What's new

creating scales

When crafting scales from blanks (1/8 - 3/8) which is the preferred saw for shaping: band or scroll? I know the band saw has more power but I'm interested in the pros and cons of each.

Thanks everyone.

A scroll saw is both generally less expensive and more precise than a band saw. A band saw is powerful and is often used to cut much thicker wood, but it also has a more difficult time cutting very sharp curves. Band saws are for broad curves in thick wood or for re-sawing lumber imo. Scroll saws are perfect for smaller items like pistol grips, knife and razor scales, and other items that remain under 3/8ths. They can also usually be found used on Craigslist or Facebook for next to nothing. I paid 50 bucks for a porter cable that I’ve probably used for 50 cutting hours, and it is in as good of shape as it was when I bought it.

Legion

Staff member
either will work fine, but I generally used a band saw because it is faster, and I am going to need to do some final sanding and shaping anyway.

Despite my affection for the scroll saw for it’s cheap entry price if you want to get into making scales, the band saw also does have an added benefit. With a rip fence you can resaw thicker lumber into suitable blanks easily with one. A scroll saw won’t do that accurately.

Top Bottom