What's new

Couple questions for y'all

The hot towel is an old barbershop pampering tradition. The idea is to soften the whiskers as they soak up water, while the barber does something else. Too hot water is not good for the skin and can lead to dryness, though. You can accomplish much the same thing by just lathering up and leaving the lather on the face for a few minutes, then rinsing off and lathering up again the shave.

Menthol cooling is just a sensation from the nerves in the skin. It should not affect the shave result.

Alcohol is a good cleaner, solvent and disinfectant. The idea is to prevent infection and some aftershaves also add humectant ingredients and fragrance. Most soap has a higher pH than skin, rinsing with water and applying some post-shave treatment is supposed to restore normal skin pH. Some aftershaves have lactic acid or similar ingredients which can provide some skin toning effects.

I don't shower before I shave or use a hot towel. After spashing water on and rubbing it in to get water all around the whiskers, I start loading the brush. With the first little bit off soap I paint it on and add a little water. That's my pre-shave.
By the time I get the brush fully loaded and face lather I'm good to go.

I do use a pre-shave cream (Proraso), when pressed for time, or traveling where my chances at more than a gallon of water or hot water are limited.

YMMV of course.

What have they been up to in Rivendell since they perfected Arko?

1. So a warm water/towel treatment on one's face during the pre-shave process softens skin, opens pores, and probably something else I'm forgetting. How does the chilling effect of mentholated products work with that? For, against, or neutral?

2. What's the purpose of alcohol in some aftershave products? Alcohol tends to dry things out, right? I prefer a nice, moist smoothness to my skin once the aftershave treatment kicks in. I'm wondering about this since I'm looking at a few splashes, been working with Stirling and Nivea balms since I started shaving.
That and I'm considering cooking up a batch of menthol additives myself once my bottle of Stirling's Frost Drops runs out. There was a mention around here of mixing crushed menthol crystals and vodka/grain alcohol.
Thanks
Hi and welcome @lordalexander74.

Pre-shave prep is meant to remove dirt and oil from your face. Dirt particles actual cause damage to the blade edge. You also want to remove your natural skin oil. This skin oil isn't the same as any other oil that one might apply pre shave. It will get in the way of achieving a close shave. This is what most preshave products are a soap in and of themselves.

Warm water on your face is solely for softening the hair. It does this by absorbing water into the cuticles. It also happens to feel nice.

Menthol is just an effect. You use it or don't based on personal preference.

When it comes to aftershaves, generally speaking there are two camps. Those that prefer the antiseptic qualities and the sting and tightening the alcohol provides post shave. Then there are those that simply want the feeling of a soothing lotion that has whatever skin healing/protecting qualities it may have (based on what's in whatever brand they're using).

On a technical level alcohol does have a drying effect but most aftershaves that contain alcohol don't give this feeling. 8n fact most provide a powdery feeling. It's a little hard to describe but it's a quality I believe most men that like alcohol aftershaves look for. I mean it's a quality that I look for in a lot of the ones I use. Typically any considered as "classic" or "traditional" will have this powdery quality. Most newer/modern ones will just be scented.

I myself prefer an alcohol aftershave, if I had to choose one. But! I'm a free man, so I use both. I use the alcohol one first, let it fully dry, then rub on some balm. Best of both worlds. 😉

I hope this all helps you.

I do like your idea of making your own frost drops. I'm so for people doing things on their own, being inventive, exploring and gaining firsthand knowledge.

By all means, create a post about your adventure making them. I know I'd love to read about what you did and how it turned out. I'm sure others would too.

Top Bottom