What's new

Creamer VS. Black

Just curious which you prefer. Creamer in your coffee for a sweet, gentle wake me up softly, cup in the morning? Or straight up black, punch me in the face, bitter cup of coffee to start your day?

You'd be surprised at all of the nuanced flavors in good coffee. If you are just buying pre ground Folgers, I can see why you might want to hide the flavor. Go get a decent bag of cofffee. Whole is better, but ground if you really need to. Try making it and just drinking with a splash of milk. The milk will make it a bit milder, but you can actually taste the coffee without the sugar masking things.

Last edited:
Black coffee to me is bitter. Then again, I am only 19 and don't have any hair on my chest, so that could be it.

How does one obtain such a coffee?
It is quite difficult to find a cup of coffee in America that I would even call decent. In America we make many mistakes with our coffee for instance we usually over roast the beans making the resulting brew taste stronger, really bitter, and funnily actually weaker (the longer a bean is roasted the more caffeine evaporates out). So like Italian, and French roasts which Americans like because they taste stronger are actually weaker. Also Americans mostly under extract with water at too low a temperature 99% of drip coffee makers don't get the water to a high enough temperature. Also the beans most often used are stale and improperly ground.

If you ever find someone who makes a decent espresso shot you will be surprised at how sweet it actually is, I have found a shop "near" me by this I mean about 30 miles.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
If I'm just drinking "coffee," I take it black. Now, I will have an occasional cappuccino, but those are very few and far between. About half the time I'm out for some good Vietnamese, I like to finish with a ca phe sua nong (strong coffee mixed with some sweetened condensed milk).

I'll never, ever, ever reach for that "creamer" stuff, though. It's little more than sugar, vegetable oil, and flavoring. I hate to sound all high and mighty, but that stuff is pure evil.

Any black coffee will have some bitterness to it. That's just part of the game, and it's part of the reason we enjoy it. However, coffee does not have to remind one of harshly bitter, acrid ashes, much in the way most of us Americans are introduced to it. That pot of Folgers or Maxwell House that's been sitting on the warming burner for forty-five minutes is something like the two-year-old, frostbitten chicken nuggets you might find in the back of the freezer. Yeah, it gets the job done, but it's not exactly something to enjoy. There's little wonder why folks look to add something, anything to improve it. After all, those frostbitten nuggets aren't so bad once they're smothered in barbeque sauce and mustard.

Even a slightly better coffee (even a mass market one), freshly brewed, can make a huge difference. I see Chock Full o' Nuts tossed around as one worth checking out. Where I was growing up, Community and Seaport coffee were great alternatives, and their prices were right in line with the bigger boys. Of course, if you can manage something even better, well, that's . . . better! However, I know that my choices were pretty well limited by my budget when I was nineteen. Maybe splurge now and then.

Of course, you can't beat freshly brewed coffee from freshly ground beans that are freshly roasted. That's not to hard to do at home, but it can be pretty tough in an office environment. Again, it's probably worth doing what you can.

I know we're talking coffee, but another alternative is tea. Loose leaf tea is not hard to deal with in any environment where you can get clean, hot water. If you can't manage loose leaf, then there are some pretty decent bagged teas, as well. Don't worry about anyone giving you a look, either. Just rock it.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I like a double Mexican robusto espresso with a blop of sweetened condensed milk. Or very strong pourover Luzianne chicory blend, same way. And I like my cappuccino made from 8 oclock columbian, in the mornings, but the steaming releases lactose from the milk and adding sugar would be overkill. However for tasting a new to me bean, I always go black, and when drinking the cat pee that most people call coffee I dont bother putting anything in it because it is a lost cause anyhow. I just want to let it cool a bit and slam it down and get it over with lol. If I make a good just-ground pourover or FP coffee, I prefer it black, usually.

How does one obtain such a coffee?

A lighter roasted coffee brewed properly. Depending on where you're at in Texas, there's a number of specialty coffee shops that will roast lighter than what everyone is accustomed to.

If you don't mind mail order, Onyx Coffee Lab is in Bentonville Arkansas and roast some great beans.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Most coffee is black with a little sugar. Café con leche I will use a half and half mixture of condensed milk and whole milk, scalded and frothed.

Top Bottom