What's new

Counterfeit Feathers?

IMG_20190920_041316.jpg
Hello I'm in my second year using a DE and have been using a Vanderhagen that I got from Wallymart. I got tired of buying the 5 packs of blades at Walmart and decided to buy some from Amazon. I did some research on YouTube and I learned that Feather was the most respected blade. I didn't want to buy the 100 pack for $22 just in case they were to sharp for me and went with the 50pk for $11. They do shave better than the Vanderhagen blades but I noticed they are difficult to get out of the packaging and have glue stuck on the blade from the paper. Is this normal for feather blades? Have I been scammed?

I have bought several Feather Tucks, the blades have a lot more glue holding the blade to the middle of its wrapper than any other blades I have used. Somewhere on this forum others have commented the same. If the blades are super sharp compared to any other blades, they are probably not counterfeit. If the blades are not noticibly sharper than whatever other blades you have used, they may not be genuine.

Yes very normal. Feathers are known for sticking their blades to the wax paper with glue dots.

Nothing to worry about at all. Enjoy the feathers. Sharpest blade on the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know I've bought and tried quite a few blades and I have yet to encounter a counterfeit blade. I have to suspect if random people just experience a poor shave and figure that the blade must be counterfeit. I mean counterfeiting an item that is fairly difficult to make yet sells for so little money doesn't make all that much sense.

My understanding was that it is wax not glue. In any case it is easily wiped off before using the blade for the first time. I take a tissue and with my thumbnail clean it moving to the sides and not the edge for each of the four blobs. The Feather wax is easier to remove than the wax on PPI blades that I use the same technique on.

Just hold the razor with the blade in it under hot running water for 20 - 30 seconds and most of the wax will dissolve.

When I sampled Feather I found the glue problematic. It seemed really strong! I fussed with the thing for a couple of minutes; afraid that I might blend the blade or cut myself in my struggle to remove it from the wrapper. I'm sure if I used them all the time I'd get the routine down and it wouldn't be an issue. Any opinion though on whether the glue actually serves a useful purpose when other good blades seem to get along without it?

Top Bottom