What's new

Cousins

Pretty excited about this latest acquisition. My second razor ever was my Broker 1893 Columbian Exposition Razor. It's still my favorite that I own to date. The etching is just so neat to me. I was searching the bay looking for nothing in particular when I came across a Joseph Allen and Son Columbian Exposition Razor. Paid a little more than I wanted, but very excited to have it. Pictures kind of stink, but they work. Needs scales and there is some rather uneven hone ware on it, but in decent shape. I think it may be from the year after the Boker based on the dates, but I haven't looked into it. Guess I'm going to have to search for more now. I think a 7 day Columbian Exposition set would be really neat.
IMG_20191109_202547.jpg
IMG_20191109_202526.jpg
IMG_20191109_202521.jpg
IMG_20191109_202506.jpg

Congratulations. There is certainly something very special about using old tools, especially those that are more than a century old. It is a part of history brought to life, in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I wish I could find some others. The Boker one is the only one that comes up in my searches. I would imagine that there are other brands that made them. Thanks guys.

This post might be of interest:

Congratulations to two really fine razors. I've still got mine.

Very cool. I didn't realize it was magnetic. Yours is very beautiful. Mine could use a cleaning, but the etching is still very nice. I'm not sure if they are the original scales or not, but they are in decent shape. I've seen a bunch of them online that the etching is hardly visible. I'll have to replace the scales on the Joseph Allen one, so I'm debating on whether or not to change the Boker to match. The Boker is a great shaver and the history is very neat. Thanks for sharing!

This is getting interesting. So I didn't realize the Columbian Exposition was specifically in 1893 as an anniversary to Columbus coming to America. So they should be from the same year. Found a listing of manufacturers from the fair, but it is huge. I'll have to look on my desktop to see if I can find other razor manufacturers. There had to be others there, but who knows if they did special razors.

Frederick Williams and Sword and Crown versions. Got some searching to do!

Top Bottom