What's new

Cracks in the paint

I have a Semogue 1305 and I noticed recently there are cracks in green paint. Should I be concerned about this?

Mine started that too in the paint below the knot. I'm not going to worry about it.It wasn't ththat expensive to begin with but what I would be more concerned with is losing all the break in time and work. If the paint wears off and the brush looks a little aged and develops a little character that's fine as it doesn't fall apart.
I do not submerg the brush handle the when soaking during shower either.

If the paint wears off and the brush looks a little aged and develops a little character that's fine as it doesn't fall apart.

That's been my thinking so far. My concern is, is the paint decorative or protective? If protective, then is the handle compromised?

That's been my thinking so far. My concern is, is the paint decorative or protective? If protective, then is the handle compromised?
Hmm... Good question. I don't know what the lifespan is supposed to be for these. I hope that after a year, just when the knot gets supremely broken in that it doesn't disintegrate!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
These are cheap brushes, made from wood and just painted, as soon as water gets under the metal ring, the destruction work will begin. My recommendation is just to soak the bristles only, and not the metal ring or handle in water. This will prolong the life of the brush.

Mine has a small chip in the paint too.

For this price point, I overlook it as I can make lather virtually explode from it. Soaps, creams.....it matters not what I use.

Mine is well broken in and is not a shedder so far. Tips are split nicely now and it is soft as a cloud. I like it so much I recently ordered a Semogue badger to give that a whirl.

Well I see this appears to be an issue with these painted brushes after reading the other threads. Is it an issue also with the SOC's?

I bought the 1305 after seeing all the raving revues on B&B. I wanted to see what all the rave about boar brushes was and this brush repeatedly was recommended. I've used it maybe 20 times and it's getting broken in pretty nicely. I enjoy the backbone for face lathering and the tips are softening up nicely. Still working on getting three passes consistently with all my soaps.

I guess my take on all this is pretty much this:

1 - It wasn't expensive - I'm a firm believer in "You get what you pay for". Am I rich? Hell no. But it is what it is.
2 - I don't want to have to worry about knocking the brush against a soap tin or mug every now and then or getting the brush wet for heaven's sake when soaking or rinsing. I soak all my brushes in a coffee mug about a third of the way up. But when I rinse a brush I'm not going to be careful.
3- I've got other things of more importance in life to worry about. Unfortunate but yes lol... If the money I paid for the brush lets me experiment, explore and get to know whether a boar brush is something I enjoy then I guess it's worth it. It's a bummer that I'd have to break one in again but so be it. I probably wouldn't buy or recommend a 1305 again. I'll spend a little more and get one from Rudy or someplace I can get a little more longevity out of it.

I have a Semogue 1305 and I noticed recently there are cracks in green paint. Should I be concerned about this?

As concerned as you should be over a $13 brush. I have a 1305 and must say it is a great brush but easily replaced if necessary. If you're concerned about water intrusion through the paint cracks, apply some clear nail polish. That'll solve the issue.

I never had any issues with the paint on my Semogue brushes but I never dropped any and when soaking I put them in a mug with only the bristles in the water (keeping the wood handle high and dry).

Well I see this appears to be an issue with these painted brushes after reading the other threads. Is it an issue also with the SOC's?

The short answer is NO. This issue only happens with painted handles.

Some people said that not this is not an important issue considering that is a cheap brush, but there are other models (not painted or acrylic) and brands (like Omega) equally cheap or even cheaper without these problems. And Semogue should take care of this as its reputation is going down very quickly through the forums because of this.

Cheers!

The short answer is NO. This issue only happens with painted handles.

Some people said that not this is not an important issue considering that is a cheap brush, but there are other models (not painted or acrylic) and brands (like Omega) equally cheap or even cheaper without these problems. And Semogue should take care of this as its reputation is going down very quickly through the forums because of this.

Cheers!

Good to know about the non painted IE: SOC brushes.

Yeah.. I don't know what the answer is for the painted ones. Are they a relatively new company that is going through a learning process or growing pains as far as perfecting the protection of their painted brushes? I thought that was kind of cool and what made them somewhat unique from others. If what they are striving for is a colored brush and not necessarily a painted brush maybe there may be other avenues for them to explore. I'm not at all crafty when it comes to those things so I leave that to others :)

While this can happen to any wood handled brush, Semogue's are notorious for this. I have a Semogue 2000 that this happened to. I eventually sanded all the paint off it and refinished it. Some sandpaper, a little elbow grease, and some stain and Tru-Oil finish worked wonders.

$100_0246.jpg

Thanks everyone! Yes, I agree it is an inexpensive brush and I'm not terribly unhappy about it. Just wanted to know what's going to happen to the brush. I like UncleScott's solution. I might have to do something like that.

Unless wood is thoroughly sealed with a waterproof sealer, this will eventually happen.
Now, if Semogue used a waterproof sealer the brushes would last longer, but perhaps you would not buy a replacement as often.

Top Bottom