What's new

Crack on Les Latneuses hybrid stone

Gentlemen,

I would like to ask for an advice from those who are experienced with Coticules. I have purchased a Les Lat hybrid finisher and when I received the stone, I immediately saw this crack that was on the side of the stone and continues down the hybrid face of the stone. I have already wrote to the seller to discuss replacement.

I can feel the crack with my fingernail even on the hybrid face - I am guessing that this will interfere with the honing. I guess the best thing is to just have the stone replaced?

Have you guys had the same/similar experience when buying Coticules?

Any input/advice are welcome!
Chris

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    329.7 KB · Views: 85
If the seller have agreed to take back the stone i would do that. If the other side of the stone is good, a discount on the stone might also be an option. These stone are really hard, so you would need to use it allot to get down to the crack.
These stone are really hard and brittle, so the crack might become a liability when you lap the stone.
If in fact there is a clean side there might be something you could do to stabilize the crack to avoid issues later.
I would not pay full price for the stone at least. Better to get a refund i think.
For me part of the fascination with these stones is that you can have two usable sides.

This is somewhat normal for hybrid layer. This looks like a natural inclusion that opens a little on the side. There is the possibility that lapping the stone will make the inclusion undetectable on the surface during honing. With how hard hybrid is, I wouldn't be as concerned about structural integrity. Hybrids are very dense and a bit more stable than yellow coticule, so lines like this may be easier to overcome with hybrid.

Either way, it is a good idea to work with the seller to come to a resolution that works for you.

Last edited:
Guys, thank you very much. An update with the situation. They have sent the wrong set of stones and the seller will send the LesLat that I have chosen with no crack/inclusion for free.

Also, the seller offered to take back the cracked stone for free or I can keep it at 50% discount. I am not sure if I should keep it though.

@iamryan25 : I am just not sure how deep is the crack. What can I do about the crack? Should I seal it with super glue?

If the seller have agreed to take back the stone i would do that. If the other side of the stone is good, a discount on the stone might also be an option. These stone are really hard, so you would need to use it allot to get down to the crack.
These stone are really hard and brittle, so the crack might become a liability when you lap the stone.
If in fact there is a clean side there might be something you could do to stabilize the crack to avoid issues later.
I would not pay full price for the stone at least. Better to get a refund i think.
For me part of the fascination with these stones is that you can have two usable sides.
What do you suggest to stabilise the crack?

Super glue should work. If the crack is too wide, rub some baking soda into the crack to fill the void and apply more super glue as a binder. Let it dry several days, then lap the stone.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
If you decide to keep it, I would fill the crack with a super thin CA glue. This is the brand that I use and can easily be found online. I’d tape the hybrid side with blue tape to keep the glue from running out and stand the stone up on its edge with the crack on the edge facing up and start dripping in CA slowly until it stops taking it in. After that let it dry for a couple of hours and then lap and you should be good to go. I’ve done this on dozens and dozens of stones and have never had a problem with them afterwards.
8B607AA4-8FD5-4D63-BCC1-6626EE8041B6.jpeg

What do you suggest to stabilise the crack?
Super thin CA glue as David has suggested above. Super glue sold in stores is rebranded super thin CA glue. It might be just fine without glue, but there is no downside to sealing the inclusion.

That is unfortunate about the mix up from the one you originally picked. If you decide to keep it then it looks like it'll be fortunate for your wallet. Glad to see the seller is working out a resolution with you.

This could be a great deal for ya if it's not an issue for your wallet. I'd keep it and fix it. The seller would be out extra shipping twice because of his mistake plus he wont get top dollar for the cracked stone so keeping it helps out him and you.

Not all that uncommon perhaps but It's not 'normal', or ok. It's a straight up crack/fissure. Hybrids can split fairly easily from shock, impact, etc. Sometimes they just split on their own from internal stresses.

Can't tell how big that stone is and don't know what it cost, but I wouldn't be happy with it as-is or 'repaired'.
Sure, glue can help, but the 'blip' will always be there. And if the crack you see is only part of a larger fissure, gluing the visible end of the issue 'might' stabilize it, or not. Having stuff like that in the back of my head bothers me so I never want to deal with it if I don't have to. I would go for an exchange or refund. No reason to not get what was paid for.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
My take:

Try it on the un-cracked part. If it’s hands down the best coti that you ever had, keep it and fix it up or cut it down.

Anything less, ask for a refund, no point in repairing an every day coti with a crack in it.

Ask for a refund or discount anyway, all they can do is say no, and you can still keep it if you want.

Thank you Gentlemen!

I have decided to go for replacement stone. As it turns out the stone I have chosen was sent to a buyer in the states... so no point trying to get it back and I am happy for the guy if he is happy with the stone - it is in very good condition with no crack/inclusion/fissure whatsoever, so I am sure he is happy.

I agree with what Jerry said, I would like to help everyone out but I know me and that crack will hunt me down till the day I let it go...

stone is 100x40 - small size, I wanted a small finisher that I could use at home and for traveling as well.

I will keep you guys posted.

Thank you all for your help!

Top Bottom