What's new

Could you pick the finisher in a blind test?

Could you pick the finisher in a blind test?

• Total voters
Does anyone ever think an edge gets better with usage? I do. Even the hht gets better with stropping and moving the metal over time. For example fresh off the stones with a very fine diameter hair can be a solid 4. Over time With stropping and moving the metal hht 5. Btw I use very very fine hair extensions 'remey' very small in diameter hair. I make the test 'hard' so its not a parlors trick if you go about it correctly.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Does anyone ever think an edge gets better with usage? I do. Even the hht gets better with stropping and moving the metal over time. For example fresh off the stones with a very fine diameter hair can be a solid 4. Over time With stropping and moving the metal hht 5. Btw I use very very fine hair extensions 'remey' very small in diameter hair. I make the test 'hard' so its not a parlors trick if you go about it correctly.

In general no, but there are a lot of different steels and a lot of different finishers, all with different qualities.

My guess is that you’re wearing off a small fin or unstable edge that’s the right size that stropping can correct.

If you see this kind of behavior, try adding a layer of tape when finishing and see if the result is different.

In general no, but there are a lot of different steels and a lot of different finishers, all with different qualities.

My guess is that you’re wearing off a small fin or unstable edge that’s the right size that stropping can correct.

If you see this kind of behavior, try adding a layer of tape when finishing and see if the result is different.
I think it’s also possible that over time strops can become contaminated with abrasives. Fine slurry dust and/or diamond particles from stropping after honing for example. It’s possible that small amounts of these fine abrasives could have a beneficial impact on an edge.

Legion

Staff member
I think it’s also possible that over time strops can become contaminated with abrasives. Fine slurry dust and/or diamond particles from stropping after honing for example. It’s possible that small amounts of these fine abrasives could have a beneficial impact on an edge.
Also linen and leather contain silica, which makes even a clean strop very slightly abrasive. Only a tiny bit, but maybe enough to be noticed after a while.

I respectfully disagree, pal. No i don't shave with visible significannt wires, thats a very particular OCD subject for me! Imo theres always a wire depending on how much magnification your using, 99% of that burr is gone its as if you honed it as clean as you (or anyone) possibly can , meaning that 1% is so small its almost non-existent. Now i have before, and sometimes i still may, i check my edge after First shave and it tells me if i have ' fin' . I get my bevel as clean as my magnification and lighting tells me . If you have a wire (significant one) shave test then examine the edge, if you see flappy weak steel thats all over the place then you didn't hone down to strong steele' . Meaning one shave should not tare up an edge (with decent steel and healthy bevel angle) and move it all over the place.

I am referring to getting a solid hht-4 straight off the hones. And after say 4-5 shaves and stropping sessions it most of the time (hht) seems to get better sometimes a 5. My point is clean leather and linen do actually give positive effects towards the razors steel . Leather has silicates, and linen (flax) has silicon dioxide. Fresh off the hones i strop 60 linen 100 leather, but normal stropping i do 40 60. So if i shaved with the edge 3-5 times (then i have stropped,500 times in total in those 5 shaves) some type of melted/burnishing/plastic deformation happens to the apex in a positive way. If your edge got worse every shave, then you would not have gotten, 100+ shaves from that Sub Cero. Just saying ☺️

After a couple more days of comparison shaving I changed my vote to maybe, and even that's rather optimistic. This morning I used a fresh coticule edge and a trans ark edge with maybe 4 shaves on it. They were a little different but a lot more similar than I would have guessed going in. Confirmation bias is definitely a thing.

Stropping does have an impact too...the longer you go the more generic the edge feel becomes in my opinion.

Top Bottom