What's new

Couldn’t Wait

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
So, today I used a post 1890 Wade and Butcher (photo on what SR did you use today) that I touched up on the Thuringian yesterday progressing from mild slurry to clear water. Maybe 20 laps....The result was the best shave I have had with this razor. Since JR uses tape, I applied one layer for stone work.

I ordered a select coticule this AM. I am intrigued with slurry stones and wanted one to compliment the Thuringian. If I continue to obtain old razor to restore, I might get a blue coticule.

Rabbit hole exploration?

Today I used the first razor I honed back in early October. Its a Fremont, Ohio Demascara 5/8. Yesterday I did some touch up on the Thuringian followed with horse hide.

I'm able to now do ATG on the cheeks and other areas I had used a Schick E Type previously.

More and more of my friends here are on buying sabbaticals.

Stones are interesting me more and more. If I could get to shave ready with 30 micron films to set the bevel followed by coticule and Thuringian, I would be happy. If the coticule and Thuringian can maintain my existing collection, that would be perfect.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today I used the first razor I honed back in early October. Its a Fremont, Ohio Demascara 5/8. Yesterday I did some touch up on the Thuringian followed with horse hide.

I'm able to now do ATG on the cheeks and other areas I had used a Schick E Type previously.

More and more of my friends here are on buying sabbaticals.

Stones are interesting me more and more. If I could get to shave ready with 30 micron films to set the bevel followed by coticule and Thuringian, I would be happy. If the coticule and Thuringian can maintain my existing collection, that would be perfect.

If they can't I'd advise adding a Hard Black Arkansas finishing stone or the Norton Translucent Ark (the cheapest vendor is a hardware store).

Happy shaves,

Jim

So, I looked up the Translucent Arkansas stone and it's an oil stone. Not sure why, but I want to stay with water stones, splash and go.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
So, I looked up the Translucent Arkansas stone and it's an oil stone. Not sure why, but I want to stay with water stones, splash and go.

These Arkansas stones can be used with either oil or water.

I should clarify that statement. The hard Arkansas finishing stones (the Hard Black and the Translucent) can be used with either oil or water. Better still, you can use oil and just wash it off with soap and water when you want to so you can go back and forth with oil and water. That's how I use my Hard Black Arkansas stone. I wash the oil off after honing with oil which returns it to the pre-oil state. The stone does not soak up the oil, not even a smidgeon, so the oil or soap or whatever is purely on the surface and washes off just like you're washing a dinner plate. Easy as pie.

I've used the stone with water, soapy water, and oil. I prefer oil. I am using Norton honing oil and may end up thinning it a bit with mineral spirits. Or, not. I like oil better than the soapy water or water, but I like not being locked in.

My understanding is most people say the softer Arks need to be used with oil (and not water); I'm not sure exactly where the "soft" cutoff is and don't care as all I'm using is the finisher level stuff. However, there's a post where the gentleman has been using Arks of all sorts his whole life, Arks he finds in his neck of the woods, with only water. He's native to the area and knows where to collect stones in the wilds of nature. I'd assume he knows what he is doing with them.

Happy shaves,

Jim

These Arkansas stones can be used with either oil or water.

I should clarify that statement. The hard Arkansas finishing stones (the Hard Black and the Translucent) can be used with either oil or water. Better still, you can use oil and just wash it off with soap and water when you want to so you can go back and forth with oil and water. That's how I use my Hard Black Arkansas stone. I wash the oil off after honing with oil which returns it to the pre-oil state. The stone does not soak up the oil, not even a smidgeon, so the oil or soap or whatever is purely on the surface and washes off just like you're washing a dinner plate. Easy as pie.

I've used the stone with water, soapy water, and oil. I prefer oil. I am using Norton honing oil and may end up thinning it a bit with mineral spirits. Or, not. I like oil better than the soapy water or water, but I like not being locked in.

My understanding is most people say the softer Arks need to be used with oil (and not water); I'm not sure exactly where the "soft" cutoff is and don't care as all I'm using is the finisher level stuff. However, there's a post where the gentleman has been using Arks of all sorts his whole life, Arks he finds in his neck of the woods, with only water. He's native to the area and knows where to collect stones in the wilds of nature. I'd assume he knows what he is doing with them.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Great and thank you for explaining. :)

Coticule arrived. I lapped it with wet/dry sand paper and rounded the edges. Didn’t take much. Made slurry and made several lap with decreasing concentrations. Followed with the Thuringian and used the same process. Stropped with horse hide. Shaved with this razor this morning. I intentionally did not go ATG. Just two passes and touch up. It’s 8 hours later and my face looks and feels good.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Coticule arrived. I lapped it with wet/dry sand paper and rounded the edges. Didn’t take much. Made slurry and made several lap with decreasing concentrations. Followed with the Thuringian and used the same process. Stropped with horse hide. Shaved with this razor this morning. I intentionally did not go ATG. Just two passes and touch up. It’s 8 hours later and my face looks and feels good.

Slipping down the slippery slope?

Checking in here. Congratulations on making the transition (mostly?) to mastering the final pass. ATG was rightfully a challenge for me as well until I just pulled up my britches and went for it. I learned a lot in the time it took me to figure out all 3 passes. I’ve since gone back to 2 open blade passes and final+touch up with a DE for ease, but I’m happy to know I can accomplish the third as open blade whenever I like. :001_cool:

Checking in here. Congratulations on making the transition (mostly?) to mastering the final pass. ATG was rightfully a challenge for me as well until I just pulled up my britches and went for it. I learned a lot in the time it took me to figure out all 3 passes. I’ve since gone back to 2 open blade passes and final+touch up with a DE for ease, but I’m happy to know I can accomplish the third as open blade whenever I like. :001_cool:

I've always done ATG on my neck and submandibular area. It's against the grain on my cheeks that left my skin feeling scrubbed. I had to ask why I was doing it.

Also, I had started going ATG just below my bottom lip where I have a scar from childhood injury. Yes, I can do it with a SR, but now I am asking why since the Schick Type E can do it more quickly.

I am never going to try to go ATG under the nose. This area is thick and plentiful.

I got into using a SR for a vintage experience and I think I have it. I doubt men in the day accomplished anything but a one pass and clean up.

I shaved this morning with a J.R. Torrey produced Our 136. It came yesterday. This is the first one I honed from 30 micron to Thuringian followed by horse hide.

The comfort of this shave was outstanding and surprising. I never know how I did until I shave. I was concerned about the slurry on the coticule, then if I should make slurry or no on the Thuringian. Or, if these two stones were too close in grit. As you know, both can vary with slurry or no slurry.

I did 30 laps on the 30 micron followed with 20 laps on 12, 9, and 3 micron films. These were followed by the new yellow coticule and so forth.

Torrey ads circa 1909 said after shaving less than six stropping strokes were needed. I'm departing from conventional wisdom re so many stropping strokes. I also am doing them more slowly and making each one count.

Top Bottom