What's new

Crabtree & Evylen Sweet Almond Oil- Revisiting An Old Acquaintance

Good evening gents. As one of the older hands around here I have ran the gamut of lathering products. Staring off as a newbie nearly a decade ago I went through the usual suspects of English creams. Trumper Violet, serveral TOOBS, several T&H scents, and a few others. After a few trials with hard soaps I knew I was done for the most part with creams. Here is how it went. All the scents were great. Yet after awhile they became cloyingly sweet and a bit off putting. Particularly the Trumper violet. And the dyes. Good lord. The violet would run purple rivers out of your brush. And all of them had very common traits. Superb glide but the shaves were not as close as the soaps and if you went over the beard enough you would get a mild case of razor rash. So you learned to ease up and depend on the great soaps for tougher beards. Slowly but surely my cream stocks disappeared altogether and other than Castle Forbes lavender, I do not buy creams. Only occasionally will I indulge in one and that is usually for scent niche.

Yet one brand sat ignored in my cupboard for over five years since its last use. C&E sweet almond oil. I have two iterations of it. One in the typical Creighton plastic jar and two(now one since a recent trade) in these beautiful honking glass jars that are quite classy. From what I can tell, product is the same. And what a product it is(was). I broke out my old plastic jar and there is about an inch left in the bottom. It has dehydrated a bit and is more like Castle Forbes in consistency. This is a good thing. It has also turned a very light pink-ish colour. The proof was in the pudding or rather, the shave. And a grand one it was.

The discontinuance of this cream is one of the greatest mysteries in wet shaving. And in my opinion, a blunder. This was a signature product of C&E. And to my mind, it works just a bit better than the other English creams. They may all be made by Creighton but there were and are subtle differences between each brand. C&E almond was amongst the very best. Years later, I was still astounded at the lathering quality and the comfort of the shave. It is not quite up to the best soaps but takes a back seat to NONE of the other classic soft creams. Do yourself a favour and cadge a sample from someone who has a bit left. This is wonderful stuff that is not long for the world. There are a few guys out there with some hoarded back but I suspect you will find few who will part with it. Sorry to be long but I had to give Crabtree and Evylen some serious support, and chagrin. Please bring this one back.

Cheers, Todd

Well said Todd! I remember winning this cream as a newbie on the board. It is what turned me from a soap snob into a lover of all things wetshaving.

I still have that original glass tub and only use the creams for very special shaves. I have been able to buy up a few of the soaps though fortunately.

marty

Hi chaps. Thanks for the nice replies. It really is a mystery why it was discontinued.

Marty, what is your experience with the soap? I tried a cake years ago but it was so poor a performer I relegated it to the shower. Scent was nice though as it was more tame than the cream.

Cheers, Todd

Was it recently discontinued? When I went into my C&E store back in May or so it was still there, don't know if they discontinued it in the past 9 months.

I like this cream, performance and scent are great. The scent is a little unexpected at first, but really grows on you. Bought if off the BST.
Some have mentioned the Arlington almond soap is also almond blossomy, any similarities?

Hi chaps. Thanks for the nice replies. It really is a mystery why it was discontinued.

Marty, what is your experience with the soap? I tried a cake years ago but it was so poor a performer I relegated it to the shower. Scent was nice though as it was more tame than the cream.

Cheers, Todd

Haven't used it as of yet since I still have plenty of the cream on hand. In fact, had a sublime shave w/ SAO this evening.

marty

I have a tube I have been hoarding for several years-truly one of the finest creams-up with the three "T" creams. My daily cream is C&E Sandalwood.

Todd: I've never considered soaps-always creams but after reading your review here I may head out and shop for some soaps to try.

Sweet Almond Oil cream was the best shave cream on the market and the flagship of the mens line. Its lost is what turned me into the hoarder I am to day.

Exactly my experience. Along w/ several pucks, I have also been able to acquire 2 tubes of the SAO and 1 tube of the Sandalwood. My glass jar isn't empty as of yet though...

marty

i liked the c&e myrrh puck and sandalwood..moreso myrrh...im trying to put a dent in it at the moment ..so far 1 month of 3 passes and barely made a scratch on it...havnt tried any creams from them yet...mmmm will have to maybe around mid year just get a sample from the store

I wish I had gotten to try this cream before C&E lost their minds. Fortunately, I was able to pick up a pick of the soap a few years ago, and it is patiently waiting its turn in the soap box.

This thread reminds me that I have a huge supply of C&E soaps and creams that needs to be used and enjoyed.

Never tried the C&E Sweet Almond, but I sure do love their Moroccan Myrrh:001_tt1: In fact, so much so, that I ordered a spare tub...and the ASB and Cologne. Stuff is great. Hope they don't kill that one.:2guns:

Mikey

Top Bottom