What's new

Cream Drying Out On Face?

Gents,

In experimenting with my consistency of water, and the temp of the cream I notice an interesting and confusing trend.

I am getting little "snow flakes" of dried out cream coming off my face before I get a chance to make a pass, and when the razor is going over these areas, the cream almost peels off the face at times when it has dried out.

So my theory is threefold:

1. The cream does not have enough water, it's too concentrated and it dries it too fast in my skin.

2. The cream is too wet, and the concentration is too diluted; and it's just not effectively coating the skin.

3. By placing my bowl to float in the basin of hot water, he cream is too warm and the water is evaporating too fast.

Any ideas on this issue?

The cream is TOBS Sandalwood. I am getting a great initial lather, and this only happens every couple of shaves.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
TOBS gets good reviews here, even though I never tried it myself. Are you using a hot water Skuttel by chance.?? If so, they will dry out the lather.

TOBS gets good reviews here, even though I never tried it myself. Are you using a hot water Skuttel by chance.?? If so, they will dry out the lather.

I am not. I'm using a Captains Choice bowl, and I have it floating in the basin of hot water I use to rinse the blade.

The bowl floating in real hot water will also dry out the lather IMO. Try using the bowl in tepid water & see how it does.

I vote #1 also.

I never had soap or cream dried out on me, but it does sound like its a lack of water issue, Usually I soak my brush for about 1 minute, dab in soap or cream, add drops water to bowel and lather away.

Have you tried a different brush?

I vote #1 also.

I never had soap or cream dried out on me, but it does sound like its a lack of water issue, Usually I soak my brush for about 1 minute, dab in soap or cream, add drops water to bowel and lather away.

Have you tried a different brush?

Thanks for the reply. I have a Simpson brush that just came in, but I'm waiting for the stand to arrive to place it in service. Currently I'm using. Parker Pure Badger brush (which has been great for the price).

Thanks to all that replied so fast and helped me out. So the verdict was that the cream was not hydrated enough. I went overboard for my water (relative to what I had been using when I was getting the flakes), and was just on the creamy side of getting bubbles in the bowl. It lathered a bit thinner, but over time it was wonderful in consistency on the face.

Thanks for helping a newb, fellers!

Grats, once you figure out how the cream/soap works with your brush, its a clean shave from there. A stand for your brush while good for the longetivity for your brush, I have had 2 brushes without stand and it is still going strong for about 4 years, my brushes lasted me from the cartridge days to the DE. I have seen some for really low cost so its a good investment.

Glad you posted this. I had this exact problem this morning with the same cream. Haven't had this happen yet, but I was also using my scuttle for the 1st time, so I figured it was drying out. I guess more water is the key when using a scuttle or when floating a bowl in another.

Glad you posted this. I had this exact problem this morning with the same cream. Haven't had this happen yet, but I was also using my scuttle for the 1st time, so I figured it was drying out. I guess more water is the key when using a scuttle or when floating a bowl in another.

Awesome! Err...awesome that this thread helped.

I made the lather too wet this morning...this is definitely more an art than a science.

Top Bottom