What's new

Could use some advice from Pelikan M600/M800 owners!

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I was fairly adamant on getting the M600, but the past day or so, I have suddenly started leaning towards the M400 once more - that was the model I was thinking I would get when I went into all this.

The M400 is almost the same length as my Waterman in most respects, and posted, I would say the M400 seems to be a very well sized pen. As BMWRider said, it seems as though I prefer smaller pens, so why fight it?

In any case, I still have a few more days until I make my final decision, I'm leaving the purchasing to later this week.
The original M600 was the same size at the 200/400 but had an 18K soft nib and more gold furniture. Of all the modern Pelikans it is my favorite.

Top down, old 200, m400, original 600:
proxy.php

The original M600 was the same size at the 200/400 but had an 18K soft nib and more gold furniture. Of all the modern Pelikans it is my favorite.

Top down, old 200, m400, original 600:
proxy.php

Thanks for this comparison! I really love the old style Pelikans, I may well get one as a future purchase. I haven't even got my first yet, and I already feel like I have the bug!

I got the FP bug many years ago. Had my mothers High school Shaffer FP restored. Then I decided to purchase a nice new one. Bought a Pelikan M600. Several years later picked up an M400 then a few years later an M800.
I find the M600 to be the best fit for me. The barrel diameter is about 12.5mm, the pen is light weight and plenty long when posted. It fits well in my shirt pocket and holds plenty of ink. The M800 is a bit larger in diameter and length. I find it to be too long when posted. It does hold more ink than the M600. However, the deal breaker for me with the M800 is the weight. The filler system inside the pen is brass. The M600 is 100% acrylic and much lighter. If you can swing the cost of the M600, you will not be disappointed in your choice. If I had to choose just one, it would be the M600.

Sincere thank you to all who gave advice on this thread!

I ended up going with my initial gut feeling, and am now the very proud owner of a Pelikan M400! The size is perfect for me, and although I'm sure the M600 would have been absolutely fine as well, I have zero regrets.

It was delivered a few hours ago. I inked it up with Mont Blanc lavander purple, and I was screwing around with it for the longest time, writing "the quick brown fox..." "ABC 123" etc, but finally I decided to write a few lines from my favorite song, and man, I almost physically couldn't bring myself to stop writing. The way the pen just glided across the paper, and somehow seemed to enable me to make much more beautiful lines than I'm usually capable of. I get frustrated and tired so, so quickly when writing with ballpoints, but now I feel as though I could go on forever. It's almost like the fountain pen reveals more interesting little quirks in my (admittedly terrible) handwriting than I've ever noticed before.

I've definitely got the bug! I'll need to restrain myself from looking at more pen shops before next month, or else I might make a rash decision...

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
....and am now the very proud owner of a Pelikan M400! .... I have zero regrets ....

Great choice! Congratulations are in order, but you need to tell us which color you picked, the nib size, and of course a pic would be nice -- we all love those!

The 400 is the favorite size for me, I do own M600 and M800 pens but the medium sized M200-400 is the best for my daily shirt pocket carry.

Top Bottom