What's new

Couldn’t Wait

I'm departing from conventional wisdom re so many stropping strokes. I also am doing them more slowly and making each one count.

I completed my 25th totally straight razor shave this morning. The last two were first uses with a Friodur. I honed it on a Naniwa 12K, as it seemed sharp off the bay. My wife got me a Nagura slurry stone which I used.

The shaves were amazing compared. They were BBS on the cheeks and DFS on submandibular and neck.

I backed off stropping from 60 strokes to 50 with no ill effect. Six strokes would be great, but I’d be happy with 20. Anyway, I’m backing off by 10 strokes each week until I reach 10, or the blade seems to suffer.

Anytime I’ve seen a barber in movies do it, which isn’t often, it seems like they do about six.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I completed my 25th totally straight razor shave this morning. The last two were first uses with a Friodur. I honed it on a Naniwa 12K, as it seemed sharp off the bay. My wife got me a Nagura slurry stone which I used.

The shaves were amazing compared. They were BBS on the cheeks and DFS on submandibular and neck.

I backed off stropping from 60 strokes to 50 with no ill effect. Six strokes would be great, but I’d be happy with 20. Anyway, I’m backing off by 10 strokes each week until I reach 10, or the blade seems to suffer.

Anytime I’ve seen a barber in movies do it, which isn’t often, it seems like they do about six.

The more and faster the more chance of rolling the blade I think. Quality over quantity, I suspect.

I've been reading that some like Thuringian stones as a finisher and some like the coticule. Since I am still learning to use these stones, I won't make any assertions, but so far, I prefer the Thuringian.

Today I did 100 laps on the Thuringian to see If I could increasing the tree topping and I did. It's not the best tree topper, but it can.

I decided to stop obsessing. Before I came here I'd never heard of BBS. I shaved in the shower and never touched my face during the day. I never remember looking at my face to see if my face was without missed patches although at times I would notice I missed a patch which I took as a lesson to pay better attention. This usually brought me to forums to see what others were doing.

Today I used a SR the same as I used to a safety. Just straight forward one pass and clean up mostly on my chin and submandibular areas. The result is, a very nice clean face. I'm trying to break myself of a bad habit of rubbing my face during the day. If I looks good it is good.

The best practice for me has been the use of a good brush and shave specific soap. It's a better idea than canned shaving cream for me. I've enjoyed learning to hone and using those materials including a couple of stone.

BTW, the Marcella 11/16 was touched up with a coticule, finished off with the Thuringian followed by horse hide strop. I'm pleased.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I was always aware of how close my shaves were or weren't. Long before I came here and learned terms like BBS.

However, I'm less worried or concerned or interested in BBS than I used to be. For one thing, getting my neck BBS is damn near impossible without greatly overdoing something (so far). For another, although I can get a much closer safety razor shave I'm learning the SR and having to settle for not the world's closest shaves. My straight shaves are, however, and this is the saving grace for them, oh so comfortable.

Comfort is a big deal!

proxy.php

For me, a one pass shave will never cut it. Maybe with a cartridge, but not with any safety razor or SR. I need many, many passes to get a half decent shave. Is that my lousy technique or my tough whiskers? I have no idea, but it is what it is. Maybe I should read up on how guys with really tough beards do it?

Happy shaves,

Jim

I’m actually reaching the point where my straight shaves are as close as my DE shaves and oh so much more comfortable.

This is one reason I finish my shaves now with a DE rather than an open blade. The balance between comfort, shave quality, and convenience. I can get the same shave fully with a straight that I do with a DE or SE, but it takes a bit longer and takes a little more care and chasing.

This is one reason I finish my shaves now with a DE rather than an open blade. The balance between comfort, shave quality, and convenience. I can get the same shave fully with a straight that I do with a DE or SE, but it takes a bit longer and takes a little more care and chasing.

I got into using a straight razor to experience the past and I think I’ve been successful. It doesn’t bother me at all to set the side burns and shave my nostrils with a 85 year old Schick. Good for you , Brother, for finding what works. :a14::a4::a50:

Have you considered making the first pass with a shavette and finishing with a SR?

I am determined to get the Salamander's edge effective. After reading several sources, I decided to do many more laps on the Thuringian w/o slurry, just clear, fresh water. I did 120 total, but at different times. I felt todays shave the best with this razor.

Using the corticule and Thuringian is replacing a 1, .3, and .5 micron films where I would do at least 30 laps with each film. It stands to reason that I should have been doing more laps on the stones than I have. However, with the Torrey, the result was much better than with the Salamander. Both razors are hollow types. Both are 5/8. Perhaps some steel requires a different progression.

I have not used any type paste for three weeks.

So, it's been an hour and a half since I shaved. My skin feels the best it has in days. I am satisfied I finally dialed in the Salamander and learned that on some razors it take as many as 100 plus laps on the Thuringian.

So, it's been an hour and a half since I shaved. My skin feels the best it has in days. I am satisfied I finally dialed in the Salamander and learned that on some razors it take as many as 100 plus laps on the Thuringian.

I’m beginning to think that’s true of the Naniwa 12K. I lapped my Friodur for the duration of a movie I was watching. I’m guessing 100 to 150 laps. It’s oh so sweet now.

I’m beginning to think that’s true of the Naniwa 12K. I lapped my Friodur for the duration of a movie I was watching. I’m guessing 100 to 150 laps. It’s oh so sweet now.

It's a nice past time isn't it, Scott!:a4:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It seems clear to me from my experience and reading that the whole thing is not very cookbook.

I'm not sure how to tell when I'm finished with any given stone. I don't seem to have the ability or skill or whatever to do it by the scratch patterns. I don't think counting laps and doing the same number every time is the way to go either. I think it's a feel thing coupled with how the liquid involved (the lubricant + everything else in suspension) flows over the top of the edge. Largely a feel.

Some of it involves mastering the balance point of the razor so that you're truly using the razor's weight only (and that does not seem easy to me yet). I seem able to move the razor and the stone as I should in one direction but not as well in the other direction.

Yes, I move both the razor and the stone. I have two hands so why not.

Is that the right way? I have no idea. Does it seem right to me? Yes it does. It improves how my laps go.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Today I intentionally shave rather quickly on the first pass just to reduce the hair length. This means I didn't linger on one area. I used the second pass for detail work. This was followed by clean up. In all, I cannot complain at all. This 6/8 Geneva has a Thuringian edge.

Had a first shave on a coticule edge. All I can report is that it is possible because I do not know of the quality of the edge I produced. I used the Feather SS folding to clean up.

Top Bottom