What's new

Could you strop a DE razor blade?

You could strop or even sharpen a d/e blade but I think the better results than by hand could be achieved using something like an Edge Pro sharpening system. I've used mine for all types of sharpening. The trick to getting the sharpest edges are by keeping the angle consistent, which is not easily achievable by hand, when sharpening on any medium. I've made my own honing blanks using aluminum, glass, and medical tape. I've used Mother's Aluminum Mag polish applied onto the tape. I've used my Edge Pro for years now on my knives and it's the best sharpening system out there if you want consistent edges, though I've not tried it for d/e blades. The other method one could try is using paper sharpening wheels. I've been also using these wheels for a few years now and can get very respectable edges in a shorter time than using the Edge Pro. The Edge Pro can give a razor edge but it takes some time to get there. Honestly, with the cost of good d/e razors being so low I don't think it's worth trying to sharpen one.

My brother says he used to sharpen his with a drinking glass. Run it back and forth inside the glass, the curvature of the glass put a good edge on it. He swears he could use one blade for a year. My brother always was a cheap bastard. Might be a liar too, for all I know...
:lol: You made me chuckle!

Here is a glass one. $$(KGrHqJ,!iIFD4Tz4EOuBRKl(wwN8g~~60_3.JPG$$T2eC16d,!zEE9s3!Y81-BRKl(zBwSQ~~60_3.jpg

There's been several discussions about "corking" a DE blade, i.e. running the edge several times in one direction through a wine-cork.

In theory, this helps to align the edge, much like stropping, and results in maintaining the sharpness for increased longevity.

I tried it a few times, but found it more trouble than its worth. What I think it did was to get the edge squeaky-clean by removing any residual soap scum. This gives an illusion of sharpness, but really does little to improve a used edge.

I toss each blade after two shaves, regardless of brand.

After shaving, i strop the blade (each side) on the palm of my hand (on the pinkie side, above the wrist) for about 20 times. It also dries and cleans the blade at the same time, 30 seconds worth it.

I have a device called a mineplex that will strop both edges of a double edge razor blades. It works. I put an old blade in it, and it sharpened it better than a new blade.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I reckon you could strop a panda bear if you were inclined to. The question is would it be worth your or the panda's time?

I got a few vintage Gillette Thin carbon steel blades with 60's datecodes. After the 3rd shave, I strop them & they shave as smooth as brand new. I can strop them at least 4 times for excellent shaves.
I tried the same stropping after 3 shaves with carbon steel Treet Black Beauty blades, but it didn't help longevity. Stropping before first use DID give a smoother, closer shave & was good for 4 great shaves afterward.
Stropping stainless blades doesn't seem to make any improvement at all.

Gillette tried stainless steel blades in the late 20's, the Kro-Man blades (1), but people did not like them because they were tuggy. What made stainless blades work was that Wilkinson invented the Teflon coating in 1962. Then people invented methods of getting other metals like platinum and chrome on the edge to make them glide better.

So, when you strop a stainless steel blade, you end up with a Kro-Man blade from the past. It was not a hit then, and it will not be a hit now.

A carbon steel blade from Czech Blades or Treet could be a fun hobby project. :001_smile

------------------------
1) The Kro-Man blades have been covered here before:

The elusive 1928 three hole Gillette Kro-man blade - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-elusive-1928-three-hole-gillette-kro-man-blade.541813/
Rare Gillette blades? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/rare-gillette-blades.106223/

My brother says he used to sharpen his with a drinking glass. Run it back and forth inside the glass, the curvature of the glass put a good edge on it. He swears he could use one blade for a year. My brother always was a cheap bastard. Might be a liar too, for all I know...

Back during the days of the Great Depression when funds were scarce, this was a common technique used to extend the life of razor blades. Back then razor blades were produced from carbon steel without metallic, ceramic, or polymer coatings. Thus, honing a blade on the inside of a drinking glass or ceramic mug could bring a dull blade back to life.

Today most blades are stainless steel and are designed with coatings that are are important to the shaving experience. Some blades specifically caution against wiping the blade before use as this can remove some of the coating. If you purchase in bulk you can get a year's supply or longer for the price of a few cups of coffee. Thus, if you are sufficiently wealthy to be participating in this forum, there is probably little need to extend the life of your blades through honing. Of course, if you wish to try it for curiosity's sake, knock yourself out.

Well, the first problem with that is that stropping doesnt sharpen the blade. All it does is realign the edge. You cant really resharpen DE blades because they dont have a spine, so youd have to have some way to maintain the angle of the bevel.
Some people do strop their DE blades by running the razor backwards against their arm or their pants leg but it seems like the verdict is mixed over whether or not there is benefit to that.

When a 15c blade lasts 10+ shaves why bother trying to extend its life. It doesn't owe anyone anything. Bin it and grab another. If one can't afford 1.5 cents per shave, one has more pressing issues.

Top Bottom