What's new

Crabtree & Evelyn Best Badger replacement?

Hi guys! Haven't been here in ages, good to see the place still going strong.

I have an old Crabtree & Evelyn Best Badger Brush (formerly recommended here, C&E BBB for short). Love the brush, but it has seen better days. A large chunk missing from the top rim of the handle, cracking in the handle and the knot is now coming loose (knot itself is still great).

These were made by Edwin Jagger, though I don't think they make quite the same handle profile under their name. Can anyone suggest an appropriate replacement, give me the knot size, etc.? Looking for as close to what I have as I can get if possible. Thanks in advance for any help.

@T Rick Is this the one you have? (Much smaller than it appears in the photos lol)

full

full

If so it was my first badger brush and I might have learned about it here way back when as well. I estimate the knot as 22 mm or thereabouts.

Well, you have a few options. EJ did make the C&E. I bought an EJ back around 2010, when all their brushes were that same persian jar handle as pictured right above. They still do make a nearly identical brush, in four sizes, with handles in ivory, black, or tortoiseshell. TBH you may or may not find better brushes at better prices.

Or, you could measure your knot, finish wrecking the handle so you can extract the knot, and buy a new empty handle in the appropriate size to set your knot into, that is if you don't think the knot isn't worn out yet.

Thanks for the replies guys!

For those of us that don't know that brush, a picture would help.
Fortunately, haggis has posted a pic that is exactly like mine. As to posting pics, can we upload here on the site? Back in the day when I was very active here, a lot of us used Photobucket. I was surprised to see my avatar still up, so maybe we can upload here?

@T Rick Is this the one you have? (Much smaller than it appears in the photos lol)

full

full

If so it was my first badger brush and I might have learned about it here way back when as well. I estimate the knot as 22 mm or thereabouts.
Yep, that is it. Also found out about it here, and got one of the last ones in my area. Really like it.

Well, you have a few options. EJ did make the C&E. I bought an EJ back around 2010, when all their brushes were that same persian jar handle as pictured right above. They still do make a nearly identical brush, in four sizes, with handles in ivory, black, or tortoiseshell. TBH you may or may not find better brushes at better prices.

Or, you could measure your knot, finish wrecking the handle so you can extract the knot, and buy a new empty handle in the appropriate size to set your knot into, that is if you don't think the knot isn't worn out yet.
I'll have to look more at EJ's site. Don't recall seeing one a lot like this. As for an empty handle, where are those available? The knot on mine is still in great shape, really like the whole brush.u

Thanks for the replies guys!

Fortunately, haggis has posted a pic that is exactly like mine. As to posting pics, can we upload here on the site? Back in the day when I was very active here, a lot of us used Photobucket. I was surprised to see my avatar still up, so maybe we can upload here?

Yep, that is it. Also found out about it here, and got one of the last ones in my area. Really like it.

I'll have to look more at EJ's site. Don't recall seeing one a lot like this. As for an empty handle, where are those available? The knot on mine is still in great shape, really like the whole brush.u

whippeddog.com and shaveforge.com have handles. For a premium experience, you can visit the brush making and restoration subforum and ask about having one custom made.

Top Bottom