What's new

Could This Be Something Other Than an Ingrown Hair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh... Since going fully to str8's ingrowns have stopped and skin is clearer. If I switch back I can get small ingrowns but my thoughts would be to go see a doctor.

+1, dime sized spot could be MRSA... see a dermatologist, not just a regular GP.

Now, starting at 16 and continuing to 26, it could still be hormonal. I have oily skin and still had issues with facial acne well into my 20s, and even now at 50 I STILL get "backne" every now and then, and blackheads are a continuing battle.
Count your blessings... Having oily skin can be a PITA, but you also will look 10 years younger because of the lack of wrinkles and "healthy glow"

But see a dermatologist to be sure. A dime sized spot that is red and tender is nothing to play with.

"Maybe its a tumor."

"It's naht a toomah!"

But I would definitely go see a dermatologist ASAP. If it is an infection, you don't want it to spread. If it is the Ingrown Hair that Ate Manhattan, it could still get infected as other posters mentioned. "Don't risk it either way", wrote the guy who just a few weeks ago ignored an ingrowing toenail until it got infected and got reamed out by his podiatrist (me verbally and the toe surgically :blushing:).

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Sounds like an infected sebaceous gland or something. Could get nasty, yeah. If no improvement in a day or two definitely get you and your bump to a doc.

Its probably not the blade itself, since feathers are so sharp you may be taking a layer or to of skin off to many when you shave with these and becoming more open to infection. Or you are causing ingrowns with them and those are becoming infected,.. even some experienced (im not sure how long you have been DE shaving just guess a little new) shavers dont get along with these blades

But i would say the blades themselves are not causing the problem, as much as you are just not getting along with them, at least for now,... after more time spent getting your technique down (again assuming your still getting there) revisit them again and see what happeneds with a lighter touch !

That is probably part of the problem, since I don't have as many issues with the not as sharp blades besides the tugging. I have been at it for over a year now but my technique still could be a little heavy at times. I am still experimenting with razor and blade combos but to date the weber with an astra sp gives me the least problems.

And back to the original thread, I would see a doctor if your issue persists.

Also maybe back off on the pre-shave oil and see how it goes.
If your skin is naturally oily, you may not need it.

It sounds like folliculitis. i just saw a Dr. today after experiencing the same issue. I have two dime sized spots on my my jaw that are so awolen that I thought I might have mumps. The issue happened after a massive dose of antibiotics. I basically didn't have enough healthy bacteria left to fight the staph that hit my face from somewhere. I am going to have to change my routine up a bit for sure until these monsters go away.

I second the opinions suggesting a doctor's visit. Sounds like it has to be some kind of infection or other problem. I can't imagine an ingrown hair causing that big a spot especially if its red and tender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom