What's new

Cracked alder wood bowl?

Hey all! I had wanted to get a puck of Saponificio Varesino and a nice alder wood bowl for it to go in. I thought I read somewhere that it's OK to store the puck in the bowl, and so I did. I had only used it a couple of times, when the bowl cracked along the grain. I was just curious if anyone else had this experience, or if I was just being lazy by not taking the puck out and drying the bowl. :) Not a huge deal, the vendor was very nice and refunded me. I was just curious.

2021-05-06 08.56.35.jpg2021-05-06 11.07.07.jpg

I have an old wooden shaving bowl, from some long-gone puck that came in an unfinished wood bowl. (Not alder.)I have replaced the puck as needed. The bowl is now cracked, warped, and bleached, very wabi-sabi. I like it fine this way.

It's not specifically a problem with wood (though I suspect the cut and grain may make a difference). This bowl (and I have several identical) is well over a decade old, refilled multiple times, heated in a microwave and stored like all my other soaps, often with a damp puck. The only treatment it ever gets is an occasional rub with mineral oil:

20210808_121623.jpg

I've had two of the SV Alder wood bowls for several years now with the puck left in them. Neither has cracked but I do leave the soap in the plastic sleeve inside the bowls. Maybe yours had a stress crack that you didn't notice before this happened.

I've had two of the SV Alder wood bowls for several years now with the puck left in them. Neither has cracked but I do leave the soap in the plastic sleeve inside the bowls. Maybe yours had a stress crack that you didn't notice before this happened.

Ah, it's very possible that there was already a stress crack in there. And thanks for the replies everyone. I was nervous about getting another but I love the look of this SV bowl.

I have the same bowl. Mine has not cracked yet.

SV recommends using the plastic sleeve and not directly inserting the puck into the bowl. I find it very annoying to load from a puck that moves around, so I don’t use the plastic sleeve anymore

“Shaving bowl restyling of our previous Alder wood shaving bowl, specifically designed to fit our PET refill. The wood lid is fire-branded with the SV logo. This bowl has been water-proof painted, but we suggest to wipe the water off and put it in a dry place, in order to maintain it over time.”

Hey all! I had wanted to get a puck of Saponificio Varesino and a nice alder wood bowl for it to go in. I thought I read somewhere that it's OK to store the puck in the bowl, and so I did. I had only used it a couple of times, when the bowl cracked along the grain. I was just curious if anyone else had this experience, or if I was just being lazy by not taking the puck out and drying the bowl. :) Not a huge deal, the vendor was very nice and refunded me. I was just curious.

View attachment 1308499View attachment 1308500
Would a quality waterproof wood glue help repair this?

Would a quality waterproof wood glue help repair this?
Yes, something like Titebond III. See if you can clamp it to where the edges of the crack mate and leave it overnight. A band clamp would probably do it. You can improvise one from nylon webbing tied like a tourniquet.

I think the problem is the wood swelling unevenly with moisture. The wood was probably very dry and then water got introduced in the center portion, causing it to swell. Are you sure the inner surface is sealed with something waterproof? The traditional finish for these kind of pieces is a mixture of beeswax with mineral oil. The finish needs to be renewed every year or so.

Are you sure the inner surface is sealed with something waterproof?

That's a great question. I honestly don't know. I had only used it once or twice before I noticed the crack. I kind of shake it out and let it dry without the lid after use, but I do keep the puck in the bowl which I understand might not be the best thing for a wooden bowl. I was just kind of under the impression that this particular Alder wood bowl was made exactly for this.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's suggestions!

...I was just kind of under the impression that this particular Alder wood bowl was made exactly for this...

SV soap pucks come with a clear plastic liner. I think the idea is to make it easier to swap soaps in the bowl, but maybe it's also a moisture barrier. Not totally sure what they had in mind.

Top Bottom