What's new

Could worsening relations with Russia impact blade supply?

So after trying quite a few blades, I'm about to make my first bulk blade purchase (100 Gillette Silver Blues). I gotta admit, one of the reasons I'm going for it is because I'm concerned that our souring relations with Russia might impact supply.

Is anyone else concerned, and if so, are you doing any stockpiling?

Also, I know we're supposed to leave politics out of our discussions, but my next question is more about foreign relations and I think a simple "yes" or "no" would keep things within bounds.

Is anyone boycotting the purchase of Russian blades because of recent developments?

I'm referring to tensions because of Russia's actions in Crimea and Ukraine this year.

Ah. OK. I actually knew about that. Blue star for me. Would not a trade embargo prevent Russian blades from entering the nation? Last I checked, it's still illegal to buy Cuban cigars, and most "Cuban" cigars aren't actually Cuban. I rather doubt we'd see an influx of counterfeit Rapira Platinum Lux razor blades.

As much as I know cocaine is also banned but it is available at every corner :D no it won't impact, maybe just prices will be higher for you guys in USA.

Anyway, if they became somehow unavailable to you, I can always sell you some Astras from here (Serbia). ;) :D

I think the bigger risk is not a ban, since blades are easy to obtain through third countries in the Middle East and Asia. Rather, the problem is that rising prices in Russia are accompanied by all sorts of regulations about state preferential buying policies which may lead to constraints in the supply of steel to blade makers which could lead to fewer and more expensive blades. Plus Russian rules require them to supply the state first (all those soldiers need to shave, right?) which would hurt exports.

Since most Russian produced blades are Gillette owned and licensed brands, I would believe, if the market was viable, and manufacturing in Russia became untenable, Gillette would relocate production to one of its umpteen thousand other facilities around the world.

Besides, for the most part, political posturing is one thing, economic reality is another. Russia is already feeling the inflationary impact of a crumbling Ruble. Mr Putin enjoys almost universal local popularity because his government is given credit for stabilizing and growing the Russian economy after the chaos and collapse of the 1990s (controlling mass media also helps popularity). If the economy tanks, regardless of who's blamed, Mr. Putin will be less popular, and he can't have that. The USA continues to conduct trade with Venezuela, Nigeria, Pakistan and Myanmar. I don't see a ban on Russian products on the horizon, unless of course, some much more serious event occurs, which would make luxury shaving whims seem pretty trite in comparison.

Top Bottom