What's new

Creamo Cream

Has anyone used this stuff? I bought it off the author's recommendation at shaveblog. It's thick and goopy and clogs up the crevices of my razor. And I have to use a ton of it to get a respectable amount covering my face. It's a brushless cream, so it doesn't lather at all, yet the shaveblog guy called it a miracle, and I'm wondering what others' opinions on this stuff is.
 
Reidar said:
Has anyone used this stuff? I bought it off the author's recommendation at shaveblog. It's thick and goopy and clogs up the crevices of my razor. And I have to use a ton of it to get a respectable amount covering my face. It's a brushless cream, so it doesn't lather at all, yet the shaveblog guy called it a miracle, and I'm wondering what others' opinions on this stuff is.

I think it is medeocre at best. Listen to the "shaveblog guy" and you'll be stuck in the throws of medeocrity. :biggrin:
 
Ah, really? He's the one who got me interested in wet shaving, but I guess that's where I should stop, heh. I absolutely despise this stuff, and I have a big tube of it that cost $20. Oh well, experience is good. Thanks for the reply. Maybe he just wrote that so his wife wouldn't beat him up.
 
Reidar said:
Ah, really? He's the one who got me interested in wet shaving, but I guess that's where I should stop, heh. I absolutely despise this stuff, and I have a big tube of it that cost $20. Oh well, experience is good. Thanks for the reply. Maybe he just wrote that so his wife wouldn't beat him up.

I used it for a couple of months. I found it to be pretty darn good - I also found that it lathered really well. I got really comfortable shaves with Cremo Cream but the pina coloda scent got nauseating after a while. Overall, I found it to provide very good protection, good lather, and a very comfortable shave. If you're having trouble getting a lather going, remember - Cremo is water-activated .... you should be able to get it going again by just adding a little warm water. I've since moved on to other shave creams that I enjoy quite a bit more. Crabtree & Evelyn is currently my favorite with Nancy Boy trailing in a close 2nd place.

- Dave
 

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
joel said:
I think it is medeocre at best. Listen to the "shaveblog guy" and you'll be stuck in the throws of medeocrity. :biggrin:

That's not so bad. Now if you listen to the "shaveblog guy" about audio equipment, you'll be stuck in the throws of mediocrity with a $100,000 tab.

In the scheme of things, his shaving recommendations aren't all that bad. Besides, you're going to try them all, anyway. Most of his recommendations are just distillations of the opinions of guys on various shaving forums.

I still think the newbie is better served by simply reading the opinions posted on B&B.
 
I've used it and altho it's not my favorite shave cream, it's not all that bad. I think the earlier post is correct about the importance of using the right amount of water to get the stuff to lather. It definitely takes more water than my other creams, but once it gets going it's fine.

I'd rate it at a 6.5 on a 10-high scale.
 
P

PortsmouthDavid

To come to the defense of Corey (aka the shaveblog guy), I was having some issues tuning my razor and blade matches, and we exchanged a number of e-mails. Not only was his advice correct, but he was extremely courteous and helpful.

I've read a lot of the back postings of shaveblog, and IMO what happens is that he gets various temporary "enthusiasms" -- as many of us do. Then he moves on to new products. But along the way, if you separate out some of the "flavour du jour" he is digging out some very useful information about what's available in the traditional wet shaving marketplace.

OK - so not every product he gets excited about is the "ne plus ultra" that he initially claims. So what? Like all of us he is experimenting, tinkering, testing, and refining.

Cut the guy some slack, Joel! (And --btw -- if you're going to sneer at the guy, you might get the language right . . it's "throes" not "throws.")

--David
 
I'm sorry for intrusion, but could I ask about Alum block. Good/Bad.
Or, on which thread I may ask a question. Search did not turn up any answers.

Regards, Anthony.
 
Riffdiver said:
I'm sorry for intrusion, but could I ask about Alum block. Good/Bad.
Or, on which thread I may ask a question. Search did not turn up any answers.

Regards, Anthony.
You've already asked it... HERE.:001_smile Like all things for wet shaving the block has its devotees and its detractors. For what do you wish to use it? Styptic? Aftershave skin toner? Deodorant? It does have a number of uses.. I bet you could probably grind it up and use it for a laxative! Man, talk about covering all ends.. Answer those questions and we can figure out where to post the thread.
I find it nice, on occassion, as a facial astringent after shaving. I've used it once or twice for a styptic. It worked reasonably well, but you soil it with blood and have to scrub it clean. A styptic pencil for $2 is more cost effective and simpler to use. I tried it once or twice for a deodorant. Eh, not my thing. Was joking about the laxative, so no comment there.
 
Regarding the Cremo... I posted a review of it in the reviews section a week or two or three ago. I loved it when I tried it... I still think it works beautifully WITH a brush, but you MUST add water. It stays slick throughout the shave, and you cant say that about many/most creams. (I agree with Dave (DJR7572): the scent gets to you after a few shaves. It's clearly coconut, a strange choice for a shaving cream meant to be used daily, but since I got into it, I still haven't gotten back to it.)

OUCH: I do agree that B&B is an invaluable place to get various, valuable (or invaluable), fairly educated opinions about all the exciting things that can be included in wet shaving. Having said that, I do like to read what Corey says & thinks about products... In the beginning, I used to search his blog for all kinds of products and got some informative hits on his blog.

For a newbie, however, (which I probably still am), B & B is THE hub for good natured, well-spoken, information.
 
guenron said:
I find it nice, on occassion, as a facial astringent after shaving. I've used it once or twice for a styptic. It worked reasonably well, but you soil it with blood and have to scrub it clean. A styptic pencil for $2 is more cost effective and simpler to use. I tried it once or twice for a deodorant. Eh, not my thing. Was joking about the laxative, so no comment there.

Thank you, Ron. I was thinking about facial astringent, to close pores after shaving, before applying A/S balm. Alcohol based after shaves do not work good for me. My skin gets irritated. Or maybe I'm using wrong aftershaves. I have never used Alum block, only heard and read about it.

Anthony.
 
Anthony,

For a slightly astringent aftershave that has moisturizing properties, I LOVE the Nancy Boy Cooling After-shave Gel. I have normal-to-oily skin, prone to breakouts, but what's nice about this stuff is that it has a slight astringent feel to it, because it has witch hazel, but the texture is a gel that's not oily.
- I alternate the Nancy Boy Gel with the Trumper's Skin Food, pretty much back and forth, daily.

The Nancy Boy Cooling After-shave Gel can be found by clicking on the following URL:

http://www.nancyboy.com/product.php?productid=16268&cat=253&page=1
 
joel said:
I think it is medeocre at best. Listen to the "shaveblog guy" and you'll be stuck in the throws of medeocrity. :biggrin:

I think I have to disagree here too.... Corey's article is the one that started me on wet shaving. After reading the article when it came out, I went through and back-read his blog. He is a good writer and did an informative blog IMO. If you go back and read it, he comes to the conclusion that a reasonably decent brush (Vulfix), a good shave cream (from the Ts), an inexpensive decent razor (HD) and the right technique (all you) are all you need to consistently great shave everyday - and he is correct. He also stated that what worked for him might not work for you and your water so experiment if necessary. Keep in mind he is/was wooing people over to DE shaving from many of the problems with Mach3s and Edge gel that most of us used to have. Since he has hit that nirvana of the irritation-free shave, it is now more of a new product review/what's new in shaving blog as I think he just gets sent crap to review by all the manufactures now it seems. The reviewing new stuff, in a sense, is not really different from what we do here with all the ADs floating around that I have been especially guilty of lately... Sticking with what he generally recommended in "the" article is far from mediocrity IMO. Oh, and I have not tried Cremo Cream. :smile:
 
One of the other things to remember about Corey's shaveblog site is that he is after all in the business of entertainment (tech editor on the Today show, for goodness' sake). If it wasn't obvious enough from that, the extra effort he goes to to find humorous/semirelevant images for the blog postings, the deliberate showmanship in choice of words, etc should be the tipoff. The theatrics of sweeping the table of razors and goo into the trash can on his Today show spot is another example.

I doubt he really sits down and thinks "gosh, what would be the most entertaining/controversial thing I could say?", but he's a) in the show business, and b) runs a very popular site, and that just plain will affect what he chooses to present and how he presents it. As much as he may try and claim it's just a personal blog, it can't be because of its very public nature.

And there's nothing wrong with that, either. But I have seen Shaveblog postings get all kinds of comment on forums (everything from the above, where folks don't agree with his reviews, to some "ZOMG I CANT BELEIVE HE MADe FUN OF PEOPLE WHO USE BOWLS 4 [email protected]!!" threads on other shaving message boards).

And shaving's just weirdly personal. As I mentioned in another thread, the "oh so nice" Taylor's Rose cream doesn't work well for me when it works great for many others. Corey didn't see the point of the Merkur slant bar, and I've seen other posters who swear it gives them the closest, most irritation-free shave they've ever had (I'm gettin' me one for father's day just to try it out, but I dunno--the ol' HD Classic is doing me great).

What it comes down to is that the shaveblog site is just one enthusiast's opinion--a very entertaining opinion, and one which at least gives you exposure to a ton of products--but it's just someone's opinion. He's no more an expert on the subject than many people on these forums, and probably much less of one than a lot of folks. I read his site--but that's because it's fun, not because it's gospel. It's not a bad place to start learning about the subject--you just shouldn't stop there.
 
NYLaw said:
Anthony,

For a slightly astringent aftershave that has moisturizing properties, I LOVE the Nancy Boy Cooling After-shave Gel. I have normal-to-oily skin, prone to breakouts, but what's nice about this stuff is that it has a slight astringent feel to it, because it has witch hazel, but the texture is a gel that's not oily.
- I alternate the Nancy Boy Gel with the Trumper's Skin Food, pretty much back and forth, daily.

The Nancy Boy Cooling After-shave Gel can be found by clicking on the following URL:

http://www.nancyboy.com/product.php?productid=16268&cat=253&page=1


Thank you very much, NYLaw. I was looking for the product that contains WH, even I do not know how it will work for me. I have only heard that it might be alcohol based.That one is NON alcohol based. I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks again.
 
vputz said:
One of the other things to remember about Corey's shaveblog site is that he is after all in the business of entertainment (tech editor on the Today show, for goodness' sake). If it wasn't obvious enough from that, the extra effort he goes to to find humorous/semirelevant images for the blog postings, the deliberate showmanship in choice of words, etc should be the tipoff. The theatrics of sweeping the table of razors and goo into the trash can on his Today show spot is another example.
My thoughts exactly. Corey's article was what put me "over the edge" to get into wet shaving too, as for so many guys, but fundamentally he's just a shaving enthusiast like any of us. Sadly, he's also one prone to throwing incendiaries and yelling "FIRE" in crowded theaters. One of the reasons Corey doesn't get cut much slack around here is that he doesn't just make good-natured fun of those of us on forums like B&B, he gets antagonistic about it, and has actually told some real, damaging falsehoods about, as an example, the process of releasing the SMF I brush, that still rankle.

Anyhow, he's mostly harmless, but because of past indiscretions, persona non grata around here.

-Rich
 

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
PortsmouthDavid said:
(And --btw -- if you're going to sneer at the guy, you might get the language right . . it's "throes" not "throws.")

--David

Hey, I knew that. That's what I get for relying on "cut and paste".:lol:
 
Reidar said:
Has anyone used this stuff? I bought it off the author's recommendation at shaveblog. It's thick and goopy and clogs up the crevices of my razor. And I have to use a ton of it to get a respectable amount covering my face. It's a brushless cream, so it doesn't lather at all, yet the shaveblog guy called it a miracle, and I'm wondering what others' opinions on this stuff is.

I didn't experience any of these difficulties. I put it on very thinly, per package directions, and although it's touted as a brushless, I used my brush to work up a phenomenal quantity of rich, most lather. The more water I used, the better the lather got. Rinsing the razor was no problem whatsoever because of the very small quantity of product that I used. The shave? Great--with a rich, moist, highly lubricating lather. I'm definitely keeping it along with twenty or so other products. (OK--I admit it--I have SCAD. And who doesn't?)
Eric
 
It works very well, but it does work better brushless. I find it provides the sort of slipperiness I usually only get with a hard soap, with the cushion I expect from a cream. Like many others here, I don't like the smell (I get a pina colada/blue cheese smell) but it's my lather of choice if I'm trying out a new razor blade, or am too sleepy to pay close attention but need to shave anyway. It was the only lather to tame the Feather AC for me, but I wasn't about to suffer needlessly for that thing.
 
Top Bottom