What's new

Counterfeit blades ??

I posted a link on this site years ago, to an outfit in China who sold 'counterfeit' blades. They put cheap Chinese blades into any packaging the customer wanted, and showed examples of their work. Astra and Feather were two I remember. If one was being pedantic one could argue they were only counterfeiting the packaging, as the cheapo Chines blades were 'the real deal' :w00t: . The Company in question was advertising on Ali Express.

Interestingly some members still didn't believe it, despite following the link.
I seem to recall that.

I don't know why it would be hard to believe. We know China produces razor blades, so obviously they have equipment. We also know that China has been known to counterfeit and to steal intellectual property. So why is it hard to believe that they could be producing counterfeit blades in their spare time? At least some of the counterfeit blades, I would guess, are probably even coming from the same factories who are also producing legitimately branded blades. I suspect they would want to keep their factories running at as full capacity as possible to get maximum return on investment. So some counterfeit blades may actually be usable, though an experienced shaver would probably feel a difference between a counterfeit and his regular blade, would be my guess.

I've been wet shaving for a year now and always ordered my blades from the USA ( i live in saudi Arabia) my favourite so far are feather blades which are a bit expensive 2.67 for a pack of 5

So recently i found out that most stores here sell DE blades for much much cheaper i found the feathers for 3 Saudi Riyals which is about 0.8 dollars for a pack of 5 feather blades !! Also i found Gillette nacets for 2 Sar which is 0.53 USD for 5 blades and you don't have to buy these in bulks to get that price they are just priced like that for single packs

My question is do these look like fake blades, do they even make fake blades or is there any reason they are sold for much much cheaper here ?? Probably taxation and import duties in the US ? Both blades are not made in china as the box suggests the nacets are made in Russia and the feathers in japan

I have yet to shave with these blades but by the looks of them for blade experts do they look fake ?
I'd stick with Feathers.

I’ve heard of plants getting shut down and operations moved to another country. Some of the employees at the plants kept making blades on the equipment left behind, in sort of an employee owned business. Whether that’s true or just another urban legend, I couldn’t say. But it would account for the counterfeit blades I hear about. I think that in such a scenario, they wouldn’t have QC. Just pump everything out the door.

I can’t substantiate nor deny this. It’s just what I’ve read on the Internet, and we all know that everything on the Internet is true.
I have to wonder, if the initial investment on the equipment was over $1 million dollars, as a member above stated, and the equipment was still operational, would the company just move somewhere else and just leave their expensive equipment without trying to salvage at least some of it or trying to sell it for scrap?

It seems that ownership of the property would have to be transferred somehow, and that the company wouldn't just allow competitors to take it over. If it's a company big enough to move elsewhere and to afford buying new expensive equipment, they must have some decent lawyers who would be aware of the possibility of the equipment being left behind being used to copy their product, and take measures to insure that didn't happen.

I have to wonder, if the initial investment on the equipment was over $1 million dollars, as a member above stated, and the equipment was still operational, would the company just move somewhere else and just leave their expensive equipment without trying to salvage at least some of it or trying to sell it for scrap?

It seems that ownership of the property would have to be transferred somehow, and that the company wouldn't just allow competitors to take it over. If it's a company big enough to move elsewhere and to afford buying new expensive equipment, they must have some decent lawyers who would be aware of the possibility of the equipment being left behind being used to copy their product, and take measures to insure that didn't happen.
As I said, it’s what I heard and I can’t substantiate it. It’s one explanation of how counterfeit blades come about.

You are describing how things would work in the USA. This is in a foreign country where the laws and customs are far different than here.

As I said, it’s what I heard and I can’t substantiate it. It’s one explanation of how counterfeit blades come about.
I understand and appreciate that you didn't state it as fact. I was simply questioning whether it's likely.

You are describing how things would work in the USA. This is in a foreign country where the laws and customs are far different than here.
But, in what country would someone invest so much money in property and reputation, and then just wastefully desert it all so that others might counterfeit their product? Or would it be some place they don't actually own the factory and are just outsourcing manufacturing to where they can't guarantee that when they discontinue the contract that their trademark won't be misused?

Again, I'm not trying to argue, just looking for evidence as to whether it's reasonable or likely. I think you yourself alluded to the fact that it's worth questioning what you read on the internet.

I can’t substantiate nor deny this. It’s just what I’ve read on the Internet, and we all know that everything on the Internet is true.

I don’t have experience with counterfeit razor blades but I do with counterfeit canning lids. There’s only one brand I use because of the quality but I trip over counterfeits every time I restock. It’s so bad I try to avoid buying from the internet if at all possible. These aren’t high dollar items but somewhere there is plant that produces really low quality lids, and puts them in a counterfeit box (you can see the box difference when compared side by side with legitimate boxes). Luckily it’s really easy to spot a counterfeit lid when it’s in your hand. The rubber is very different and the metal stamping is very different. I have a few samples of the counterfeits and they’re always identical to previous counterfeits so I’m sure it’s a single plant or a company that uses the same manufacturing process.

From what I’ve read these are produced by a legitimate plant. They just want to keep their plant running. They’ll mass produce as many as you want so the counterfeiter places a legitimate order, sources counterfeit packaging and then sells them to public as the brand being counterfeited. The difference between charging $0.02
/ lid and $0.40 / lid.

The first time this happened to me I couldn’t believe someone would go to the trouble. It’s not a leap at all for me to think blade factories are knocking them out to keep their plants running. If they don’t care about trademarks it’s not a stretch to think they would custom print them with other company’s trademarks. As others have mentioned, it could be hard for inexperienced shavers to notice the difference.

Makes sense if ya sell enough of them.

I've thought that as well, but say: "If a counterfeiter sold bad blades to a blade seller and the blade seller's customers complained. The blade seller is out the money for whatever he offers to refund his customers. So the blade seller won't buy from that supplier again and probably leaves a bad review..."

I can imagine a bad blade supplier will eventually run out of people to sell to.

I've thought that as well, but say: "If a counterfeiter sold bad blades to a blade seller and the blade seller's customers complained. The blade seller is out the money for whatever he offers to refund his customers. So the blade seller won't buy from that supplier again and probably leaves a bad review..."

I can imagine a bad blade supplier will eventually run out of people to sell to.
My assumption was also that counterfeit blades would likely be of inferior quality, but the first article that VerbaVolant linked to
Seems to show that counterfeit blades can at least be usable, or maybe even the same, as they may be from factories that make legitimate blades and counterfeit in their spare time:
The district authorities decided that the packaging, but not the razors, violated Gillette's trademark, though Mr. Au Yeung said he thought the razors were copied, too.
It's an interesting read if you haven't read it yet.

It also says that most of the counterfeits go to Southeast Asia. I don't know, but I suspect that many in Southeast Asia don't have a huge selection of blades readily available, and take whatever is available at the best price they can, and I would guess may have no way of knowing they're counterfeit if they're at all usable, unless they are blade connoisseurs and do a lot of reading on B&B.

I don’t have experience with counterfeit razor blades but I do with counterfeit canning lids.
Interesting. Is this a fairly recent thing, or has it been happening for awhile? Although I haven't checked myself, a couple of people have told me canning lids are hard to find around here now, I think for the past few months at least. I suspect counterfeiters would especially take advantage of a shortage.

Maybe it's easier and less chance of getting caught to counterfeit smaller and lower cost items?

Interesting. Is this a fairly recent thing, or has it been happening for awhile? Although I haven't checked myself, a couple of people have told me canning lids are hard to find around here now, I think for the past few months at least. I suspect counterfeiters would especially take advantage of a shortage.

It’s always been an issue but it used to be a minor annoyance. COVID really sent it over the top. More people growing their own food. I think you’re dead on with counterfeiters taking advantage of the shortage.

It is quite amusing to me how people who never had fake blades claim there are no fake blades. My guess is in so called "first world countries" it is very hard or close to impossible to buy fakes in both brick-and-mortar or online stores. It's a different story when you go to a nearby town and buy 2 packs of Silver Blues and after returning home you compare them to the real blades and realise they are fake.

They infiltrate official distribution lines with the fakes. This isn't just someone selling duds at a market stall. The ability to infiltrate official supply lines suggests a complex operation considering we have computers and bar codes etc.

It is quite amusing to me how people who never had fake blades claim there are no fake blades. My guess is in so called "first world countries" it is very hard or close to impossible to buy fakes in both brick-and-mortar or online stores. It's a different story when you go to a nearby town and buy 2 packs of Silver Blues and after returning home you compare them to the real blades and realise they are fake.

A few years back Connaught ended up with fakes in his inventory. He insisted he bought them from his normal European distributor, and I believed him. Polsilver SI or GSB I don't remember which now. A few years back our Health Service (UK) found a few million Pounds worth of dodgy drugs in their inventory. Media tend to focus on the high street market guy selling a dodgy handbag, but little seems to be said about 'high end' criminal enterprises.

They infiltrate official distribution lines with the fakes. This isn't just someone selling duds at a market stall. The ability to infiltrate official supply lines suggests a complex operation considering we have computers and bar codes etc.
Very true statement.

Count me In the skeptical camp. I do not understand why somebody would try to make their riches this way when margins are so low. There's so much else that you could counterfeit that would actually make you reasonable money. Razor blades do not seem to be it to me. It just doesn't make sense.
It makes sense if the material used (even if it's the same material) is many times cheaper in the country counterfeit is produced...and workforce also...and you have shipping subsidy...and no law for trademark or copyright or anything in that matter...etc...AND you have a country populated by 1.4 billion people for start :D Margins are much higher than you think, then :D

While modern, high quality equipment is quite fancy, I doubt that old equipment used to manufacture razor blades cost nearly that much. And I imagine there would be some old stuff still around. Then if you have blank spools of steel, you could go into business. Sort of.

The problem is printing the packaging.

China has everything needed to produce counterfeit packaging because they have the equipment to produce the original packaging. They've got plenty of cheap steel. And they probably have surplus capacity on DE machinery. They produce some incredibly bad DE blades (and some very good), so all they have to do is change the labeling, and the value skyrockets.

There is lots of counterfeit stuff sold in China. Virtually every local I met refused to buy anything made by "Sandisk" even though I found genuine stuff. Everything I bought labeled Kingston was counterfeit, though.

There is strong evidence for counterfeit Feathers.

Some reviewers complain of a sudden drop in quality in their favorite brand, as well as changes in labeling.

This could be counterfeiting. It could be poor quality control. Or it could be P&G and Edgewell buying up another brand and slashing quality.

If you don't think counterfeit products are sold on Amazon, you haven't been paying attention. If you think an imported product is counterfeit, you can report it to a federal agency. Do an online search. They can prosecute.

My favorite brand has hologram security stickers on the carton and tucks. So they apparently think there is a risk of counterfeiting.

I posted a link on this site years ago, to an outfit in China who sold 'counterfeit' blades. They put cheap Chinese blades into any packaging the customer wanted, and showed examples of their work. Astra and Feather were two I remember. If one was being pedantic one could argue they were only counterfeiting the packaging, as the cheapo Chines blades were 'the real deal' :w00t: . The Company in question was advertising on Ali Express.

Interestingly some members still didn't believe it, despite following the link.
I have physically been to counterfeiting facilities in China, absolutely it is true, some being virtually 100% manual operations...

Top Bottom