What's new

Couldn't decide, so I bought 7 samples

Time for my third ever razor blade purchase since I started wet shaving 10+ years ago. (I did go a few years without shaving, just kept a shortly trimmed beard). I started with a 100 pack of Astra SP. I remember liking them, they were nice and mild and newbie-friendly. But I had no frame of reference to compare against. When those ran out I bought a 100 pack of Feather Hi-Stainless in a black and red box I think. I had read here that they were sharper. Well, I used up 96 of them and never liked them all that much but I used them anyway. Maybe it's the sharpness, I'm not sure, but they feel like they butcher my face up.

I've been reading through this sub-forum trying to find what others think is good, and I decided to order several of them in quantities of 5-10. Here's what I decided to try.

- Personna Israeli Reds
- Personna Blue
- Gillette 7 o'clock Yellow
- Gillette 7 o'clock Green
- Lord Extra Super Stainless
- Lord Platinum
- Shark Super Stainless

I also have a 5 pack still laying around of the Astra SP, so I'll put those into the rotation as well and give them another look.

A solid list. You might consider adding Gillette Perma-Sharps for a future trial. I put them in my top tier; especially, if you like the other Gillettes on your current list. Cheers.

I've bought so many sample packs over the years and could rarely tell them apart so if they were decent, I'd buy a hundred. Now, I'm pushing 1000 blades, mostly just 10 or so different brands/models. I still really can't tell much of a difference. I do think the Feathers are sharper and I tend to use those in my Ball End Techs (a gold one and a silver one) and my AS-D2. But pretty much any of the different other blades work in any of my razors. Derby Extras, Personna Labs, Kai, PolSilver Iridiums, Silver Blues, Gillette Platinum, Nacets, Wikinsons (the older ones), Astra Sps, and maybe one or two more.

Time for my third ever razor blade purchase since I started wet shaving 10+ years ago. (I did go a few years without shaving, just kept a shortly trimmed beard). I started with a 100 pack of Astra SP. I remember liking them, they were nice and mild and newbie-friendly. But I had no frame of reference to compare against. When those ran out I bought a 100 pack of Feather Hi-Stainless in a black and red box I think. I had read here that they were sharper. Well, I used up 96 of them and never liked them all that much but I used them anyway. Maybe it's the sharpness, I'm not sure, but they feel like they butcher my face up.

I've been reading through this sub-forum trying to find what others think is good, and I decided to order several of them in quantities of 5-10. Here's what I decided to try.

- Personna Israeli Reds
- Personna Blue
- Gillette 7 o'clock Yellow
- Gillette 7 o'clock Green
- Lord Extra Super Stainless
- Lord Platinum
- Shark Super Stainless

I also have a 5 pack still laying around of the Astra SP, so I'll put those into the rotation as well and give them another look.
Check out the Blade Exchange, great place to share and gain. Also email wizashave.com and ask for a sample tuck. Free and another great blade for some razors.

Great choices!
I'll join in on adding to your list of 7, LOL!!
Gillette Platinum
Wilkinson Sword (Made in Germany)
Bic Chrome Platinum

Check out the Blade Exchange, great place to share and gain. Also email wizashave.com and ask for a sample tuck. Free and another great blade for some razors.
Thanks for pointing out the Blade Exchange!

I have heard very good things about the Persona Israeli Reds and the Persona Lab Blues and I look forward to hearing how you like them.

Top Bottom