What's new

Could use a good fragrance Sommelier…

Situation:

A 59-yr-old man, giving his eldest daughter away at a wedding in North Carolina in early September.

This man, let’s call him Jeff, is a scientist who enjoys creating artistic retro style fly rods, and loves international fly-fishing travel. While he is most comfortable and at peace outdoors as far as he can get from the nearest road, he can summon the energy to be fairly well-composed in the few social events he attends. If you’re into Briggs-Myers’s personality classifications he’s been called an extroverted INTP. He doesn’t drink (anymore).

He’s not been too into fragrances but is interested in widening his horizon. He has 2 retro fragrances in his cabinet. A 1990’s vintage Halston Z-14 (for work), and a similar vintage Fahrenheit (for companionship, let’s just say, “well after Bible Study is over”).

He’s looking for something age appropriate that says “adventurous but refined outdoors gentleman who is very grateful for the opportunity to be Dad for the night”, while preferably staying away from something everybody wears. Budget isn’t a concern. I did just audition the SV 70th anniversary shave soap this morning, love it’s scent and notice they also have that as a cologne? Maybe that could work?

Recommendations?

E1C331B1-ACC4-43A3-BA5F-6EE8246CBB4D.jpeg

Hmmm

Lalique Encre Noire à l’Extrême
Narciso Rodriguez for Him
Floris no. 89
Saponificio Varesino Cubebe EdP (I know for sure they make that one)
Terre d’Hermès
Dior Homme 2020 (the one without the lipstick iris note)

Of course there’s always Chanel Antaeus or Trumper’s Eucris, but are you THAT adventurous? ;)

@Jeffish I think given your parameters, there are quite a few good choices. What narrows it down a bit is the wedding will be during a fairly warm time (excluding many really appropriate fall/winter specific frags). So here are my reccos keeping in mind that I want to stay with unique, adventurous and refined (in order of most outdoorsy to least outdoorsy):

- Floris Elite (juniper, fir, lavender, oakmoss)
- Penhaligon's Douro (lavender, oakmoss, sandalwood)
- Comme des Garcons Monocle Scent 2 "Laurel" (Bay, pepper, cedar, lemon)
- Houbigant Fougere Royale (green, lavender, oakmoss, amber/tonka...veers slightly more modern)

I would like to recommend one more fragrance that is not outdoorsy at all, but it is super-unique, super-sophisticated and very much age appropriate for a 59-year-old...namely Parfums Nicolai "New York" EdT. Wearing this is such a statement and powerplay for a man in his late 40s, 50s, and beyond. I haven't met many who don't like it. But it is more of an occasion frag whereas the others above can more easily be daily wearers.

Your description SCREAMS=
"Creed - Silver Mountain Water", but I personally don't like it very much. You should get a sample and see if it fits. It would be an expensive blind buy if you find out your wife hates it.

Safe bet =
Terre D'Hermes. A true modern classic that seems to stand the test of time really well. Pure class. Not generic in the least. It manages to be utterly unique yet completely accessible.

A little more adventurous =
Acqua Di Parma Oud. So, this is nice and formal for wedding use. The oud note is exotic. However, the paradox here is how well it does in warmer weather. This is good stuff. Pretty sure Fragrancenet.com has a big sale right now.

Something off the beaten path =
Zaharoff Signature Pour Homme is an extraordinary fragrance palette of sweet lavender, clean blue cypress and spicy black pepper that unfolds into an earthy, smoky woods and floral heart of Oud and Balsam, finally settling into a trilogy of warm, spiritual and sensual Myrrh, Sandalwood and Frankincense.

George Zaharoff is a class act. There are samples available, and he will write you a note on a nice card with the scent notes listed.

BTW,
RE: SV 70th EDP - I love it. It's one of my favorite scents, but it doesn't last long. It's too light for a wedding. It's kind of like Acqua Di Gio with less calone, less mint, more seaweed, and more white musk. I wish it lasted longer. It's gorgeous.

Are we talking saltwater fly rodding like around the keys and other parts of Florida? Then, yeah, this stinks like Creed SMW. It was a scent that i really looked forward to trying and was quite underwhelmed by it.

I agree with the Terre d’Hermes suggestion. I am also a “mature gentleman” with similar tastes—and I believe you just can’t go wrong with this scent. Nearly everyone likes it, it is unique, and it works well for younger and more mature fellas alike. It’s also still new enough (and not overplayed) not to smell dated.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Something Juniper.

Anything non offensive but will remind ones daughter of her father.

I was gifted some Green Irish Tweed by a wonderful member here that I wore when I performed the ceremony for my son and his beautiful bride at there wedding in late September last year.

If he hadn't given it to me, I probably would have worn my favorite: the now discontinued "Sierra" by Stetson. Coty put it out. Some would call it a winter scent, and it's CHEAP, lol, but it reminds me of me when I was able to be outside the house more than I was in it.

Ha! Look on the auction site by the 'Bay and be prepared to be shocked at how much it costs now.

Update:

You chaps are awesome! Samples of about half of the recommendations start arriving Monday.

I did get my hands on some Floris Elite and got my first lesson in “auditioning”. First go round with it was Thu afternoon. I got home from the lab/office and it was on the front porch. So naturally I opened and did the “spray, delay, walk away (thru the scent plume)“ thing. “Whoa - this is awesome sauce” was my first thought. More restrained than my Fahrenheit experience, less business-like than my Z14 comparator, and higher quality/more distinguished than my off the wall ghost town barber weekend fun comparator. Did I say you chaps are awesome? It‘s just spot on to what I was after - definite contender.

Here’s the interesting part. Friday AM I shaved, threw a spritz or two of the Elite on and dressed. This time it smelled distinctly different - including development a very off-putting “dirty ashtray” note. What the hell? Did a little elf sneak in my house and taint my new elixir? I came to realize that on Friday, the shirt I put on had just come out of the dryer, which had been run with a Bounce dryer sheet. I strongly suspect that Bounce and Elite don’t play well together. Important science safety tip - isolate the variables you can control! So I’m re-running laundry this weekend with all unscented supplies…

@Barbarian80; Yes! We are talking some saltwater flats time! I generally bypass Florida (about 450 miles SE) in favor of a couple weeks in the Bight of Acklins…..

Update:

You chaps are awesome! Samples of about half of the recommendations start arriving Monday.

I did get my hands on some Floris Elite and got my first lesson in “auditioning”. First go round with it was Thu afternoon. I got home from the lab/office and it was on the front porch. So naturally I opened and did the “spray, delay, walk away (thru the scent plume)“ thing. “Whoa - this is awesome sauce” was my first thought. More restrained than my Fahrenheit experience, less business-like than my Z14 comparator, and higher quality/more distinguished than my off the wall ghost town barber weekend fun comparator. Did I say you chaps are awesome? It‘s just spot on to what I was after - definite contender.

Here’s the interesting part. Friday AM I shaved, threw a spritz or two of the Elite on and dressed. This time it smelled distinctly different - including development a very off-putting “dirty ashtray” note. What the hell? Did a little elf sneak in my house and taint my new elixir? I came to realize that on Friday, the shirt I put on had just come out of the dryer, which had been run with a Bounce dryer sheet. I strongly suspect that Bounce and Elite don’t play well together. Important science safety tip - isolate the variables you can control! So I’m re-running laundry this weekend with all unscented supplies…

@Barbarian80; Yes! We are talking some saltwater flats time! I generally bypass Florida (about 450 miles SE) in favor of a couple weeks in the Bight of Acklins…..

Jeffish. This is all fairly common. I firmly believe that different fragrances perform differently in different circumstances. And that includes indoor/outdoor, weather, time of year etc. PArt of this journey is to try it in the different circumstances and find the ones that perform in the right circumstances the right way and then choose which fragrance to use on a daily basis depending on your expected circumstances. Have fun with this process. P.S. Elite is not an "easy" scent. It needs to be worn over and over before you can really haver confidence in it. And I think the base notes are where it shines...the top can be REALLY difficult at times.

Mucho gracias @steffenapelz! Indeed that is kind of what I’ve bumbled into! I got samples of about everything suggested, and for the last couple weeks have been picking one to audition for the day. More fun than I thought it would be and so much to learn as I play with where and how much to apply. I think I’m developing a bit of FAD….😀.

Thus far, 3 really have stood out in terms of checking the boxes. Those are Bois du Portugal, Acqua di Parma Oud, and one that wasn’t suggested, Acqua di Gio Profondo. All the others suggested are great and right up my alley, but there is just something about the top 3 that makes me say “whoa, I just love how I feel and smell when I wear this”, in a relaxed, contented, dare I say maybe even confident way.

P.S. I had to order a small bottle of the New York Intense upon sampling, even if I’m not quite ”ready for it”

Top Bottom