What's new

Course beard dulling safety razor blades after just 1-2 (2-pass) shaves

I've tried Gillette P and Astra SP so far. The Gillette is dull after 2 passes. I can't even do a 3rd against the grain pass wih the Gillettes, because they hang and tug badly and cause a lot of irritation. The Astras are awesome on shave 1 and 2, but by 3 they're scraping and tugging as well.

I typically pre-shave moisturize, then lather up and let it sit for a minute or two before shaving. I'd say I have medium sensitivity skin.

Can you suggest some various blades for a course beard that can last a little longer?

I use the Gillette Heritage head and handle, which works fine when the blades are sharp, but I'm open to suggestions for other razor setups if that will help as well.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
A SE Gem blade or Schick injector blade are stiffer and have 3 facet grind to them but they are pricier and that is for reasonable low cost SE blades. I find the SE AC 50mm blades do have the same longevity as the Gem or Schick injector blades.
It takes a 6 shaves> to dial in a SE Gem razor or Schick injector razor and then you should at least double your shaves to 4 possibly>.
A Nacet blade like mentioned by @Eben Stone might be worth trying, very sharp and reasonably smooth with great longevity for myself when using them.
A Kai SS is sharp and smooth with excellent longevity I have found also but they are pricier than standard Nacet blade.
(3 Facet blade)
GEM blade grind angles.jpg
blade_angle-se-de.gif

Have some great shaves!

i use Nacets or Feathers pretty much exclusively on my coarse grey beard and still only use a blade for 2 3-pass shaves.

try a more efficient razor, as suggested above, it might prolong the blades to 3-4 shaves (or not). My limit is usually 3, sometimes a 4th shave can be done. I occasionally try a 5th shave, but it was never good.
Try a sharper blade, i.e Astra SS, Gillette Silver Blue(GSB) some say it is a sharper platinum, or the other way around, the platinum is a less sharp GSB, the Gillette 7 o'clock family is good (yellows, blacks, followed by the greens, for me). Perma-sharp. German Wilkinson (forget the indian/chinese versions, those are way less sharp). Finally, personna red or blue, medium sharp, but might last longer. Feathers are toast after 3 shaves for mostly anyone, so for you it might be only good for a single shave.

Welcome aboard!

Good advice above. Bottom line is that you really need to try a variety of razors and blades. Some guys here are ‘one and done’ others get 100+ shaves routinely!!

Top Bottom