What's new

creams/soaps that dry more slowly than others?

Whether I'm taking my time with a pass or letting a first lather sit to soften the whiskers, the stuff often dries on my face within a few minutes due to the dry air here.

I can get by during the shave by going more quickly or only lathering one section at a time, but I was wondering if anyone had experience with particular creams or soaps that hold their moisture longer than others.

Well I am kind of surprised if Proraso and Musgo dried out on you. I haven't seen conclusive evidence that soaps or creams provide more moisture. It seem 3/5s of the shavers prefer soaps. But I am getting to meet older shavers with thinner skin due to age having more moisturizing shave with creams then soaps. Either way it depends of brand.

You can try controlling humidity in your bathroom. If you can, after a hot shower leave doors/ windows close so its like a little sauna in there. So with no fog mirror shave. That might a little excessive.

Maybe you can try adding little more water(few drops at a time) to your mix. So when you lather it feels little loose(not watery), but with dry air will thicken and stay moist on your beard.

Otherwise the most moisturizing products I have used are:

1903 Shave Cream
Truefitt and Hill Shave Cream
Geo F Trumper Shave Cream
DR Harris Shave soap(I haven't tried the cream yet)

One more thing you can try, I usually recommend against, is using a little oil before your preshave. It might help because you are in a very dry area. Get a few drops of olive oil or grapeseed oil and rub it in your beard. Wait 30 seconds that lather up.

Thanks for the ideas!

The oil suggestion is interesting. Lately, I've been washing the bejeezus out of my face before I shave in order to really soften the whiskers. Thing is, it makes my face squeaky clean to the point that it feels tight and dry. It occurred to me that maybe this was causing my skin to suck moisture out of the lather afterwards. If so, a preshave oil should work as a barrier, hmm...

Too much of that scrubbing will dry your skin out.

Thanks for the ideas!

The oil suggestion is interesting. Lately, I've been washing the bejeezus out of my face before I shave in order to really soften the whiskers. Thing is, it makes my face squeaky clean to the point that it feels tight and dry. It occurred to me that maybe this was causing my skin to suck moisture out of the lather afterwards. If so, a preshave oil should work as a barrier, hmm...

Top Bottom