What's new

Couple of new brushes.

Keep the knot in the red Dubl Duck brush or replace it

• Total voters
I made a trade for the Fuller brush a member had on here. Another member graciously gave me a brush from @Graydog. I'm starting to feel like I'm in pokemon gotta get em all. I love every brush you make and everyone i see i want. I cherish these brushes. I also got a brush another member was selling recently. I was told it's an elite razor brush. The knot in it is so soft and I love it. I need to know exactly what knot is in it and who made it and where to buy it. It's the last brush in the first post. The one with MG on the bottom and the black O ring. I also got a pearl duck brush for like 5 bucks and a dubl duck brush that I'm having a difficult time deciding if i want to keep it as is and display it or replace the knot and use it. I dont think the original knot is useable though i will say for being boar the tips are the softest tips I've felt. They honestly feel as soft as the wolf or tuxedo knots tips. Can anyone tell me if the dubl duck knot looks to be useable also do you think I should keep it or replace it.

20200127_174614.jpg
20200127_174628.jpg
20200127_174622.jpg
20200127_174637.jpg
20200127_174640.jpg
20200127_174646.jpg
20200127_174634.jpg
20200127_174701.jpg
20200127_174655.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Nice brushes, congratulations. I would give it a spa and try it before re-knotting it. See what you think then. If you are not happy with the performance, I would then re-knot the brush.

Nice collection!

I was in the same situation last month with an EverReady 200. After giving it more than a few tries, I had the knot replaced with a Shavemac 2-band!! Simply terrific!! :a29: :a29:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Beauties!

IMHO, use the DD more, and THEN decide. It hasn't splayed yet, right? Maybe little used.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
That is the only thing I know for sure NOT to do. I've seen that said numerous times

Sorry! Hopefully someone will chime in.

I have bought used brushes, though mostly razors ... Soap, water; scrubbing bubbles on the razors. Nothing bad ever happened.

AA

For what my opinion is worth I'd leave that dubl duck brush as it is, whether to use or display. I think it's really handsome, and you said the bristles are nice and soft. Would be a shame to fix something vintage that's not necessarily broken.

Sorry! Hopefully someone will chime in.

I have bought used brushes, though mostly razors ... Soap, water; scrubbing bubbles on the razors. Nothing bad ever happened.

AA

I apologize I didn't mean it to sound sarcastic. I do appreciate your input. My only concern is it seems like something is dried into some of the bristles. Looks to be the same as the two spots on the handle and I do not know what it is.

For what my opinion is worth I'd leave that dubl duck brush as it is, whether to use or display. I think it's really handsome, and you said the bristles are nice and soft. Would be a shame to fix something vintage that's not necessarily broken.

I am thinking to keep the knot at least for now.

Get rid of the old smelly, caustic, cancerous knot. Cleanup the handle, and install a 24 or 26mm “gel” 2 band, while balancing out the weight. Once you break in and use that brush, you’ll know exactly why you did it.
I would do it for you, for the PIF factor.

I'd wet that boar down after a good wash with some vinegar and borax and give it a whack at a shave, see how it performed and go from there. Doesn't look like there's anything wrong with it to me.

Get rid of the old smelly, caustic, cancerous knot. Cleanup the handle, and install a 24 or 26mm “gel” 2 band, while balancing out the weight. Once you break in and use that brush, you’ll know exactly why you did it.
I would do it for you, for the PIF factor.

I am seriously thinking about doing a badger though if I do it's going to have to wait until I can afford a good knot and pay to have it done. I tried and ruined two brushes I'm not about to try again on this handle. I got a feel for good knots having the SHD 2band in the wild west brushworks Derek gave me. The SHD HMW on the heritage collection ever ready 3 step and the elite razor silvertip. I will never buy a cheap knot again unless its performance and feel comes close to these.

I am also tempted to wash the original knot and try it for the nostalgia but it does shed like a saint bernard in the desert in the summer. it may have dried out beyond being salvageable. but I may get a couple shaves from it.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Looking at your lineup of brushes in the picture
I would just leave it and use it.
It doesn't even look like it is broken in yet
To clean it I would let it soak in Dawn dish soap and make several lathers with it ,let it dry and Everytime you shave make a lather in a bowl and let it set while you shave then clean it like you would if you had used it. After a few times I would then use shampoo and conditioner and rinse it out and let it dry.
Then I would give it a whirl and see if you like it.
It is different from what you have in the other
Brushes and that could be a good thing.
Don't be afraid of using a comb in the cleaning process.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Germ tolerance is personal.

However. :a39: I was once given a silver ABC set - made in 1912, perfect condition - because the owner "didn't want to shave with some dead guy razor. Could have germs."

I took the chance. It's worth about $200 and shaves *great*!

AA

Top Bottom