What's new

Creamer VS. Black

I'm not sure what's the bigger culprit of thin bitter coffee. The cans of cheap grounds at the grocery store or the electric drip brewers that fill the carafe far too quickly and don't give the grounds time to steep.
Grew up with parents that used Bunn machines that would make a solid stream of lightly colored water flow through that was extremely bitter. I have a cheap Black and Decker that takes much longer to brew and is much smoother and more flavorful. Always used creamer and sugar with those.

Now drinking my first cup from a french press steeped for 6 minutes. Thick almost oily black coffee with chocolate notes and no bitterness at all.

Somepeople say, its water temperature that pays into a bitter cup..

Somepeople say, its water temperature that pays into a bitter cup..

Temp, pressures, different beans,different roasts, different grinds, water quality, freshness and brew methods I'm sure all affect the coffee. Just mentioning something I've experienced.
I used to flip the lid on that Bunn carafe and set the filter cup of grinds down in it so it would backfill to let the coffee grounds steep and it greatly improved the coffee for me.
My company also makes these drink machines that you load with pouches that brews single serve cups in seconds and every type I've tried is fairly bitter and acidic.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I just recalled a remark I once heard about non-dairy creamer:

"I don't want you to have to tell me what my food is not."

I just recalled a remark I once heard about non-dairy creamer:

"I don't want you to have to tell me what my food is not."

I feel the same way about "imitation Crab" that is often served in sushi rolls.

If they would just call it what it really is, Alaskan Pollack, I'd like it a lot more.

Used to drink coffee with cream or milk. Stopped over a year ago and now it's black with a little sugar. I prefer to use an Aeropress or Moka Pot with italian coffee. I find Italian coffee to be less bitter with a much lower acidity than most other typical north american brand/roasted coffees. I don't like acidic coffee...

BTW the powdered coffee whitener... we call it white death or heifer dust... terrible stuff...

I think most of America would be pleasantly surprised how sweet a properly roasted and prepared cup of coffee actually is. Most people want "strong" coffee so they drink dark roasts which makes the coffee taste bitter (but strong), the reality is the longer (read darker roast) you roast a bean the more caffeine evaporates out of it so it is actually weaker. This is part of the reason most coffee in the U.S. is so bitter, and needs cream and sugar.

Thin, bitter, American coffee is awful. I like Bustelo in my Moka pot, usually with a little sugar. "Creamer" is the problem word here. That chemical powder is awful, but a shot of good cream makes my daily double even better.

There's only one correct way to drink coffee, the as there's only one correct way to drink scotch.

The way you like it.

Bustelo is the best inexpensive coffee I've ever had. It is like the Arko (or other favorite inexpensive shaving soap/cream here) of coffee. Sure, there is better stuff, but it is consistently good and cheap as chips.

Top Bottom