What's new

Creams less harsh on my face.

Does anyone else have better luck with creams as far as irritation and smoothness in shaves? I do. I live in Florida and I have to say our water is terrible. I wonder how much hard water really affects the soap or if it is just my face. Any input would be appreciated. Also what is your absolute favorite cream? I am trying to get ideas as I want to increase my selection. I really like the Proraso Green tube.

Does anyone else have better luck with creams as far as irritation and smoothness in shaves? I do. I live in Florida and I have to say our water is terrible. I wonder how much hard water really affects the soap or if it is just my face. Any input would be appreciated. Also what is your absolute favorite cream? I am trying to get ideas as I want to increase my selection. I really like the Proraso Green tube.
I’d recommend cella bio. It’s the only cream I can use without irritation. It has a fresh scent and very firm consistency out of the tube.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Esox, What is your favorite one?

I only have the Wild Rose right now, but I'm waiting for other items at Connaught to come back in stock. When they do I'll be ordering some Indian Sandalwood.

The scent profile of my Rose CRS is incredible. Performance matches. My first shave with it below.

CRS Wild Rose.

To keep a baseline I'm familiar with I used my Brit clone and a fresh Feather to see if any harshness would surface. None did...

A full three pass shave and two shrinking clean ups. No issues at any point in the shave.

This cream... This cream, is very good. Its sure not afraid of water either. Like Rave said it doesnt take much so I used easily half as much as I do my CC creams. This is an older picture of how much CC cream I use, but you get the point.

img_2191-jpg.933306

That much cream generated this much lather.

img_2173-jpg.933307

Half that much CRS cream gave me twice the lather I get from my CC creams.

The performance is impressive. Its every bit as good as my WK and better. The lather from the CRS cream is smoother, creamier and more consistent and it gets to that state quicker.

The protection from WK is very good and its the most protective soap I'd used, until this morning. CRS has the same amount, and quality, of cushion as my WK with far less product used. This cream really reminded me of my WK soap, but its a smoother lather. I dont really know how to explain it. Creamier and richer but lighter with the same protection and the same protective feel.

Slickness is right there with PdP, even with a thick lather. Its -9C this morning and the furnace is blowing hot. Between passes I usually wipe my face after shaking the water off my hand. I didnt shake my hand this shave so I was using a lot more water. The lather didnt diminish, even for my second clean up. What it did do, much the same as PdP, was build. The more water I gave it, the more lather it made. I rinsed more lather out of my brush when I had finished shaving than it held after my first face lather.

In a battle of thin and slick with PdP, CRS wins. In a battle of protection with WK DM, CRS wins. Simply because it reaches the same level with less product, not to mention it was ~$14CAD shipped and my WK was $39.99CAD shipped. That, is a considerable difference. Add in performance to match with less product used, its a no brainer.

The scent. This wonderful scent. They really nailed it.

This is the scent in the tub.

red_rosebud_with_raindrops_-216494517-jpg.933308

This is the scent as I was lathering.

dark-red-rose-wallpaper_thumb-jpg.933309

The more its lathered the more it opens up, but its more than that. Lathering for my third pass it hit me. Its more than just a simple rose. Its a rose garden.

451743282_1280x720-jpg.933311

I had to concentrate a bit and think about it, but I could detect that rich deep moisture, the green of the leaves and even the fresh clean dirt. Its incredible. The only downside is, and this may only be a downside for me, it doesnt linger much at all.

I'm honestly not trying to sell any CRS creams. My description of the scent is exactly what I smelled, all of it. It blew me away.

It also kicked what remains of my Proraso soaps off my shelf because I'm running out of room. If Wickhams can hold a candle to CRS, my Stirling's and CC creams are following my Proraso. I wont be buying Wholly Kaw again.

My next order will be the CRS Sandalwood, and another tub of Wild Rose.

CRS is in my top 3 soaps/creams. The other two being Wickhams 1912 that Connaught also carries, and Pre de Provence, both soaps. Although Pre de Provence also makes creams.

@Raven Koenes has their Indian Sandalwood.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Reading over my quoted post I mention that CRS may kick my Captain's Choice creams off my shelf too. That was December of last year. My CC 45th Parallel cream is still on my shelf. I used it yesterday.

Captains Choice also makes a very nice cream. The CC Sandalwood is a fantastic scent. I've used all the CC soaps/creams except the new Venture. I can recommend them highly. If forced to pick one cream, CRS or CC, I'd pick CRS. Not an easy decision by any means though.

Some of my CC reviews below.

Captain's Choice Bay Rum - A Review

Captain's Choice Lime - A Review

Captain's Choice 45th Parallel - A Review

Captain's Choice North - A Review

@Captain Pre-Capsize of Captain's Choice is also in the B&B Vendor forum here: Captain’s Choice

Reading over my quoted post I mention that CRS may kick my Captain's Choice creams off my shelf too. That was December of last year. My CC 45th Parallel cream is still on my shelf. I used it yesterday.

Captains Choice also makes a very nice cream. The CC Sandalwood is a fantastic scent. I've used all the CC soaps/creams except the new Venture. I can recommend them highly. If forced to pick one cream, CRS or CC, I'd pick CRS. Not an easy decision by any means though.

Some of my CC reviews below.

Captain's Choice Bay Rum - A Review

Captain's Choice Lime - A Review

Captain's Choice 45th Parallel - A Review

Captain's Choice North - A Review

@Captain Pre-Capsize of Captain's Choice is also in the B&B Vendor forum here: Captain’s Choice

Thanks.
Excellent info!!

I used to feel that way and then somehow, I got pretty good at lathering in spite of my hard water. Lathering it like you hate it worked for me...

Anyway, in spite of that, I found that baume.be cream is simply fantastic for sensitive skin. I still keep some on hand at all times for those days when my face feels raw but I have to shave all the same.

proxy.php

I used to feel that way and then somehow, I got pretty good at lathering in spite of my hard water. Lathering it like you hate it worked for me...

Anyway, in spite of that, I found that baume.be cream is simply fantastic for sensitive skin. I still keep some on hand at all times for those days when my face feels raw but I have to shave all the same.

proxy.php

THANKS

proxy.php

How long do you load your brush for when using soaps?

It's funny, I saw on the back of a puck of Fine hard soap just the other day that they recommend you need to lather for at least 10 to 15 seconds. I'm good with that. Sometimes I go longer - sometimes shorter - but always longer than what would seem reasonable. But not only do I swirl that long, I push down like a champ! I get right in there lol. Soap is pretty cheap - load it like you hate it... and add a lot of water. People never seemingly add enough water!

That's me. I'll freely admit that I used cream for years though because of my hard water issues.

The relevant development group at Gillette, whilst accepting that it does vary from person to person, believed that it needs 3 minutes lathering for the beard to become fully hydrated but there is a significant near plateau after 2 minutes so their recommendation was to lather for at least 2 minutes. Personally, I notice a big difference between 2 and 3 minutes so I always lather for 3 minutes.

The relevant development group at Gillette, whilst accepting that it does vary from person to person, believed that it needs 3 minutes lathering for the beard to become fully hydrated but there is a significant near plateau after 2 minutes so their recommendation was to lather for at least 2 minutes. Personally, I notice a big difference between 2 and 3 minutes so I always lather for 3 minutes.

Thanks for the info .

Top Bottom