What's new

Cream Noob - What should I try?

C.O. Bigelow cream is the same stuff as Proraso Green and is a must-try in my opinion. At 5 bucks for a small tube and 10 for a big one at Bath & Body Works, it's a pretty low-risk investment.

The first time I used it I fell in love.

Even if I am not a huge fan, you should try Proraso (or Bigelow, if you should find that easier to get) and decide for yourself what all that talk is about.

But by no means end your search with Proraso; move on and explore other creams too. There are too many excellent creams out there to focus solely on a product like Proraso.

Musgo Real is an excellent suggestion and favourite of mine, and so are the much cheaper Nivea (Sensitive if you can, otherwise Mild or Original) and (European) Palmolive creams.

British creams can also quite good, Taylor of Old Bond Street (TOBS) or D.R. Harris spring to mind. After years of buying TOBS, I now lean more towards D.R. Harris, as Harris offers also a wide range of shaving sticks (for travel) and excellent hard soaps, which are not generally a strong point of British manufacturers.

B.

I got proraso green as my first cream and didn't like it. Turns out I was lathering wrong. So I learned a lesson that only set me back a few bucks. Now, I Have owned several of the big Ts from London, and still find myself reaching for proraso green and razorock almost every day. Those are the two cheapest creams in my den.

My vote: start with something cheap, get your technique down, then move to the nicer ones.

I would go straight for the best product, which for me is Castle Forbes. Pricey, but extremely efficient in use! Personally I adore the lavender scented version, but the lime's not bad either.

I totally agree with one of the above, where someone said they were disappointed with the smells of the typical English brands, which were described as "fake aroma's". I would add to that that some of the scents are based on ye olde classical colognes. Which is not bad if you like those, but personally I'm over those old men's barber scents, and I prefer something more ... modern.

The Castle Forbes scents are quite "mono" though, meaning one single (albeit extremely well done) scent. If you want something more complex, do try the wonderful baume.be shaving cream.

Something different still: Alvarez Gomez Barberia shaving cream, which has a very nice smell as well.

A few years ago I would have said Domenico Caraceni, but unfortunately that one's out of production. :sad:

A lot of people like Proraso green, but personally I find it technically/efficiency wise just average (which is not necessarily a bad thing given the low price) but the scent .... I just can't stand it. Let's say that it gives you a good price/quality ratio if you can stand the smell. But there are a lot of better creams out there!

Last edited:
In the stream of good/great creams to try, i strongly suggest your try Cella. Italian made, as is Proraso. Cella is amazing.

I agree Cella is quite nice at a good price point. But isn't it technically a soap, although a soft one (like Martin de Candre) ?

C.O Bigelow is a must try, the quality at the price point is hard to beat. Geo F Trumpers Violet because it smells so dang good, men can like floral scents and this one is beautiful. Cyril l Salter is another great performer at a great price and won the 2014 B&B award for that reason. AOS lemon and sandalwood are both nice and perform well but honestly cyril salter is just as good as AOS.

Last edited:
I agree Cella is quite nice at a good price point. But isn't it technically a soap, although a soft one (like Martin de Candre) ?

Yeh it's technically a soft soap. I just thought I'd mention it as some people and places regard it (and other soft soaps) as a type of 'cream', but yes it's a soft soap.

I like Proraso and TOBS creams. And Palmolive is supposed to be a good cream but I haven't tried it yet, since I have the sticks.

Also, if you have one nearby, you can try Art of Shaving sandalwood cream. They'll give you a free sample from my experience.

Godrej would be one to consider. Used it this morning for the first time in ages. I forgot how good it is. It's very easy to lather and gives a great shave.

Available online and often in Indian supermarkets/stores.

Top Bottom