What's new

Country ham for Mother's Day

Pretty good the flesh has firmed up and feels good on the bone. Under cured can feel firm in the flesh but with play on the bone and that doesn't seem to be the case here. I'll get some pics up in a little bit.

Anybody else have this conversation with their wife?
SWMBO with some exasperation, "What are you doing with tripod now?"
Me, " Makin' Ham!"

Here's the pics out of the brine and patted dry.

Attachments

• $Ham1.jpg
    $Ham1.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 50
  • $Ham2.jpg
    $Ham2.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 50
  • $Ham3.jpg
    $Ham3.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 50
Thanks for the compliments.
That is a thing of endless beauty and possibilities James! What is the glaze going to be?
Blackstrap molasses, cane sugar, and a little rum thats infusing with allspice berries and peppercorns more of a mop really but it will thicken up as it smokes.

Thanks for the compliments.

Blackstrap molasses, cane sugar, and a little rum thats infusing with allspice berries and peppercorns more of a mop really but it will thicken up as it smokes.

Cannot wait for the results.

In the smoker with hardwood lump charcoal and cherry wood. Cruising along at bit over 200F degrees

Man that looks good. My weekly routine on Sunday is going to a friend's restaurant for country ham breakfast. I just got back, and now I am hungry for country ham again.

Organizing a strike force to liberate the ham and bring it to Indiana. Any southern Indiana members care to join?

That looks great James. What did you sauce it with?
I let dried currants soak in rum while I smoked the ham and simmered in a little water with brown sugar, a few fresh ground allspice berries, peppercorns, and a pinch of salt. Thickened with a cornstarch/water slurry, and finished by whisking in a knob of butter.

Organizing a strike force to liberate the ham and bring it to Indiana. Any southern Indiana members care to join?

Take a good look at my location - extrapolate further irony from there.

Last edited:
Sorry man, my brain was only thinking of eating ham. That certainly looks good. You look like you certainly know your way around a kitchen and smoker. Great job.

Top Bottom