What's new

Couldn’t Wait

It's Micromatic Monday. First pass with the Salamander and second with the BMMOC. The salamander is the first razor bevel set I used the Coticule and Thuringian mid hone. The result is one of the best shave edges to date.
BMMOC.jpg

This old Holler was transformed recently by the 200k diamond paste. The result is a very efficient edge, not a lot of stokes to get a good result.

The New Standard, using a Feather with several uses, did okay on the second pass. The ATG cheeks and clean up was given back to the Holler.

New Standard.jpg

Red Tip.jpg
#49 Herder had first honors with the grain and the '59 Red Tip did a ATG pass followed by a last pass and clean up with the Herder. I would have thought the Red Tip with a new Lord SS blade would have cut better. No problem as the Herder got rid of what the Gillette left behind.

Friday's shavette was very satisfying. The 200k edge was only linen and horse stropped last night followed by a few palm strops.

This is an edge produced by member @steveclarkus and it the reason I now use diamond paste after a time of shaving off a MMTT Thuringian.
Wester.jpg

What a plain jane looking razor. This is a Reg 80 German made and imported M.Jung. You can find them all the time, but not in this little or no use condition as found some time back. Paid $20. 5/8 and hollow.

This one as the 200k diamond edge and will shave as close as you choose. More time, more detail, more BBS.

Jung.jpg

I have a M JUNG 80, blade looks good, scales need replaced. Haven't honed it yet but will after scale replacement. Glad to hear it shaves well,I only bought it because my name is Mike Young, so, you know........

Problem child no more. Maybe it just needed more diamond laps. This little Salamander took care of 32 hours of growth with little or no resistance. So happy I finally got this little razor to work.
Salamander.jpg

Near shavette edge on the 200k #136. What I am learning, the hard way, is the closer I want my shaves the more likely I am to cut my face.
TT.jpg

Gen.jpg

Geneva Pyramid 7 (6/8)

This has always been a great razor. Paid less than $20 last year and took is through my usual 30-.3 micron progression. Now that I have the diamond/balsa worked out, the Geneva now sports a 200k aka Near Shavette edge. What I mean by near shavette is the efficiency of the edge in cutting the most with each stroke.

Used the two 1920's Salamanders this AM. Superb "near shavette" 200k edges made the shave of little effort.
2 Sal.jpg

Fremont, Ohio made Demascara 5/8 finished to 200k. Took to the Cella soap and Atomic Rocket made lather reasonably well. No tugging, but not as effective as the Salamanders yesterday, but that may just be the user and not the edge.
Demascara.jpg

Challenge Cutlery's The Celebrated Rifle Razor 5/8, 1899-1928
STRAZORS.com - all about classic razors - Challenge Cutlery Company, Bridgeport, Conn.
Rifle.jpg

Where to start, this is another 200k edge that I just stropped on linen and horse last evening. The razor cuts easy including ATG on some areas. Face feel smooth and comfortable post shave. I could have gotten closer had I wanted. That seems to be the thing about using a shavette or 200k edge, the power to shave exists and just depends on how smooth you dare to achieve.

The owner of this trademark was John S.Höller & Co. They were in business 1867-1906.
This importer was originally at 94 Duane Street, New York City. It was managed by August Von Dorp under the name John S. Holler & Company.
By 1906, they were being run by Charles A. Von Dorp and Otto Gericke.
Knives with this marking were made in both Germany and England.
Adolph Blaich of San Francisco was an agent and importer of knives from John S.Höller.
STRAZORS.com - all about classic razors - Barber's Gem, The Tower Brand 200.

This is one I found that kept me near the computer until the auction had ended. Paid nearly $40. Considering the razor is 113 years old, not in bad condition. I have seen these scales on other brands.

The shave consisted of face wetting, Palmolive tube soap, Semogue 610, Sea Breeze and Aqua Velva.

Edge was prepared on films and 200k pasted balsa. The result was near shavette.
Holler.jpg

Oh yeah, this one was branded for the Donahue Hardware Company during the same era as the razor was made.
Donahue Hardware | Historic Tours & Markers | Erie County Historical Society

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The owner of this trademark was John S.Höller & Co. They were in business 1867-1906.
This importer was originally at 94 Duane Street, New York City. It was managed by August Von Dorp under the name John S. Holler & Company.
By 1906, they were being run by Charles A. Von Dorp and Otto Gericke.
Knives with this marking were made in both Germany and England.
Adolph Blaich of San Francisco was an agent and importer of knives from John S.Höller.
STRAZORS.com - all about classic razors - Barber's Gem, The Tower Brand 200.

This is one I found that kept me near the computer until the auction had ended. Paid nearly $40. Considering the razor is 113 years old, not in bad condition. I have seen these scales on other brands.

The shave consisted of face wetting, Palmolive tube soap, Semogue 610, Sea Breeze and Aqua Velva.

Edge was prepared on films and 200k pasted balsa. The result was near shavette. View attachment 1006815

Oh yeah, this one was branded for the Donahue Hardware Company during the same era as the razor was made.
Donahue Hardware | Historic Tours & Markers | Erie County Historical Society

I like the scales. I think I had some very similar scales (but they were broken by me; I don't remember how). I think my similar scales were yellow).

These shoulder-less blades have a strong appeal for me, too, as they are easier to hone (in my view). If there's a downside to shoulder-less scales I don't know what it is.

You must have really wanted this one. You usually spend far less than $40 being an accomplished bargain hunter.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom