What's new

Crappy way to start the day

So I jumped in the car with the family this morning to go to church and the contents of my center console and glove box were strewn all over the car. They took some minor things (and left a couple of valuable things that I guess that didn’t know what it was).

Anyway happy fathers’ day. Lol.

Yeah. Thanks. My wife left the car door unlocked. Not sure if that opened us up to burglary or just saved us a broken window. It’s just stuff. But it makes you feel crappy.
I had the same fatalist attitude when I drove a convertible. I always left the top down. Losing the stereo would have sucked but losing the stereo and having a slashed top would have been far worse. Sorry this happened to you.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
So I jumped in the car with the family this morning to go to church and the contents of my center console and glove box were strewn all over the car. They took some minor things (and left a couple of valuable things that I guess that didn’t know what it was).

Look on the brighter side, that's what I do. Your stuff probably went to someone who needed it more than you.

Just reading this story. Very sorry to hear that your car was vandalized like that and that items were taken from you. There's no excuse for stealing in my opinion no matter what their backstory was.

I'm hoping for a better week for you this week and that something very good will happen for you.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Yeah. Thanks. My wife left the car door unlocked. Not sure if that opened us up to burglary or just saved us a broken window. It’s just stuff. But it makes you feel crappy.
Just saved you a broken window if an amateur thief. Were they pros, they’d be in under 3 seconds without busting the window and your car would be gone. I never lock, and never leave anything in the car that I don’t want stolen.

Be thankful they didn't go underneath and cut off your catalytic converter. That seems to be a target these days.

I had my '66 LeMans stolen twice out of a county employee parking lot in the early 1970s. GM keys were a joke back then. My Pontiac key started a friend's Chevy, and his Chevy key started another friend's GM car, etc. Luckily back then it was just joyridders stealing cars. After the first time it got stolen, I would pull the coil wire and take it into work with me. One day I was running late, didn't bother, and it got stolen again. It really sucks to leave work and find your car gone. After the 2nd time, my cousin and I rigged a kill switch. I ran it under the carpet and into a backseat arm rest that I hallowed out. Thieves tried a 3rd time, and when the key didn't work, they tried to hot wire it, leaving the ignition wires hanging underneath the dash. After that I just left the doors unlocked and ignition wires hanging. After months of having to hot wire our own car, my wife had enough and we bought a new Toyota Corona. It wasn't as much fun to drive as that 4 speed LeMans, but at least no one wanted to steal the Toyota.

Sorry to hear that. Had the same thing happen. At least they only took stuff, and more importantly, you were not the one stealing.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Just saved you a broken window if an amateur thief. Were they pros, they’d be in under 3 seconds without busting the window and your car would be gone. I never lock, and never leave anything in the car that I don’t want stolen.
We are so fortunate in Australia to have such a caring government. They have made it illegal to be more than 3m (10') away from your vehicle if it is unlocked, even on private property.

I ran it under the carpet and into a backseat arm rest that I hallowed out. Thieves tried a 3rd time, and when the key didn't work, they tried to hot wire it, leaving the ignition wires hanging underneath the dash. After that I just left the doors unlocked and ignition wires hanging. After months of having to hot wire our own car, my wife had enough and we bought a new Toyota Corona. It wasn't as much fun to drive as that 4 speed LeMans, but at least no one wanted to steal the Toyota.

My first car back in the 90s was a Saturn that we installed a ghetto-kill-switch in, you had to touch a magnet to 2 specific locations in a specific pattern or the car wouldn't start.

The first downside was that valet's hated it. The second was that the plastic on the dash got all worn and dirty in those exact spots after the first couple months.

We are so fortunate in Australia to have such a caring government. They have made it illegal to be more than 3m (10') away from your vehicle if it is unlocked, even on private property.
They probably wouldn't like it if you electrified your door handles on your vehicle. I remember seeing a video of an electrician that had his van broken into several times and decided to do something about it.

Top Bottom