What's new

Couple of new-old Gillette - looking for opinion from people who know more than me.

Hi everyone.

Long time lurker here who is working closely with straight razors rather than safety razors. I was always keen to fiddle around Safety Razor forums as some of the razors (same as cutthroats) are real and pure art. It's just nice to see photos and read things people have to say about origins and development of them over years.

Normally (as a hobby) I am working on restoring old straight razors (and shaving with them) to utter annoyance of my partner. Most of the storage space around the house is packed with "this stuff".

Recently I have obtained a rather dusty box of barber equipment - I have bought it because for straight razors included in the package. There were some safety razors though I have no idea about. Couple of Gillette ones of which photographs I will post here and some single edge razors (3x rolls - one brand new and 2x valet) which I'll post in the single edge thread.

This is basically my first encounter with safety razors and I have tried to read about different types around here and did a bit of research but more I read more confusing it gets. If anyone could at least guide me towards what I should be reading about it will already be muchly appreciated help.

There are two Gillette razors - both are open comb style.

1) Open comb with patent number stamped on the handle (not on barrell) and serial(?) stamped on the top under the lid that keeps the razor in place - serial I think is I017995 and there's no Gillette logo anywhere on it.
Barrell removable.

2) Came in dark green bakelite box with two removable compartments for razors keeping.
There's patent stamped on the handle and it says: BRIT PATENT NOS 3529756-363892.
Barrell is fixed and there's no serial number anywhere on it. 'made in England' and Gillette trade mark stamped at the bottom of where the razor is fixed.

I would love to know where I could read more about these particular shavers.

Again big hello to everyone and apologies to be rummaging into here with such long post as my first.

Attachments

• IMG20211230212124.jpg
    IMG20211230212124.jpg
    995.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG20211230214936.jpg
    IMG20211230214936.jpg
    1,001.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG20211230215028.jpg
    IMG20211230215028.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG20211230215122.jpg
    IMG20211230215122.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG20211230215203.jpg
    IMG20211230215203.jpg
    897.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG20211230215144.jpg
    IMG20211230215144.jpg
    945 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG20211230215230.jpg
    IMG20211230215230.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
Thank you for your reply. They are in quite good condition - as opposed to the cutthroats from the same pack unfortunately.
I may even give one of these a go and keep it for the occasional use when straight cannot be taken.
I am really interested in history behind them too. Thanks again you for your reply - this is something to catch onto during the research.

Funnily enough I did see this photo earlier on while lurking around here and for some reason (holiday tired brain maybe) I have never realised it's the same razor. Fantastic. Thank you for your reply. Setting to cling onto while researching.
Have several other single edges to post and ask about somewhere else. Seems like a whole night of reading and no sleeping.

I think the first one is a 1917 Old Type. The serial number is probably E017995 - but not sure about the first number being 0 (they did not use I for serial numbers).

Take a look here for date info
Date info

And here for pictures
Mr - Razor
Thank you for reply. Letter in the serial seems a bit faded so you must be right. It is an E.

Yes, that's a nice single ring, and No.77 set.
If you get into Gillette safety razors you'll find the same razor was offered with different names depending on the case they put it in (some cases more premium than others).

For instance... that No.77 would be a No.88 of it were in a metal case with a flip up blade bank.

Enjoy the rabbit hole... if you want to cut to the chase, just buy a bottom dial, double ring, 1934 aristocrat, and a toggle to complete your collection! Then maybe a red tip, blue tip, fatboy, slim, a few techs... have fun!

Yes, that's a nice single ring, and No.77 set.
If you get into Gillette safety razors you'll find the same razor was offered with different names depending on the case they put it in (some cases more premium than others).

For instance... that No.77 would be a No.88 of it were in a metal case with a flip up blade bank.

Enjoy the rabbit hole... if you want to cut to the chase, just buy a bottom dial, double ring, 1934 aristocrat, and a toggle to complete your collection! Then maybe a red tip, blue tip, fatboy, slim, a few techs... have fun!
Thanks for your reply.
I'm already bullied by my partner due to tens of straight razors stored around the house 😂. They are all projects but definitely not going out as quick as coming in.
Seems like receiving these two, couple Valets (one in similar box) and 3 great condition Rolls (one brand new) in my last shipping of straight razors may be a lovely start of me being kicked out and homeless 😅.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Jackpot! Two excellent shaving razors! The RFB is one of my favorite vintages. The Single Ring ain’t so bad either. 😀

Thanks everyone for answers.
What would be everyone's recommendation if I'd ask which one out of two should I keep?

I have never in my life shaved with any of these or similar. Using only straight razors for years now. I'll probably end up doing what you guys are recommending and buy some razors to try both and see which one I like. Then on the other hand I don't know if it's worth to keep any only if I'm up to be using it once a year or so while I can't pack straight with me (for example on the plane).

And excuse my ignorance but I'm still bit confused. Is the RFB the one in bakelite box?

Thanks for your reply.
I'm already bullied by my partner due to tens of straight razors stored around the house 😂. They are all projects but definitely not going out as quick as coming in.
Seems like receiving these two, couple Valets (one in similar box) and 3 great condition Rolls (one brand new) in my last shipping of straight razors may be a lovely start of me being kicked out and homeless 😅.
Well, at least you'll be a clean shaven homeless guy!

Top Bottom