What's new

Coworkers

proxy.php

I work with programmers so it is always fun. The young ones decorate their cubicles and the Indians are celebrating Diwali.

When I think of the devious, selfish, incompetent, vicious colleagues I have tolerated over the years I hate myself for not challenging them enough. But it was because I was young. I'm not young anymore.

When I think of the devious, selfish, incompetent, vicious colleagues I have tolerated over the years I hate myself for not challenging them enough. But it was because I was young. I'm not young anymore.

Yeah...but those devious, selfish, incompetent folks so often end up managers, administrators, directors and such.

I work alone. I answer to the Office Manager. The last thing I want in my warehouse are "coworkers". We are three times as busy as we were three years ago, and still ramping up. I figure that, by the time I'm a few years from retirement, it might be time to bring someone in to learn the ropes before I take my leave. Until then . . .

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I guess I’ve been lucky. I’ve always had decent co-workers. Even when I was in a manager role I enjoyed my co-workers and subordinates. I can remember one though that really got under my skin. I was 18 and worked at Jewel (Publix, Kroger) in IL. This guy was the biggest d-bag I’d ever known at the time. Always talking behind your back, always trying to get you in trouble for something, always nose stuck up everyone’s....well you get it. I don’t even remember what he did or said that day but my boss talked to me about something and said that “Dave told me it was you”. Which was a lie. So I found D-Bag Dave in the dairy cooler and laid in to him. Cussing him up and down. My boss later said he heard me yelling at the guy all the way on the sales floor. I think I quit about a month later for unrelated reasons.

Ahh, to be young!

For the most part have worked with people who I respected and enjoyed spending time with. When I was starting my career I was fortunate to have a number of mentors who were generous with their knowledge and patience. As I've transitioned into one of the more experienced people in the office I've come to value and appreciate the enthusiasm of the new & younger employees. Its deeply satisfying when you're part of an organization where everyone has understood clearly articulated goals and work as a team to achieve them.

That said there have been a few pinheads. Some maliciously ignorant with toxic personalities but they can be tolerated since they generally don't last all that long before they're run out on a rail. More difficult to cope with are the ones who I refer to as "Puddys"; painfully unaware they have a terminal case of stupid and lazy.

My problem has been more with supervisors than coworkers. For every decent supervisor I have had, there have been two or more disgustingly horrible, toxic monsters. How people with such glaring personality defects, psychological issues, and total lack of morals manage to get in a position of some power totally baffles me.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
For the most part, mine are decent. I do walk out of the room if politics come up, though.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

My problem has been more with supervisors than coworkers. For every decent supervisor I have had, there have been two or more disgustingly horrible, toxic monsters. How people with such glaring personality defects, psychological issues, and total lack of morals manage to get in a position of some power totally baffles me.

Why are the people you work with "Co-workers" and not "Colleagues"? Colleagues is a much more elegant word, whereas I always think co-worker is such an ugly word so it's not one I would ever use.

But to the point of the question, one of the great things about living and working in Singapore is the diversity here: we have 22 staff and roughly half male, half female. We are a UK based reinsurance broker, so we do have a few old white guys (me included), but we have 9 Singaporeans, an Indonesian, a Thai, a Korean, a Filipino and an Indian, with another joining early next year. 2 of the Singaporeans are Malay, the others are Chinese. We are allowed to mention race as we all carry ID Cards which state what we are.

We have Christians, Buddhists, Muslims and Hindus (and probably a few Atheists!).

The age range is mid-20s to 60.

Of all these, one of my staff is totally unmanageable and is leaving at the end of the month. The others cause a few problems from time to time but 99% of the time we are a pretty decent bunch, and the year end party will be a blast.

Top Bottom