Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Soaps

Votes: 54 85.7%
  • Gels

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Foams

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
Soaps all the way baby! Have some creams that do a wondelfull job but dont reach for them too often, gels are ok for a quick fix when traveling, but dont use them if I can avoid it, foams well... not my style.

Soaps generally last much longer than creams because of their density--especially the triple-milled soaps. I only get creams when I really love the scent, like TOBS Grapefruit, Jermyn Street, and Eton College, or if I need a tube for traveling. I haven't used gels or foams in the past couple of decades.

I usually only have 1 or 2 creams in my cupboard because I have had a cream go bad once. Soaps I don't worry about stocking up on, and there are way more scents--so I vote soaps.

I started off with creams & used them exclusively. I’ve just recently started in using soap, and I can see that’s what I’ll use exclusively from here on.

I purchased, and used a tub of TOBS when I bought my first ever safety razor(DE89) due to it being easier to produce a proper lather if you're a begginer.

Haved used nothing but soaps since.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Creams and croaps are what I use more of.
I have not really bought many soaps, except for Williams Mug, Wilkinson Sword blue tub, Speick stick, and Arko, so it's not really a fair test.

Soaps. Soaps. Soaps. Soaps.
For daily use. For traveling (Valobra stick and face lathering). For everything. Soaps.

I do have one cream, C.O. Bigelow, and I won't give it up. Love that menthol every once in a while.

Sorry. Can’t pick just one. I really like sops and I’m going through a period of. SAD. I also like creams, especially when I’m a little pressed for time. And I’d consider using a foam which is what I consider Gillette Shaving Mousse when traveling. I used Edge gel before I started on this journey and won’t go back to it. So I guess I would have to say soaps AND creams.

Foam: cheap,easy and non messy to use,FAST and with the exact same results than any soap, cream, brush combo I have ever tried.
It's a great thing when you can get a four pass BBS every morning in five minutes flat.
There is a reason why foam had 80% of the market five years after its introduction in 1949 , while all men still used DE and SE razors.

Foam: cheap,easy and non messy to use,FAST and with the exact same results than any soap, cream, brush combo I have ever tried.
It's a great thing when you can get a four pass BBS every morning in five minutes flat.
There is a reason why foam had 80% of the market five years after its introduction in 1949 , while all men still used DE and SE razors.

With modern synthetic brushes, I can't really see how using a foam or gel is much quicker than using any soap or cream if you face lather tbh. Using Foam and Gel is messy and foam and a brush is not a good mix.

A puck of soap, or a dab of cream, synthetic brush and face lathering will give you the best shave you can. Foams and gels without a brush do not get worked properly into the stubble.

With modern synthetic brushes, I can't really see how using a foam or gel is much quicker than using any soap or cream if you face lather tbh. Using Foam and Gel is messy and foam and a brush is not a good mix. it

A puck of soap, or a dab of cream, synthetic brush and face lathering will give you the best shave you can. Foams and gels without a brush do not get worked properly into the stubble.

Who said anything about using a brush?
I use the foam the way it is supposed to be used.Simply rub throughly a SMALL amount in your beard by hand and of you go. Of course the foam gets worked properly into the stubble unless millions of men since the late forties that got wonderful shaves this way were simply lucky :001_302:

The brush is an eighteenth century residue when access to hot water and bathing was problematic,you don't need it after a hot shower and face wash.

I have been shaving with a DE and canned foam since 1980 and only when I joined the...internets I "found out" that for some reasons unknown to men foam is no good :a14:

Even creams in tubes work better when applied brush less than when applied with a brush,"lather" is just air and it's importance over exaggerated, the only thing you need to shave is lubrication not air .

Last edited:
I don't shower then shave that often tbh so i need the hydration that a brush and lather give me. I find foams awfully dry to use. I think if you don't want to use a brush, gel is a much better product and gel is to foam as foam is to soap. If you are so much for modern methods, use gel.

I don't like cold foam or gel on my kisser either. With lather, it is warm and lovely and soft and.....

Ymmiv obviously :)

Top Bottom