What's new

Cowboy Boots as Dress Shoes

I am going to wear my new cowboy boots to work tomorrow as dress shoes (pant leg not tucked of course). Think anyone will notice?

Possibly, but no big deal. I used to always wear cowboy boots instead of dress shoes. I even wore my boots for my wedding. My mother-in-law was horrified, but no one seemed to notice. After the wedding, my MIL asked if I wore them, so she didn't even notice. :biggrin1:

I don’t know how trends are going in the US, but in Japan, boots have become quite fashionable for men, and many people do wear them in the workplace. They usually aren’t long like cowboy boots, but the rest of it looks the same (I have a pair myself). I say give it a go; people might like it.

They are my first pair!! I just got them today, they are Tony Lama in Ostrich...so yeah I guess they are nice!!

For me, shoes have always been more about comfort rather than style. They're not a fashion-statement, but they do make a statement about my values and lifestyle.

I used to wear Kalso Earth Shoes ... they looked funny, they were hard to find, but well worth it. I even had a pair in black oxford style that I wore with my Navy uniform ... I got a lot of comments on them, because they looked so odd, but they did conform to the letter of the regulations.

Now, both my work-boots and dress shoes are RedWings ... expensive, but worth it.

My employer pays $60 towards the purchase of safety shoes, so most go to Walmart and buy a $30 pair of steel-toes and pocket the difference. My co-workers laughed when I told them I spent $165 on my work boots ... but I get the last laugh, because at the end of the day, my feet feel GOOD.

At home, around the house, I wear a pair of mocassins with memory-foam insoles and a sheep-fur lining. $50 mocs that I picked up for $13 when Sharper Image went out of business.

My father had two pair of Murray Space Shoes, custom-made from molds of his feet. His first pair cost almost $300 in 1970. I remember going with him to the store in NY when he got them fitted. They kept the molds on file, and made a second pair years later without the need for him to return in person. He loved them dearly, and when he passed a way, we buried him with those shoes on.

Last edited:
They are my first pair!! I just got them today, they are Tony Lama in Ostrich...so yeah I guess they are nice!!

What color and what color pants are wearing them with? I really like their peanut brittle color as well as the cognac. My next pair are going to be Tony Lamas in cognac.

I've worn dark brown boots with Khakis and darker shades and no one ever noticed. I've also worn them with blue hospital scrubs, which people do notice, which brings up all kinds of questions.

With the exception of high school and sports I've worn boots in some form or another my whole life.

Being a Texan myself, I have a lot of friends who wear boots with slacks. I personally think it's really tacky, and I would never wear do it. However, many people like the look. Don't worry about it though. The people that would judge you harshly for this decision are mental midgets :wink:

What color and what color pants are wearing them with? I really like their peanut brittle color as well as the cognac. My next pair are going to be Tony Lamas in cognac.

I've worn dark brown boots with Khakis and darker shades and no one ever noticed. I've also worn them with blue hospital scrubs, which people do notice, which brings up all kinds of questions.

With the exception of high school and sports I've worn boots in some form or another my whole life.

They are cognac in color, and I too work at a hospital (although as a "suit"). I was going to weart them with my brown suit, khakis, and brown houndstooth...I think they look good, but lord knows what the hospital will say!!

I am going to wear my new cowboy boots to work tomorrow as dress shoes (pant leg not tucked of course). Think anyone will notice?
In terms of region, it may be noticable. Down here, it's not. I only wear cowboy boots to church. Sometimes they are dress boots and sometimes they are not. I wear them with Wrangler Riata dress slacks. I definately think you should wear them!

I don’t know how trends are going in the US, but in Japan, boots have become quite fashionable for men, and many people do wear them in the workplace. They usually aren’t long like cowboy boots, but the rest of it looks the same (I have a pair myself). I say give it a go; people might like it.
We actually have a Japanese boot customer. The gentleman is about 6'2" and weighs about 240. Funny thing tho, he will not wear his boots. He only collects. Whenever Honda has business in Dallas or Houston, he drives in and orders a pair.

DL

In terms of region, it may be noticable. Down here, it's not. I only wear cowboy boots to church. Sometimes they are dress boots and sometimes they are not. I wear them with Wrangler Riata dress slacks. I definately think you should wear them!

We actually have a Japanese boot customer. The gentleman is about 6'2" and weighs about 240. Funny thing tho, he will not wear his boots. He only collects. Whenever Honda has business in Dallas or Houston, he drives in and orders a pair.

DL

Ah, DL...the man I hoped would comment on this thread! How should I care for them??

Sluggo, cognac should be a medium to dark medium brown. I would use a product called Bick 4 as a general conditioner and cleaner. If you get a stain on them that won't come out, use a little WD-40. It will bring the stain to the surface.

Sluggo, be sure to maintain the leather soles and welt. Once a week you should rub the Bick 4 or saddlesoap into the soles and let them dry. They will last much longer by doing this.

Congratulations on your purchase! I bet they look sweet!

DL

Sluggo, cognac should be a medium to dark medium brown. I would use a product called Bick 4 as a general conditioner and cleaner. If you get a stain on them that won't come out, use a little WD-40. It will bring the stain to the surface.

Sluggo, be sure to maintain the leather soles and welt. Once a week you should rub the Bick 4 or saddlesoap into the soles and let them dry. They will last much longer by doing this.

Congratulations on your purchase! I bet they look sweet!

DL

It is funny, I lived in the south my entire life and I moved to WI and got a pair of cowboy boots.

Should / can I use shoe trees when I am not wearing them? Also, does your company / shop have a website??

It is funny, I lived in the south my entire life and I moved to WI and got a pair of cowboy boots.

Should / can I use shoe trees when I am not wearing them? Also, does your company / shop have a website??

Actually we have no website and do no advertising. The maker that is teaching me is somewhat legendary in the hand-made boot community and word of mouth has kept him in a constant 1 year backlog for years. All I did was show interest and happened to be in the right place at the right time.

I suppose you could use trees. Personally, I never have used them and can't really think of anyone that does but i don't see how it could hurt any. I posted pics of some boots that he made for me in the mid 90's that have been half soled three times. Those boots have never had boot trees in them.

Sluggo, I also forgot to mention earlier, if you find Bick 4, it doesn't hurt to squirt some down on the inside of the boots and rub it in to the lining.

DL

OldSaw

The wife's investment

You live in Milwaukee... I would say no. Obviously, you can wear whatever you want. I just always look at people in Wisconsin that wear cowboy boots off the farm as attention seekers. If you are an equestrian buff, then you might be able to pull it off, outside of that, my fashion advice is a resounding NO, don't do it.

Sheesh Dennis, way to rain on my parade!! Just kidding, I am going to give it a whirl...we will see...maybe I can claim my southern roots.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Sheesh Dennis, way to rain on my parade!! Just kidding, I am going to give it a whirl...we will see...maybe I can claim my southern roots.

Sorry, not trying to be mean. If I saw you wearing them at the office I would be polite and might even comment on them if they look nice. However, if you asked me how they looked with your suit, I would probably say something similar in as polite a way that I could. You did ask and I told, if you didn't ask, I would say nothing.

Top Bottom