What's new

Cream Noob - What should I try?

I love SOAP!!! Soap works great for me, soap meets all my needs! But I have never given creams a fair chance and have only really tried one from the drugstore. I'm ready to try some creams and see what all is out there. What are your favorite creams, whats worth a try? Thanks guys, Happy Thanksgiving CONUS! :biggrin1:

Depends what soaps and scents you tend to like.

Hard to go wrong with Trumper Coconut, Speick cream, TOBS Grapefruit, Proraso in the flavor of your choice....

Im 2 shaves into a tube of CO Bigelow for my first cream i dont have it dialed in yet but even without a great lather its a great shave i cant wait to get it right plus its in Bath and Body works cant beat being able to walk into a store for something local.

I really enjoy TOBS Sandalwood, Jermyn Street, and Shaving Shop. Those are likely my three favorite creams that I have.

TOBS, GFT, T&H, DRH...any of the english staples. Just pick your favourite scents. Proraso is a classic and for something different I'd say Palmolive.

I would try a known quantity that you see discussed on this board constantly.

Proraso
Speick
TOBS
Geo F.
T&H

Pick a scent you like and know that these creams have produced great results for members for years and lather with confidence.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Biotique Bio Palmyra from India is the only cream I use and it's spectacular at making lather. There is a very long thread about it started by Alex2363 who also has a YouTube video of it. I got my 2nd tub from a stocking dealer in NJ on Amazon.

I am relatively new to wet shaving (about 2 months in and yes, I'm addicted) and I've been on the search to find what creams work best for me, however, I've been hesitant to buy a big tub of cream for $18 and up if I find out that I'm not crazy about it, whether it's the latherability, efficacy, scent, or whatever. So I found the perfect thing for me...getting samples via The Shave Den (http://www.theshavedenshop.com/index.php?_a=product&product_id=101). I bought a 6-pack of samples which included some Castle Forbes, Truefitt and Hill, TOBS, Musgo, and Nancy Boy Signature.
I like all of them but, to me, there has been one standout so far...Nancy Boy. This stuff gives me the best cushion, is very slick, and has a pleasant, unobtrusive scent. It lathers incredibly well and the most important thing to me is that I have had zero irritation after using this cream. Of course, YMMV but I would suggest that if you're in the market of trying different creams, give the samples a try. This way you minimize your investment and lower your risk.

I would try any truefitt and hill.
+1
I've tried two, Trafalgar and West Indian Limes, and they are both wonderful. Not easy on the wallet, but wonderful.

I really enjoy TOBS Sandalwood, Jermyn Street, and Shaving Shop. Those are likely my three favorite creams that I have.
+1
I haven't tried a TOBS cream yet that didn't perform well. In addition to Shaving Shop and Jermyn St. try the Eton College, Avocado. Grapefruit, and St. James. ALL are great!!

In addition, you owe it to yourself to try Speick. Also, Maca Root from The Body Shop is a wonderful performer.

Good luck on your search.

I love creams, but I've some disappointing results from a few of the more famous English brands: lurid dyes and fake aromas.

If I were starting out now, I'd try Speick and Cyril R. Salter first. Neither is very expensive. The Speick (in a tube) lathers really well and gives me a smooth and comfortable shave. The scent is herbal and a bit unusual. I find it pleasant and refreshing

Salter creams are a great bargains, in their big tubs. I have two, almond and wild rose. If you like floral scents, try the rose: it smells like a real garden rose, of all things. Not to strong. Good performer.

If you're looking to economize I'd ditto the TOBS (I have two) and Cyril Salter (I have none yet) suggestions. Those are 50% the cost of the other British mainstays that have already been mentioned. Of what I do have, I'd give the nod to D.R. Harris and luckily I found those on sale. My Honorable Mention goes to Real Shaving Company, often on sale at Rite Aid.

My two favorite creams are Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood and TOBS Eton College. On the less expensive side Proraso Red, Blue , or green are worth a try.

T&H and Geo F Trumper are appropriately priced and excellent all around mid-tier creams, and must tries no matter who you are.

Proraso without a doubt is a must try. My favorite is the Menthol/green range.
The other that i also love is Taylors of Old Bond Street (TOBS). Awesome shave and feel everytime.

In the stream of good/great creams to try, i strongly suggest your try Cella. Italian made, as is Proraso. Cella is amazing.

The other one that rarely gets a mention, but i personally love, is the Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera cream. Lovely lather and feels incredible on the skin.https://www.google.com.au/search?cl...a=X&ei=Isl3VMLFLuHtmgXM_YD4Bg&ved=0CBsQvwUoAA

Top Bottom