What's new

Couple Questions on Alum

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
So, gee whiz, I am almost a year in now. I started out with a Styptic pencil for my nicks and weepers. Meh, it worked. A few months ago I read right here on these here forums that one could utilize alum powder, found in your local grocer's spice section, instead of said Styptic pencil. Seems to me it turns out they were right. I found it easier to fluff a dash of powder into my palm and a few drops of water to make a paste and apply it to any injury I had sustained.

So on to the alum stick. I was interested from the beginning in acquiring one but it never coincided with my online purchases, seems wherever I placed an order for a razor, cream, brush or soap they were out of stock on Alum. And it wasn't a huge priority. Finally the stars aligned and Stirling had them. I love the Margaritas in the Arctic, by the way. Finally in my hands I used it for the first time last night. While not earth shattering I did like it very much and will continue to use it in my routine.

All that being said I found a Thai Crystal deodorant stick in my local Natural Grocers today. Seems to be the same damned thing only in a slightly different and more user friendly presentation. And it was only four bucks. So, is it the same damned thing and could I have been using the Thai Crystal all along?

Yes, if you check the ingredients, you should see the active ingredient is potassium alum, aka potassium aluminum sulfate. The stick has a more convenient form factor than the blocks or rocks. Try not to drop it or put it away sopping wet, it can crack or erode away before its useful life is over.

I know you are all gonna laugh at me, but the wholething of sticking small pieces of toilet paper on your nicks is by far the most effective way to stop them from bleeding from my experience (wetshaving for 6 years, since I was 17) I tried it all, stypitic pencil, alum, the proraso gel, but nothing works better than the toilet paper.
after I apply my aftershave I will wait like 30 sec for the nick to bleed out a little bit, put a piece of toilet paper over it, wait 2-3 minutes, carefully take it off, and the nick is sealed and you can't even tell it's there.

For me, the alumni bar is more about soothing abrasions and judging a shave. I use a str8 a lot. The bar will tell me if I got a little to rough anywhere.

I splash witch hazel on after which has healing characteristics. It also controls facial oils which I still have on my nose at my age.

Then I apply balm to restore oils and finally AS for the feel and smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom