What's new

Cream Recommendations for a "Soap Guy"

There probably is a thread in the section of the forum somewhere but please excuse my impatience.

I am mainly a hard soap in a mug, face latherer. :straight: I do use some Bigelow in a tube at home and for travel. I enjoy Cella but that is more of a soft soap. I have plenty of soaps "on deck" to keep me going for a couple years. I'm wondering if I am missing out on some variety with not exploring some good creams. What should be on my list? Thanks for your advice.

Castle Forbes Lavender and/or Lime. A hardish cream you can load like a soap, and performance top notch. Don't be off put by the higher than usual price.....a little goes a long way with these.

There probably is a thread in the section of the forum somewhere but please excuse my impatience.

I am mainly a hard soap in a mug, face latherer. :straight: I do use some Bigelow in a tube at home and for travel. I enjoy Cella but that is more of a soft soap. I have plenty of soaps "on deck" to keep me going for a couple years. I'm wondering if I am missing out on some variety with not exploring some good creams. What should be on my list? Thanks for your advice.

Any of the 4 fragrances of cream that AoS is selling. I own 2 different and have smelled all 4. All "El Perfecto" as I smells them ( And they work great to boot....lol)

My favorite creams (in the order I like them)

Trumpers coconut oil cream
Truefitt & Hill (any scent, they are all great)
Kiss My Face (any scent, they are all great)

Truefitt and Hill are always grand, another couple of my favourites are:
Coate's - starts off like a soap but saturates to be cream-like
Penhaligon's - a great lather and the best I've smelt, particularly "Blenheim Bouquet"

If you're looking to try out shaving cream and you don't want to commit to a full tub, Connaught Shaving sells 10ml sample sizes of various Taylor of Bond Street (TOBS) shaving cream scents. They're less than $2 each and they all smell pretty good. A member in this forum was kind enough to share with me some of their own TOBS with me. I like "Mr Taylor" best personally. TOBS is easy to lather and it's a wonderful shaving cream.

I'm mostly a soap user, but I keep a tub of TOBS Rose and several tubs of Cyril R Salter creams on hand, mostly for summertime. I'll take a tub of Salter any day over CF, Harris and other high end creams that I've had.

If you're looking to try out shaving cream and you don't want to commit to a full tub, Connaught Shaving sells 10ml sample sizes of various Taylor of Bond Street (TOBS) shaving cream scents. They're less than $2 each and they all smell pretty good. A member in this forum was kind enough to share with me some of their own TOBS with me. I like "Mr Taylor" best personally. TOBS is easy to lather and it's a wonderful shaving cream.

Great idea! I got a very small sample from Garry's Sample Shop of the Mr. Taylor and like the scent. It would be good to sample a few others before ordering a tub. I should have asked in my first post... Of these creams, how are their lathering qualities?

My favorite creams:
  • T&H particularly Ultimate Comfort.
  • Proraso
  • AK 1869
  • AOS

Very nice suggestions, Sir :thumbup:

If the original thread poster wants a cream that is kind of croap like & has to be handled like a soap by dipping the wet brush in the pot, I would suggest avoiding AOS and the 3 T's cream, because they are all very soft in texture but they all perform marvelous though.......

But look at these creams if you want something that resembles a soap more:

1. Acqua Di Parma POT VERSION ONLY
2. Acca Kappa 1869 POT VERSION ONLY
3. Santa Maria Novella POT VERSION ONLY
4. DR HARRIS Arlington POT VERSION ONLY
5. DR HARRIS Marlborough POT VERSION ONLY
6. Castle Forbes Lavender
7. Castle Forbes Lime
8. Fitjar Folgefonn POT VERSION ONLY - this is harder in texture than the other Fitjar pots
9 Doro - any of the 3 pots will work really.....almond, eucalyptus & peppermint
10. Mix of Musgo Real & Speick tube versions. This blend will give you the lanolin from the Musgo Real, the glycerin from both and even though they are soft in texture the shave they give you is both creamy, smooth and very close. Try this reasonable cheap mix of these two very great performing shaving creams. One of my favorite shaving cream mixes.

Let me add the T&H sampler to your list. You get can 2-3 shaves with each packet (8 or 9 scents) for 9$. I have liked every scent so far except for the lime, YMMV. You can get it through the T&H site with the B&B discount. They have provided me plenty of cushion and good glide for really remarkable shaves. Variety, my friend. :smile:

http://www.truefittandhill.com/items_37.html

Missing out on some convenience as you have already noticed and mentioned (creams are just easier and quicker to load, in general)

I do think there are some good creams you would be "missing out on" like some of the 3 T's, those are very good quality and great scents. The Croaps are nice too, you called Cella a "soft soap" not sure if that's included in the soaps you use.

I think you are "missing" some scents and possibly a small tweak in performance, but I would think you could find a soap to match the performance of any cream. The variety of scents, maybe some unique lathering qualities, would be all I could think of you missing out on....

I'm also confused as to how you want to "load with a brush like a soap."
I would think you could rub your brush against a tub of cream, I just would do it lightly because it will pick it up very quickly. Sure you can load with a croap, but it is still a mix between the cream and soap, it definitely isn't the 2 minute swirling just to load the brush.

If you are looking for random variety I think you should go for it. If something you really like is loading the brush, warming the soap and getting it ready to load, maybe that's a prep/ritual that you enjoy....not sure if a cream will add anything to that...

I am mainly a hard soap in a mug, face latherer. :straight: .... I'm wondering if I am missing out on some variety with not exploring some good creams. What should be on my list?

TOBS Avocado works well for a soap guy like me. Just load the brush from the tub and face lather as usual.

Top Bottom