What's new

Cream for oily skin

I have a lot of soaps and croaps but I feel like an awful CAD lately. :pipe: So, looking for a tube (not necessarily) creams that are good for oily skin. I am leaning toward cheaper stuff La Toja Classic (I have a stick and love it), LEA Classic and Pro and Proraso Green. All of them are pretty cheap so would be easy to get them all at once. Then, there is stuff like T&H Ultimate Comfort which looks nice by the ingredients list but cannot tell how it goes with oily skin. And costs way more than rest of the bunch.

There is lots of options out there but mostly, they are packed with too much oils and/or moisturizing stuff that I do not want. With soaps I have learned that less is more what comes to ingredients. All I am after is a great performing stuff with clean and non oily post shave feel.

Any thoughts on above creams mentioned?

I too have oily skin

After reading the title but Before reading your post fully, both La Toja and Proraso Green crossed my mind. So, it seems that you are on the right track! I’d start with these two

I have no experience with Lea, but I’m sure it’s a good cream too. My other recommendation would be Speick cream. Cheap, all natural, and very good performance

these budget creams will perform as well as the more expensive English creams. The English creams have fancier packaging and more sophisticated scents, but performance wise, in my personal experience, is not proportional to what they cost. They are very good, though, but no better. Only exception is Castle Forbes, which for me is the “creme de la creme” (pun intended) among soft shaving creams

Castle forbes seem to have aloe high in the ingredients list. Which is a no for me as I get all red areas with high aloe content. Otherwise might be excellent product.

speick is really good imo. Very clean formula (one of the cleanest), in a small tube. Not too expensive either with a great lavender scent. Perfect residual and post-shave that is neither dry or oily.

Ok. Ordered some Speick, Proraso Green and Proraso Yellow. Two tubes each. Fun to see how these inexpensive creams compare to higher end soaps. La Toja cream might come later but as I do have 10 sticks of that already, I am not yet into it. I suppose there is not so much difference between stick and tube.

Proraso Yellow? There's no such cream as far as I know. Is it Wood and Spice maybe?

Anyway, enjoy and let us know your opinion once you used them

Ordered two tubes of La Toja anyway. When they all are here there will be a battle of the budget creams:straight:

Congrats in the purchase and I look forward to hearing how the battle turns out.

I've been pleased with Proraso Green and Red for a budget cream. Seems to do everything well and gets along with my skin type.

Today was a Speick day. This turned out to be a real surprise how good could a cream at this price point be. 2cm at the bottom of my bowl did enough lather for a four pass (did only two). Lathered was usable VERY fast, in a minute or so using quite wet Semogue 610 boar. Slickness and cushion was pretty optimal for me, feel and scent during the shave absolute top notch. Beautiful, subtle scent that did the main purpose of feeling fresh and clean.

After the shave, could not be better. Really. There is nothing I could wish to be better. No irritation, no oiliness, no stickiness. Just pure, clean feel.

This will definitely go right on top of my soaps, even so cheap product. Only complain comes from a size of a tube. Wish it was 150ml.
But, can be fixed to buy ten instead of five:thumbup1:

Definitely consider buying both aftershave lotion and balm to go with this.

Hardware/Software used : Tatara Nodachi OC, BIC blade, Semoque 610 boar, Proraso green pre-shave, Vifrex gel.

Last edited:
Proraso Green.

Had high hopes on this one. Disappointed a bit. I love Proraso Green aftershave lotion and whole green line in general. But this did not quite deliver. Added about the same amount (2cm) to my bowl and started whipping. Took a bit more effort to build nice lather, about three-four minutes. Compared to Speick, lather was a bit thinner but still nice enough. At the shave itself, slickness was ok, but had noticeable more drag and less slickness all the way. Also cushion and protection seemed to be slightly less than Speick. Overall, shave was ok. No irritation. But had to be a bit more careful than previous.

May be, that I had not dialed in this cream and this might be a bit better if used a bit more product and maybe a slightly less water. Will try that next time.

Same hardware/software.

By the results so far, Speick > Proraso Green

I agree that Speick is superior to Proraso green. BUT, Speick is also much more thirsty than Proraso. Try Proraso again with less water and you will see improvements in cushioning and slickness

Think of your skin oil as a natural pre-shave :thumbup:

Your choice of face wash and aftershave might be more important than your shaving cream.

Otherwise citrus and menthol tend to have a drying effect for some creams. Hard soaps will be more drying than soft soaps. The hard soap versions of popular creams like La toja, Speick, Lea etc. might help for oily skin.

My natural skin oil as a pre-shave does not work. Believe me, I need a wash before shave. Which I have settled to do with MWF bath soap bar. If I skip that, I will definitely regret that. La Toja stick is excellent, I have 10 sticks of those already. And about 50 different other soaps. Hard and croaps. But new to creams, have only Captain Fawcett and SMN (well, I think this is more like a croap than cream).

I am just having awful itch to try some creams at the moment. And I honestly believe, that more simple and basic formulas are better for oily skin. For example, SV soaps tend to be too oily and too stuffed up with all 'goodies' that some days they are just too much but sometimes I manage to use them.

For an aftershave definitely I prefer splashes, but there are also nice balms like SMN Non Alcoholic Emulsion or Myrsol Emulsion. Those do not leave face greasy. Proraso Red splash was one that needed to be binned as that always left too greasy feel, although scent was superb.

Creams marketed for sensitive skin tend to have fewer ingredients, so you can try Proraso White or La Toja sensitive. Or anything that offers an unscented option and doesn't say moisturizing or hydrating. Palmolive is fairly cheap and good. Then there are Indian creams like Vi-John or Dettol or Godrej.

Proraso Wood&Spice

This was totally different to Green. 2cm gave me enough lather for plenty of passes and I think that less than a half (<1cm) would be ideal. Lather was much more dense and creamier and whipped in no time, about 2 minutes. I think it was a bit more thirsty and my lather was slightly lacking water during shave. Shave had very good cushion and protection and slickness was quite good but maybe could have been better with more water. Scent was a bit too strong for my taste but nice. Might help with less product. Ok shave, no irritation. Not bad neither outstanding. Performance was on the better side of the spectrum anyway.

No idea which I prefer more, Green or this. Scent was really quite strong and distracted shave a bit and made it less enjoyable. But performance was better than Green. Still, I might lean towards Green. And the most important thing for my oily skin, Green was better in that aspect. Spice&Wood left a bit of residue on my skin. Still, Speick leads.

Last edited:
La Toja Classic.

Perfection. Used just 1cm line and lathered in 2 minutes to slick and shining lather. Shave was a real pleasure, slick and cushioned. Also scent was ok. Well, not as good as stick but nice anyway. Surprisingly different experience versus stick. Post shave, pure, clean, no irritation. Top stuff.

La Toja Classic > Speick > Proraso Green > Proraso Spice&Wood

Will stock up on La Toja and Speick. Both gave excellent results. Both Proraso were nice and I will use them but maybe not buy more when gone. If I ever see that day with this much rotation I have.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Of those you tried I like La Toja and Speick. The LEA Classic and D'Aramis are good too.

Top Bottom