What's new

Couldn’t Wait

Had a first shave on a coticule edge. All I can report is that it is possible because I do not know of the quality of the edge I produced. I used the Feather SS folding to clean up.

What do you mean? It’s possible to hone with one, but you cannot quantify the edge, but it shaves well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did several dozen more laps on Coticule and clear water last night. The 5/8 Salamander continues to develop. If I am learning anything, it is that finishing is not 100 strokes on a stone. It's whatever it takes and the only way to learn is hone and test. The problems of course is that it takes 24 hours. I hope to learn from this process that I can shave well off a Coticule. I was very pleased this morning with how better the Salamander shaved after last evenings laps.

I did several dozen more laps on Coticule and clear water last night. The 5/8 Salamander continues to develop. If I am learning anything, it is that finishing is not 100 strokes on a stone. It's whatever it takes and the only way to learn is hone and test. The problems of course is that it takes 24 hours. I hope to learn from this process that I can shave well off a Coticule. I was very pleased this morning with how better the Salamander shaved after last evenings laps.

I’m finding that out with my Naniwa. I don’t even count strokes yet. I have reduced stropping from 60 to 40 laps and haven’t noticed a difference and I don’t think barbers stropped much more than 10 laps.

I keep shaving and perfecting my technique until I wonder whether sharpness is the issue since my shaves aren’t improving. Then back to the stone I go.

I’m at a point where my face is BBS, but my submandibular triangle is DFS at best. That’s the point where it’s really difficult to tell whether it’s technique or the edge. DEs are difficult at that point too.

I’m finding that out with my Naniwa. I don’t even count strokes yet. I have reduced stropping from 60 to 40 laps and haven’t noticed a difference and I don’t think barbers stropped much more than 10 laps.

I keep shaving and perfecting my technique until I wonder whether sharpness is the issue since my shaves aren’t improving. Then back to the stone I go.

I’m at a point where my face is BBS, but my submandibular triangle is DFS at best. That’s the point where it’s really difficult to tell whether it’s technique or the edge. DEs are difficult at that point too.

Try glycerin soap before you shave.

I have issue with my under-chin patch as well. Most days I’ll leave it at the point where it doesn’t feel BBS during the shave, but it will dry down to a BBS after the face normalizes. This area and the upper lip area are another reason why I usually favor a DE to finish the shave, the stubble in those areas is just so darn stubborn when it comes to the open blade for me. It simply takes a good chunk of effort.

I have issue with my under-chin patch as well. Most days I’ll leave it at the point where it doesn’t feel BBS during the shave, but it will dry down to a BBS after the face normalizes. This area and the upper lip area are another reason why I usually favor a DE to finish the shave, the stubble in those areas is just so darn stubborn when it comes to the open blade for me. It simply takes a good chunk of effort.

Yes, when my face dries, the hair recedes to DFS. I’m convinced that a slightly sharper blade should do it, but maybe not. After a few more honing attempts, and if nothing improves, I’ll accept that I have reached the end of the road, as far as honing is concerned.

A good high PH (very alkaline) soap does wonders to open the scales of the whisker’s tough outer layer. Any soap with a lot of glycerine (even if it’s a “tallow based” soap, some have a bunch of glycerine) will hold water in its lather right up against the whisker, hydrating and softening it.

Aveeno soaps are a wonderful blend of high ph, lots of glycerine, and good skin food to keep your skin from drying out. My shaves have made a good improvement since I switched to aveeno oatmeal bar soap for my face during my pre-shave shower. I will start the shower with a hot water rinse of my face, then I lather up my whole face with the aveeno oatmeal soap, and leave it that way while I proceed through the rest of my shower. When the rest of me is all clean, I wash with hot water and the same aveeno soap. My skin has been thanking me for the treatment, and my shaves are improved quite a lot by the more thorough hot prep.

Every now and again, I still do a no prep cold water splash then lather and shave. If I’ve not done it in a while, that also results in a great, smooth shave (provided me and my razor are up to it) but I can’t seem to get that method to work two days in a row.

A good high PH (very alkaline) soap does wonders to open the scales of the whisker’s tough outer layer. Any soap with a lot of glycerine (even if it’s a “tallow based” soap, some have a bunch of glycerine) will hold water in its lather right up against the whisker, hydrating and softening it.

Aveeno soaps are a wonderful blend of high ph, lots of glycerine, and good skin food to keep your skin from drying out. My shaves have made a good improvement since I switched to aveeno oatmeal bar soap for my face during my pre-shave shower. I will start the shower with a hot water rinse of my face, then I lather up my whole face with the aveeno oatmeal soap, and leave it that way while I proceed through the rest of my shower. When the rest of me is all clean, I wash with hot water and the same aveeno soap. My skin has been thanking me for the treatment, and my shaves are improved quite a lot by the more thorough hot prep.

Every now and again, I still do a no prep cold water splash then lather and shave. If I’ve not done it in a while, that also results in a great, smooth shave (provided me and my razor are up to it) but I can’t seem to get that method to work two days in a row.

Thank you for telling me about your experiences. It sounds like I'm on the right path.

I am going to follow the same process as yesterday with the same SR and see if my experience is the same. If it is, using glycerin soap must be the reason.

Just finished using the glycerin again and had a similar or same result. This soap is now entrenched as a pre-shave step. My face as a moisturized post shave feel.

Last edited:
After several days of work on the edge using the yellow Coticule stone, I achieved a very close and comfortable 3 pass shave using the 5/8 Salamander. So, now I know what a Coticule edge feels like and how it performs.

I can move on now and use other razors in my collection as I still have pasted balsa edges and Thuringian edges to experience.

Oh yeah, I'm sticking to my pre shave use of glycerin soap. :)

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've recently discovered that some of the newest and most recently available soaps actually improve my shave. That's mind blowing for me. I suspect I'm not unique.

My edges have gotten much better. There have been three turning points so far.
  1. Getting good at the burr method of bevel setting. If the bevel isn't right, forget it.
  2. Adding the Shapton Japanese Pro 12K stone (which not everybody likes much).
  3. Adding Arkansas finishing stones.
Not saying that any one of these means more than the other two, but the Arkansas finishers are the bee's knees for comfort.

To me, this is the deal.
  • If the edge isn't comfortable who cares how sharp it is (and vice versa).
  • A better soap gives a better shave.
  • Practice. Practice. Practice.
Happy shaves,

Jim

I've recently discovered that some of the newest and most recently available soaps actually improve my shave. That's mind blowing for me. I suspect I'm not unique.

My edges have gotten much better. There have been three turning points so far.
  1. Getting good at the burr method of bevel setting. If the bevel isn't right, forget it.
  2. Adding the Shapton Japanese Pro 12K stone (which not everybody likes much).
  3. Adding Arkansas finishing stones.
Not saying that any one of these means more than the other two, but the Arkansas finishers are the bee's knees for comfort.

To me, this is the deal.
  • If the edge isn't comfortable who cares how sharp it is (and vice versa).
  • A better soap gives a better shave.
  • Practice. Practice. Practice.
Happy shaves,

Jim

Jim, I think if the 12K does the trick for you that's all that matters. There are a thousand opinions, but only one that makes any difference. I wouldn't give a fiddlers dram who thinks otherwise. All I know is after nearly a week of shaves. I've gotten the coticule edge to provide a pleasing and comfortable shave.

The glycerin soap pre-shave is going to stay at present.

Happy shaves, Jim.

Used the glycerin soap again. Today's shave was with a SS Herder. This was the first SS blade that I had honed. The first time I failed, but the second time I succeeded. Apparently SS takes more laps than I was used to.

This blade has a diamond paste edge. It is very smooth and effective. I've able to shave off and experience the difference between a diamond edge, a Thuringian, and Coticule edge. I won't say I've come to any conclusion since all will work if the prep and lather is good. I am curious if the big 15/16 blade contributed to my experience this morning over say a 5/8. The weight has to be a factor.

Learned that glycerin is hydrophilic. Since we as SR users need hydrated lather, having a glycerin prep and glycerin as an ingredient in our lather soap has a practical use.

Top Bottom