What's new

CPAP advice

Rather than pirate the other thread I will start a new one. I just spent $377.00 at the Durable Medical Equipment store because my Blue Cross has a $1500.00 deductable. Mask, Headgear, Hose, and Filter. I'm being told that there is a secondary market for this stuff because a lot of folks start and can't get used to wearing the mask. Has anyone purchased eqiupment on EBay or anywhere online? What was your experience?

Bill

I am very new to this too. I was to that the secondary market is not a good idea because you don't know what you are getting. Apparently it is pretty easy to make junk masks and hoses look new. I will keep an eye on this thread though.

It has been a rough first week for me.

I'm not sure I'd buy stuff on eBay. A mask that someone's used for a month or two can still look pretty new and I would not want to buy one of those.

I've used a CPAP for the last 12 years. I would advise staying away from ebay or craigslist. You want your supplies new. There are several online suppliers that have low prices. My experience is that if you are going to use your whole deductible in a year, then get your supplies from the supplier your doc recommends - I have Kaiser and the prices are way low AFTER the deductible is gone. If you aren't going to spend the deductible, the internet has lower prices.

I've been on CPAP/APAP for 5 years. I agree that the prices hurt when you haven't hit your deductible yet. Do you have an HSA or FSA? I've got an FSA, so if I don't spend the money over the course of the year, I lose it. That takes the sting out of the cost. I meet my deductible every year, so I don't worry too much about the cost of my supplies. I put enough into my FSA to cover my deductible plus a little if I know I'll have something coming up (like purchase of a new machine this year).

As for the secondary market, I don't have any experience with it. I've heard that prices from online suppliers can be cheaper and wouldn't hesitate to go that route if it made sense, but I wouldn't want a mask that's been on someone else's face. The only mask that I've worn that wasn't new was during my sleep study, but those are sanitized in an autoclave.

A CPAP has to be setup to the correct pressure setting for YOU. Otherwise it is uselessly just blowing air up your nose.

It's actually illegal to sell CPAPS without a prescription so be careful. I use http://www.thecpapshop.com/
As far as your CPAP settings it's really easy to do. When I was delivering them the programming was always the same. You push two buttons at the same time unplug the machine while still holding the two buttons then plug it back in. The menu will flash then it's just a matter of navigating the menus to get to the pressure setting. RT's will tell you to not do this but whatever with that. I increased mine slightly a few years ago. I didn't feel like going through the damn sleep study again. You can tell when your pressure needs to be increased because you'll start getting sleepy again. There are several websites that will tell you how to set your specific machine. Just Google how to set "your machines name and model". I would highly recommend purchasing an extra mask and tubing. Even if it's a cheep one. Anyone that's had a mask break or leek will tell you it's well worth paying the out of pocket price. You don't need a prescription for supplies. I've never done this but you might want to check out a local medical supply shop for masks. I'd be curious to know if they carry them. Getting back to the pressure setting by default everyone I've delivered is preset to the most common setting. Good luck at let us know how it's going!

Thanks Holmer3, that looks like a good site. They have the mask I just bought on sale for just about half of what I paid locally. I'm guessing that they won't bill my insurance, but with my deductable it doesn't make much difference. Yes, when I first started with CPAP about two years ago, I lurked around some forums and learned how to set my pressure, and more importantly how to kill that startup ramp. I agree, you can tell when the pressure is wrong.

Bill

As others said, it's illegal for us to sell equipment, and I'd be wary of buying used (unless it was a mask or hose still sealed in plastic). I donated my old unit to a charity that gives them to low income patients and took a write off rather than risk the secondhand market.

You're right that the third party shops won't bill insurance but are cheaper so unless you want that $$ going towards your deductible you might as well shop online.

Meanwhile here's a good place to share an anecdote to give you an idea on the pricing racket... I went to Vegas once and packed my machine but not the hose or mask. I figured as I went to be "no big deal it's just a long weekend" but the next morning I was in bad shape. I started calling DMEs to see about a discount, maybe one of their demo units I could rent or buy cheap. There were none and they're all out of network for me, so I was being quoted $150. Then I got a DME (maybe the fourth or fifth) that took pity on my plight and said "If you can get here before 1pm I'll sell you a mask and hose for $60". It wasn't my normal one but was close (still nasal pillows) so you bet I hustled over there!

Meanwhile here's a good place to share an anecdote to give you an idea on the pricing racket... I went to Vegas once and packed my machine but not the hose or mask. I figured as I went to be "no big deal it's just a long weekend" but the next morning I was in bad shape. I started calling DMEs to see about a discount, maybe one of their demo units I could rent or buy cheap. There were none and they're all out of network for me, so I was being quoted $150. Then I got a DME (maybe the fourth or fifth) that took pity on my plight and said "If you can get here before 1pm I'll sell you a mask and hose for $60". It wasn't my normal one but was close (still nasal pillows) so you bet I hustled over there!

My biggest fear when going out of town is forgetting a piece of my machine. In 5 years I've never spent a night without it, so I'm sure I'd be in an absolute panic if I found myself having to.

Top Bottom