What's new

Cream similar to discontinued Dove?

Hello all,

Been using Dove Men+Care Expert shave cream (in the tub) with Feather blades for a while now. Enjoyed the combo, never had a bad shave with it. As most know, they've discontinued the cream and I'm left trying to find a similar replacement :(.

Tried Proraso red, as everyone seems to love it. Not sure if I did something wrong, but I hated it. Used my brush as recommended (also tried face lathering, same result). Was almost too thick, and couldn't feel the blade at all. Literally felt like I'd left the blade out and was running the empty razor over my face. Cut like it too, required many passes. When I rinsed, it rinsed very easily as if there was no slickness at all either.

Then tried Neutrogena clearing cream, thinking the salicylic acid may be good for my bumps anyway. It didn't protect well at all, was almost the opposite of the Proraso. Know it's meant to be a thin cream, but the Dove was too and it protected. Difference is, the Dove was very slick. This stuff, not so much. Rinsed away easily as the Proraso did.

I'm used to the Dove being very slick. Required several rinses to get the slickness off. Didn't really lather, but worked well. So, has anyone used the discontinued Dove and can recommend a similar product? See they make a cream in a tube now, wonder if it's similar...

Can buy the discontinued stuff on eBay, may just do that for now. Will eventually have to find a replacement though, so that's just a band-aid I'm afraid.

Thanks guys,

Joe

I also use Dove Expert shave in the tub, and like it. Disappointing to find out it's discontinued. Sounds like you might like Cremo. Very slick and protective, yet you can feel the blade. I actually like Cremo better than the Dove, although it's close.

Joe,

We had opposite reactions. I tried the Dove cream and wasn't a fan, but I love Proraso red (along with all of their other products). I have a very lightly used tub of the Dove cream that I need to dispose of, might as well give it a good home. PM me a mailing address and I will send it your way if you are interested.

John

John,

May trade you then! Might give it one more try, not sure yet.

Do you think maybe I did something wrong with the Proraso? I don't claim to be an expert at this lol. Consistency was kind of like mousse if that makes sense lol. Maybe wasn't wet enough?

As far as Kiss My Face and Cremo, I'll keep them in mind. Thanks guys, what a great forum!

Joe

Tried Proraso red, as everyone seems to love it. Not sure if I did something wrong, but I hated it. Used my brush as recommended (also tried face lathering, same result). Was almost too thick, and couldn't feel the blade at all. Literally felt like I'd left the blade out and was running the empty razor over my face. Cut like it too, required many passes. When I rinsed, it rinsed very easily as if there was no slickness at all either.

Joe

From your description, you may not have used enough water.

I was pleasantly surprised at the performance of Dove Men+Care Hydrate+ Pro-Moisture Shave Cream. Slick and takes a little more splashing to rinse off. Some claim to have problems lathering it, but I didn't have an issue.

Try musgo real and you might find it similar in terms of performance.
As for proraso give it more opportunities it is good stuff.

Top Bottom