What's new

Craftsman rotary vs. Dremel

Hey guys... due to my limited space and no possibility for a workshop, I am looking at buying a rotary tool for some of my restoration needs.

I'm looking at a Craftsman, due to quality of construction vs. a Dremel. My local Sears has a good selection of accessories, and I'm told they take Dremel bits as well.

Does anyone have experience with the Craftsman? Can you recommend this vs. a Dremel? Does it run as loud as a Dremel? Does it maintain a decent speed with a load? Anything you can tell me helps.

Thanks!

I just bought a Dremel 8000-03 for cheap ---

Main thing with these is to make sure its a Variable speed one so you can adjust the speed and not destroy what your working on.... this goes from 5,000 to 35,000 rpms - Just ordered it last night so haven't used it yet.

proxy.php

Get a Proxxon. Seriously. Dremels are pieces of crap IME (I've had 2 burn out on me). Since getting the Proxxon I would not look back. Also the Proxxon drill Press stand is significantly better than the dremel one. Solid steel versus plastic and the cost for the Proxxon stuff is not that much more than a dremel.

Edit: The dremels I owned are the same as the one shown in the post above mine. Food for thought.

Yeah, I have heard nothing but good things and reviews about the Proxxon... big problem for me is easy access to new bits and accessories, since I would only be able to mail order those, as no one carries the Proxxons anywhere around here.

That is why I was looking at the Craftsman. It's a variable speed... comparable to the Dremel 4000. I'm hoping someone can comment on the Craftsman.

(I wouldn't get a cordless... that's just my preference though).

Last edited:
You can use the Dremel or Craftsmen bits and accessories in the Proxxon rotary tool. it comes with a selection of collets for holding bits of various shank sizes.

I've had a dremel for about 8 years now, never had a problem with it. The trick (as I think with most rotary tools) is to use a light touch and let the speed of the blade do the work. It doesn't have much torque, so if you press too hard to try to speed things up, it will eventually burn out.

(I do agree that the dremel drill press is hot garbage though.)

You can use the Dremel or Craftsmen bits and accessories in the Proxxon rotary tool. it comes with a selection of collets for holding bits of various shank sizes.

Yep. Dremel bits fit fine in proxxon. I mail order everything anyway (amazon is your friend :thumbup1:) and it doesn't really bug me. I can get most of the bit kits and such for 40% less or so from amazon anyway, so it's worth the wait to me.

My mailman loves me BTW :001_rolle

Legion

Staff member
I have the big variable speed Dremel which just plugs into the wall. It is quite a few years old and has probably done over a hundred hours of use. Never missed a beat. My father has a couple that are older than I am.

It is quite a few years old and has probably done over a hundred hours of use. Never missed a beat. My father has a couple that are older than I am.

Yeah... I think the main complaint about Dremel is that they have gone down in quality recently. That's what I keep reading anyway.

Everything I have read about Proxxon says they are well-built and run really quiet. I don't think I want to mail order a power tool, though.

The Craftsman I don't know much about... hoping someone has some experience with them.

I believe the precision model (it was cheaper of the 2 and from what I read basically the same thing).

Ok, yeah... the precision is the cheaper one. I'm seriously looking at the Proxxon now because I am reading some bad reviews of the Craftsman a couple places.

The precision model Proxxon would be about the same cost as a Dremel 4000.

Drybonz - I happen to notice Amazon has an upcoming (5:00 EST) Gold Box special for a "perfect" ) rotary tool. Doesn't hurt to look!

Drybonz - I happen to notice Amazon has an upcoming (5:00 EST) Gold Box special for a "perfect" ) rotary tool. Doesn't hurt to look!

Cool... thanks I will take a look at that.

*edit* The Dremel 4000's are on sale at Lowe's this weekend... I may cave and get one of those.

Top Bottom