What's new

Couple more 3D printed scales

Need to move the pivot hole and resize a bit, but the hard part of the design is done. Hard to pick up the sparkle they have with my phone camera. Designed in Fusion 360.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Great idea. Did you design the textured look or is that just how it comes out?

How’s the weight?
Texture is on purpose. I used transparent filament so that the infill pattern shows through the top smooth layers. Infill can be all sorts of patterns from just back and forth lines to honeycomb, triangles, etc. it’s purpose is to partially fill the interior space but save on material by only filling a certain percentage. 100% would be solid, 0% would be hollow. These are 30%. Not sure on the weight, I’ll have to weight them and compare to some old scales. I would bet quite similar.

Pinned in today to a Shumate that had warped scales.

Attachments

• 75480473-7D69-41E8-BDF0-3D8D3A2F8778.jpeg
    75480473-7D69-41E8-BDF0-3D8D3A2F8778.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 95
How durable do razor scales need to be? :001_rolle

Eventual warping is my only concern and if so I print another set in 30 minutes.

Two color version. Not pinned, toe end held together with double side tape just to see how it looks.
proxy.php

Nice looking scales. Would love to have a 3d printer to experiment. Creating the designs for it are probably a pain.
Can you create smooth surfaces that can be polished to a glossy finish like old celluloid scales?

Two color version. Not pinned, toe end held together with double side tape just to see how it looks.
proxy.php
problem with pic?

Nice looking scales. Would love to have a 3d printer to experiment. Creating the designs for it are probably a pain.
Can you create smooth surfaces that can be polished to a glossy finish like old celluloid scales?

problem with pic?

You can have a smooth surface by sanding, or if you use ABS it can be vapor smoothed with acetone. The plastic used in filaments is generally softer than acrylic or celluloid.

Many questions - this looks like a really interesting process. I assume you are able to modify your template files? Is that tough (no experience with 3d printing)? Is the colour design difficult? And approximately what are the materials cost for a set?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
A 2.2lb spool of cheap PLA filament can be had as cheap as $13 shipped. That makes an awful lot of scales. I like ABS better but it can be pretty cheap, too.

There are websites with ready to print files for download. Or you can use FreeCad on Linux for the design, then Cura for slicing into gcode that the printer can use. Not sure what you would use on WinDOHs or Mack. I have printed coffins, scales, brush handles, multi cases, sanding jigs, even strop D rings. There is a big maker community and getting help is pretty easy. Open source printers go for under $300 these days. I got my 500 x 500 x 500 printer for around $800.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
How did the brush handle come out.

Not bad. I used ABS successfully after disappointment with PLA. I think any nylon or ABS or anything with carbon fiber or whatever would work nicely. PLA might be good with like 95% (100% infill sometimes doesn't work very well) infill, a fairly hot nozzle, and an enclosure. The ABS one was not too bad. I put it in the acetone vapor chamber for I think 6 hours and it smoothed nicely. I stuck a Chinese knot in it and gave it away after using it a few weeks because that particular knot shedded a lot. If I ever make any more brushes, they will be ebony or ziricote, I think. But 3D printing is definitely doable.

Nice. Another option for people. It's going to be interesting to see in another few years what 3d printers can do.

Top Bottom