What's new

COVID Shortages

If it comes to it, maybe I can trade razor blades and shaving soaps for TP. 😜

People are nuts but TP WAS impossible to get in March/April so I do understand (but don’t really do it) panic buying.

We buy TP and paper towels on Amazon or Walmart online and always have a few weeks supply. We do have 5 people in the house so running out would suck. I couldn’t go into a grocery store or Costco and walk out with more than one big package though.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
The price of Witch Hazel has gotten stupid lately if you like it for shaving, especially in Northern Canada. I like Dickinson's brand and Walmart has been a good source and now they want you to buy on line for almost double and pay shipping. You know what Walmart I went to your competitor and paid less for more volume and less $ than what you want and supported a local business. It seems Walmart wants to take on Amazon business model and have us pay for their transition into that way of doing business.
But Witch Hazel has gone up a lot in the last 6 months almost in any store, 40%>. I hate to say this folks but we are seeing inflation in all aspects of living essentials, we are going into strange times and governments are being asked to do a lot to ease the pain so I figure my taxes are going to go up also.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
SWMBO went to wallyworld the other day and said paper items, canned goods, and bottled water looked to be running a little thin.

When the supplies came back up a few months ago we stocked up a bit at a time on paper items...we have plenty in the storage shed to last awhile. We always have a cabinet full of canned goods and a small chest freezer full of meat so we're good for a few months if things go crazy again. Also have plenty of ammo stored.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
My wife went to the small local grocery store with a first class butcher shop this afternoon to get a few pounds of ground round, ground sirloin, and ground pork for a few upcoming dishes. They're limiting sales of ground beef to 2 lbs per customer.

I can go west to the neighboring county and all the shortages go away. They don't participate in the BS. There is less masking and they have a very low Covid numbers because they don't crowd together. There's not that much room in a tree stand for a crowd. we may be living there soon. I'm tired of living in a Covid hotspot

Paper products have disappeared from the Kroger I shop at. Other items go in an out of stock like they have all summer, mostly canned goods, but nothing serious yet. Alcohol (70%) has made a comeback, 91% has been unobtainable since spring. Some cleaning supplies are hard to get, especially disinfecting wipes. Hand sanitizer from brands I've never hear of is all over the place, but they good brands (Purell and Germ-x) are usually out of stock.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
We purchased toilet paper and paper towels online on the Sams app. Supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Here in the UK I could swear that the media intentionally try to encourage panic buying. They report it happening with images of shoppers with trolleys full of huge quantities of toilet paper and other products and create a panic that did not exist. In many cases the images are not recent and taken at shops such as Costco where it is the norm to purchase items in bulk quantities. The smallest package of toilet paper you could buy there might be 48 rolls and they are often purchased by trade customers but that does not fit the narrative. The articles serve as nothing more than click bait to generate advertising revenue and I for one am sick of it. It strikes me as irresponsible so I have ceased to patronise such publications.

I find human behavior so interesting. I was at my local liquor store not long ago and the manager said every day is like just before New Years the way people are buying, although it has settled down a bit. Big Box home improvement? Slammed since everyone is home and they are remodeling. Restaurants having to reconfigure their business model to grab and go in my state. If they don't they are closed, and many of them permanently now. Tents popping up and people eating in a tent - and this at some mighty fine restaurants. Eating in a tent and not a problem. People adjust and are flexible. I also find, in general, that people seem more considerate and accommodating to others. The mindset seems to be collaborative, this is nutty but we are in it together even though we are strangers.

Who would have said last February, "Hey, in an incident of panic buying I'll bet that toilet paper will be the first thing to go." I remember in April everyone I know saying, "Wait. Toilet paper? TOILET paper??"

I find human behavior so interesting. I was at my local liquor store not long ago and the manager said every day is like just before New Years the way people are buying, although it has settled down a bit. Big Box home improvement? Slammed since everyone is home and they are remodeling. Restaurants having to reconfigure their business model to grab and go in my state. If they don't they are closed, and many of them permanently now. Tents popping up and people eating in a tent - and this at some mighty fine restaurants. Eating in a tent and not a problem. People adjust and are flexible. I also find, in general, that people seem more considerate and accommodating to others. The mindset seems to be collaborative, this is nutty but we are in it together even though we are strangers.

Who would have said last February, "Hey, in an incident of panic buying I'll bet that toilet paper will be the first thing to go." I remember in April everyone I know saying, "Wait. Toilet paper? TOILET paper??"

I just ordered some of your bay rum as part of my pandemic stock-up.

Don't let me down, bro.

Top Bottom