What's new

Couldn’t Wait

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I ordered one today! Yall are a bad influence, haha.

upload_2019-2-6_17-49-47.png

I'm disappointed in the Semogue 1305. The Semogue 610 is better. The PAA Atomic Rocket is the berries. The 11047 is a close second.

Did I coin the concept of the "knock down" pass. I doubt it. ;)

Since last week I've been performing a knock down pass with various razors including GEM MMOC and Feather SS followed by two passes with the SR of the day resulting my kind of finish.

Changed up my shave strategy this morning and used the 11/16 Theo Koch's Marcella for three passes. This one has the Thuringian dripping water edge.

Are each of your passes in a different direction (WTG/XTG/ATG)? Or are you doing 3 WTG passes? Thanks!

WTG and ATG on my neck and corners. Two WTG on the sides. One XTG on the sides. Still experimenting.

My beard grows fast, so chasing a smooth feels last 2-3 hours .

Knock down with a nearly dull Feather Pro Guard blade (lots of resistance) followed by two pass with the F. Herder. The knock down is the secret. Doesn't even require a sharp blade.

Did a knock down with the Torrey Our 136 followed by two detailed passes. I wanted to see if I was fooling myself into thinking by using a different razor for the knock down, I was helping the SR out. It was gratifying to learn it does not matter what you use for that first beard reduction pass. I got the same or similar result as I had be getting using other types of razors. The tugging on the knock down left with subsequent passes.

There are areas on my face where tugging will occur even with a new SR blade. In fact, the only razor that does not tug in areas is the Schick Type E. That just speaks to what a perfect design those old '30's SE really are.

So, the knock down is a fast and not detail oriented first pass?
Yes, and I realize this is probably causing you to roll your eyes, but it's changed the result for me. I've used DE, SE, Shavette, and other SR razors for that knock down. Everything seems to go better after the knock down.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yes, and I realize this is probably causing you to roll your eyes, but it's changed the result for me. I've used DE, SE, Shavette, and other SR razors for that knock down. Everything seems to go better after the knock down.

I guess what I don't get is why not just do the knock down and the rest of the shave with the same razor?

Not that I care if someone uses twenty-seven razors per shave. It's all good.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I guess what I don't get is why not just do the knock down and the rest of the shave with the same razor?

Not that I care if someone uses twenty-seven razors per shave. It's all good.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I've done that also. I think for me just doing a run through knock down, not even trying to get close and followed by two detailed is providing me with the best shaves.

The reason I am using the other razors is because I enjoy my vintage collection and want to assimilate them into my SR use.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've done that also. I think for me just doing a run through knock down, not even trying to get close and followed by two detailed is providing me with the best shaves.

The reason I am using the other razors is because I enjoy my vintage collection and want to assimilate them into my SR use.

Cool!

Today I did another experiment using the Feather SS as a knockdown first pass ATG on my neck and corners followed with a XTG on the sides of my face. The second pass was with a Fremont, Ohio Demascara 5/8 SR all WTG. Sideburns, nose, and under the lower lip was with the Schick E type as always.

I'm not after a no stubble result although I got close. It's more important to be presentable and for my face to feel healthy.

Been mixing it up lately. Using one of the straights for a pass then the Feather SS, with the detail work with the Schick E type as always. I'm settling in to what works. Lots of things work. Some work better than others.

Top Bottom