What's new

creams > soaps

tonight i decided to have a nice, relaxing evening shave. i grabbed my smf brush and went to work on some crabtree & evelyn sandalwood soap using the techniques that scotto and mantic pointed out in the brush section.

i managed to whip up a decent lather (thanks guys) but find that the soap seems to be drying out on my skin very quickly, and makes way for some irritation. i find the same thing with tabac, which i surely thought would be a ringer.

so i went back to the drawing board, grabbed some Kiss My Face lavender moisture shave, and whipped up a steamy froth pile. :117: (i'd never heard it called that either) the shave that followed was very smooth and satisfactory. i think creams just hold their own when it comes to moisture and longevity during the shave. any ideas?

robofunk said:
tonight i decided to have a nice, relaxing evening shave. i grabbed my smf brush and went to work on some crabtree & evelyn sandalwood soap using the techniques that scotto and mantic pointed out in the brush section.

i managed to whip up a decent lather (thanks guys) but find that the soap seems to be drying out on my skin very quickly, and makes way for some irritation. i find the same thing with tabac, which i surely thought would be a ringer.

so i went back to the drawing board, grabbed some Kiss My Face lavender moisture shave, and whipped up a steamy froth pile. :117: (i'd never heard it called that either) the shave that followed was very smooth and satisfactory. i think creams just hold their own when it comes to moisture and longevity during the shave. any ideas?

Did you check out my pics/tutorial of lathering C&E sandalwood soap in the pictorials and video's section? If not, check it out, if you are not getting similar results, describe EXACTLY what you are doing - and I will ry to replicate it, figure out what is going wrong, then tell ya how to fix it!

No worries bud - come hell or high water - I'll get you setup!

Hmmmm. Try it again with some QED or similar soap and see if you get the same issue. I know that the C&E stuff doesn't work as well for me as others have posted. In my opinion their products are not as lubricating as others, though the aroma is dynamite.

Robo, anytime I use a new soap, I have to experiment with it a few times before I get a great shave. For me it always comes down to the soap/water ratio. Give it a few times using more or less water until you get what you want.

i went back to my c&e sandalwood soap, and growled. then i loaded the brush with water, drained nothing, and went to work.

i think that was the key to success. keep as much water as possible. it should make for a nice, thick and soft lather.

....can't wait to hit up the tabac!

I began the day with "Old Faithful." ToOBS Sandalwood Cream. I started using it in early October and never changed. I love it!! Great shave prep. I find that no preshave oils are necessary when I use the ToOBS creams. Great products.

I wouldn't recommend C&E soaps to anyone these days. I'd call the mediocre at best. There are so many often cheaper and far better soaps out there. If it's sandalwood you want try Haslinger, Proraso, Phoenix, Harris or some other sandalwood instead.

I haven't used C&E, but I have used Tabac. I would say you're probably taking a step up in latherability and longevity going to Tabac. I can't speak to creams, because the only one I've used is Proraso, but I've used some soaps that do a very good job holding a lather and all the other things we like while shaving (B&M comes to mind).

If you like sandalwood, try the Truefitt & Hill sandalwood soap.

I find it to be a nice mix of sandalwood and a "cologne' scent. I get great lather from the puck, and being a hard puck it will last a very long time making it cost effective. After a month straight of using it, I had made only a small indent in the top of the puck.

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

Are you guys aware of the fact that this thread was posted in August of 2005?!? That guy has probably figured out by now what soaps or creams he likes or maybe has gone back to canned goo!

KMF is a great cream that sometimes falls under the radar. I think some of it has to do with the feminine looking bottle, but it is a great cream that can boost any lather, or be used by itself. I used the Peaceful Patchouli a few days ago and got a great shave.

KMF is a great cream that sometimes falls under the radar. I think some of it has to do with the feminine looking bottle, but it is a great cream that can boost any lather, or be used by itself. I used the Peaceful Patchouli a few days ago and got a great shave.
And the fact that most stores, in my experience, don't stock it with the other shaving products. You have to go find it.

And the fact that most stores, in my experience, don't stock it with the other shaving products. You have to go find it.

That's correct. I noticed the same thing, they were keeping it with the lotions and body wash isle. Plus the bottle looks like lotion so it can be tricky to find on the shelf.

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

Are you guys aware of the fact that this thread was posted in August of 2005?!? That guy has probably figured out by now what soaps or creams he likes or maybe has gone back to canned goo!
And also... this same soap has undergone 4 reformulations since. LOL

This is happening a lot lately!

Attachments

• $image.gif
    $image.gif
    972.6 KB · Views: 25
Top Bottom