What's new

Could you recommend a USA custom straight razor maker?

I would like to have a USA custom straight razor made for my primary everyday straight razor. I have a vintage razor now, and find that I really like shaving with a straight razor. But I would like something nicer than the vintage one I use now. So I could really use some advice. I was thinking of something in the $300 to $400 range, (which is a great deal of money for me to spend). I've been reading in this forum about Brian Brown and Jerry Stark razors. Are they both comparable in quality? Is there another craftsman that you would recommend that I consider? Thanks in advance for advice.

I have a Brown and it’s one of my best razors and I plan to add a second in the future. I think you’re on the right track and a few more would be the Zowada’s.

Thanks for the feedback. I have a follow-up question too. I have been shaving with a 5/8 razor so far. But when I order this new razor, I really like the look of the wider straight razors and wondered if a 7/8 would be something I could adapt to. I know it sounds foolish to just go by the looks of a razor rather than function. But I wondered if the wider razor could be adapted to okay. What do you think?

I was ready to buy a Brown last year when he stopped taking orders due to a large backlog so I bought a Portland Razor Co. razor and strop since I'd been debating between the two. I love the PRC razor and highly recommend it. I may still get A Brown in the future but have been happy enough that I haven't been looking for another razor.

As for size, I started with a 5/8, the PRC is a 6/8, and I have a 4/8. I think you'll do fine with a 7/8.

I have a PRC gryphon 8/8 and it is very very nice. If you are looking for daily user I would recommend a normal 5/8-6/8 razor from PRC or Brian Brown, both sell for under 200 ish. Both use 01 steel I believe and I would just go with whichever you like the look of more. When it comes to custom razors I think I would give Brian Brown the edge but if I got a custom razor I don't think I would use it as daily driver

I really wanted to be a 7/8 kind of guy. Honestly the 6/8 is just right for me though. To me it is not bad going up in size.now a 3/8 or 4/8 does take some getting used to. After time any tool starts to yield to your command. Good luck

Of the lot...Brian Brown comes in at #1. Sadly...you are probably gonna wait a while.
Jerry Stark razors are a fine bit of work. Of the three, his are probably the most artistic. He offers a number if razors “ready to go”, selling through his website and The Superior Shave. Worth checking out what he and Jarrod have in stock.
Portland Razor Co. razors are in my opinion the most straightforward of the bunch. They make a solid, no frills-ish product which you can trick out quite a bit if you are so inclined. I do not think they are the best “bargain” of the three. Good razor but I think a tad spendy for what you get. However, their “Kraken” if currently on sale for 15% off. I think that comes to about $153.00 plus shipping. Very good deal.
Doubtful you will make a mistake choosing any of the three makers.
Top to bottom:
Portland Razor Co.
Brian Brown (1 through 5 only)
Jerry Stark
6346F8CC-6119-44F0-BAE4-E92CF83B34DD.jpeg
01AE292A-602C-43D1-AF2D-816EB059C4EF.jpeg
83FAB8ED-27C9-48B3-8FBA-AB273EC66292.jpeg

. I have owned both Brian Brown and Portland Razors. Both make fine razors, but I’d choose a Brian Brown every time.

Without a doubt Brian Brown
I'd love to have more American razors, but the shipping and custom fees these days are prohibitive. There's a lot of good advice in this thread. Even so If I'd take anyone's advice in the matter it would be Doc's. I can't think of anyone else having as solid experience and knowledge.

Edit: Personally I love the looks of the thumb notch Zowada razors, but then they are very expensive.

I made a Buygroup (in my group FB Rasoio&Pennello Italian Group) with Robert Williams and I bought two blades, here are the photos.
They are razors that I love since the first day.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1690.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1690.jpeg
    734.3 KB · Views: 55
  • fullsizeoutput_1805.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1805.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 51
  • fullsizeoutput_182c.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_182c.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 48
  • fullsizeoutput_17ed.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_17ed.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 50
I currently have 4 x Jerry Stark, 2 x Brian Brown (1 semi-custom, 1 full-custom), 1 x Nate Zowada. If I were to only have one from this list of makers, it would be a Jerry in 52100 steel, 7/8 half-hollow, no thumb notch, jimps on bottom, camel bone scales. Work with Jerry directly, instead of something standard off TSS; he will make your razor very quick and very custom. If you aren't happy for any reason he will do everything he can to make it right, no questions asked. Unfortunately, I don't believe that Jerry is very good at honing, so be prepared to either re-hone it or have someone hone it for you.

I currently have 4 x Jerry Stark, 2 x Brian Brown (1 semi-custom, 1 full-custom), 1 x Nate Zowada. If I were to only have one from this list of makers, it would be a Jerry in 52100 steel, 7/8 half-hollow, no thumb notch, jimps on bottom, camel bone scales. Work with Jerry directly, instead of something standard off TSS; he will make your razor very quick and very custom. If you aren't happy for any reason he will do everything he can to make it right, no questions asked. Unfortunately, I don't believe that Jerry is very good at honing, so be prepared to either re-hone it or have someone hone it for you.

I really like the look of Jerry Stark's razors. I did contact him a few weeks ago and asked some questions, and he seemed incredibly good to work with... just a nice guy.

Who would you recommend for honing? I don't think I'm going to get into honing, at least not now - and it wouldn't be with my custom razor anyway. Not until I knew what I was doing (practicing on my older vintage razor). So, who would be the best to send my custom razor to? Anyone here have a recommendation?

Alfredo Gil (Doc226). Best in the business

I thought I'd let folks know how this all worked out. First of all, thank you (everyone) for giving me good advice. This B&B forum is a huge blessing for people like me. I'm about one year into wet shaving and just learning all this stuff, or at least trying to :)

I did end up working with Jerry Stark and he made a custom razor for me, that had all of the attributes that I wanted. He was amazingly good to work with. I'm sure the other custom razor makers are also great to work with too. I have to laugh, because at one point I asked him if these things I was asking him for was "okay" and he said "it's your razor and we can make anything you want" - he really is a craftsman AND an artist. He can just work with a fuzzy idea you have in your head and just take it from there.

I wanted a primitive looking straight razor with a fixed handle. I find that I like a fixed handle razor more than I like the folding SRs. But I wanted a western grind rather than a kamisori. Jerry asked if I liked "hamon" and I am embarrassed to admit I had no idea what that was. He sent me a photo of one of his razors with this and I loved the look (I thought it went perfectly with the primitive look I was going for). This is a hand-forged W-2, 7/8" razor. The handle is Amboyna Burl. It weighs 58 grams. It feels so good in my hand shaving.

I just finished mailing it to Alfredo Gil (Doc226) along with my old vintage SR to get them both honed, then later I am going to practice on the older SR to try and learn to hone my own razors. LOL, I may keep sending the Jerry Stark razor to Alfredo if I am not comfortable I can do it myself. Here's the razor:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom