What's new

Cracked Blade. No fun

Friend of mine showed me one of his razors (Ralf Aust 5/8) that somehow grew a crack in the toe. He has no idea how it got there. May have banged it on something; he really does not know.
Question is, as it's a $100 razor he would just as soon buy another rather than get this one repaired, even presuming it could be done at modest expense. But...can it be honed and used as is?? He is not a persnickety guy. If it's functional-he's happy. Advice????

IMG_5962.JPG

Here is a picture...

Friend of mine showed me one of his razors (Ralf Aust 5/8) that somehow grew a crack in the toe. He has no idea how it got there. May have banged it on something; he really does not know.
Question is, as it's a $100 razor he would just as soon buy another rather than get this one repaired, even presuming it could be done at modest expense. But...can it be honed and used as is?? He is not a persnickety guy. If it's functional-he's happy. Advice????

Pretty sure you have my info....lol
I can help him out. Tell him to email me

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Most cracks like that can be repaired by simply grinding it away. Some are a result of the quenching process and will simply keep going further into the razor, but this is rare and I have only encountered this once that I can remember.

A Dremel with a sanding drum, or a dragster type belt sander, either one, will do the job. It is very important not to overheat the blade though, and it only takes a few seconds to do so. When you see the Blue Stain Of Death, the razor is toast. It happens quite suddenly. So you grind a few seconds, stop. Cool. Repeat as necessary.

Top Bottom