What's new

Couscous

I like couscous. Our household favors the pearled version of couscous. I'll make it with some chicken boullion, olive oil, and curry powder. It's quite delicious.

I think it's fine, but nowadays I prefer coarse bulgur wheat which is a whole grain and is just about as easy to prepare. Alternatively, I am mixing grains such as quinoa and amaranth with parboiled rice.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Sometimes with garlic & olive oil... sometimes for breakfast I'll use butter instead of olive oil and eat it with marmalade. When I'm ambitious I'll make 'gruel' with buckwheat, oatmeal, & couscous. Maybe some raisins & nuts.

Isn't couscous made with durum semolina, and isn't that the same wheat that Italians use to make pasta?

Sometimes with garlic & olive oil... sometimes for breakfast I'll use butter instead of olive oil and eat it with marmalade. When I'm ambitious I'll make 'gruel' with buckwheat, oatmeal, & couscous. Maybe some raisins & nuts.

Isn't couscous made with durum semolina, and isn't that the same wheat that Italians use to make pasta?

Yes. That is correct. It's a type of pasta.

...Isn't couscous made with durum semolina, and isn't that the same wheat that Italians use to make pasta?
Correct, in that Italian pasta is made with durum wheat. Semolina is made from only the starchy endosperm portion of the wheat, with no germ and no bran. Most Italian pasta is made with semolina, but they do make whole-wheat pasta, too.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I keep couscous simple, plain with a little olive oil drizzled on it. Often to accompany a tagine of slow cooked veggies. They go well together.

Love it- I don't think I've found a way to cook it that isn't good. Pretty much any addition involving olive oil and garlic is good. It is good plain as well. Sometimes we add various other ingredients to it, including but not limited to crushed pepper flakes, garam masala, chicken broth, harissa, oregano, cumin, etc...

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Love it. It always moves at our house. As mentioned, it's hard to get it wrong, as long as you don't turn it to mush. I like it steamed with herbs de Provence, garlic, and too much black pepper, and then dressed a little more with some good olive oil.

Popular item in our household, partially because you can do it all in one bowl so prep & cleanup is easy. I just turned my buddy onto the process of putting the dry couscous in a large glass bowl, pouring the boiling water in with it, and covering with plastic wrap to let it steam in the bowl. Then build you dish in the bowl from there (we do a lot of them with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, chopped cucumber/tomato/parsley, sometimes chicken).

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Italian Wedding Soup is a good place to use couscous. I like the large Israeli couscous for that. Fun stuff for salads too. Like ^^^ maybe some purple onion, chick peas, cumin, turmeric, coriander, red and green bell peppers, frozen corn niblets. . . sliced almonds, raisins. All pretty easy once you figure out the balance of lemon/lime acid, oil, and spice that you like.

Another one pan Mick meal.

Olive oil
Leftover lamb (cubed)
Onion
Garlic
Red bell pepper
Hearts of palm
Chicken stock (volume as required)
Lemon
Lime
Fish sauce
Pepper
Dill weed (at least 2 tbl)
Oh.... and couscous.

Hey, another Owen. It think that makes 3 of us. I thought the other used the name treewhale, but the name isn’t appearing.
Here is a post:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Couscous is bland and pairs well with spicy food. I served it the other night with pan roasted brussel sprouts and garlic. Also good whenever don't have the time for steamed rice. I sometimes have it for breakfast, either alone like oatmeal or as a side dish in place of toast, potatoes or grits.

Here's a one-dish salad

1 cup couscous
1 cup water

3/4 cup chopped radishes
3 tablespoons scallions
3 tablespoons fresh parsley
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup toasted almonds
1/2 cup mint leaves
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Boil the water, add the couscous, cover, and let sit 5 minutes. Chill 30 minutes. Mix in the other ingredients and serve. Obviously there are a lot of variations on this, depending on what you have on hand, carrots, cucumbers, prppers, etc.

Top Bottom